Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 02:12 PM

1,369 posts, read 715,594 times

Advertisements

“ don't think it's a coincidence we're on our way to adopting the very practices required to mitigate climate change at the exact time it's required. Not for one second.”

You know how children are from experience, right? Do you think it’s coincidental when children work madly on a book report that’s due tomorrow?

Also, the world is chaotic and disorganized. There’s no plan. We’re not able to be that organized. We couldn’t plan our way out of a wet paper bag.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gr...-n-11635177557
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 02:16 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,675,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I don't think it's a coincidence we're on our way to adopting the very practices required to mitigate climate change at the exact time it's required. Not for one second.
They have been required for the last 40 years, the fact that they are this late is not a conspiracy. Or maybe it is, but more due to the energy companies that have been lobbying to push them back over and over.

Old 10-25-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
They have been required for the last 40 years, the fact that they are this late is not a conspiracy. Or maybe it is, but more due to the energy companies that have been lobbying to push them back over and over.
Exactly. People shape their world view from the news, which increasingly reports on what happened a few minutes ago and completely ignores what has been happening for the last 20-50 years. Things that you might think are a coincidence may well be not associated with each other at all. The Koyot protocols were signed decades ago… why wasn’t there a ‘plandemic’ then?

Look at that cloud? You see a duck, a rabbit, a whatever? Human beings have an innate ability to see patterns where there is none.

Old 10-25-2021, 03:39 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,676,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Exactly. People shape their world view from the news, which increasingly reports on what happened a few minutes ago and completely ignores what has been happening for the last 20-50 years. Things that you might think are a coincidence may well be not associated with each other at all. The Koyot protocols were signed decades ago… why wasn’t there a ‘plandemic’ then?

Look at that cloud? You see a duck, a rabbit, a whatever? Human beings have an innate ability to see patterns where there is none.
Again, you underestimate my attention to things. I don't know why you do this. I'm not new to any of the discussion and action (or lack thereof) on climate change and world policy.

The Kyoto Protocols were established in the late 90's, they were extensions of the 1992 Earth Summit in Brazil. I'm familiar. In fact one design that came out of that was "New Urbanism" and my neighborhood is considered a shiny example of this design. Before the pandemic it wasn't unusual to see busses carrying both international investors or city planners and officials here. We chose to live here in great part because of the eco-consciousness baked into the layout.

But the reality is there is a lot of "green washing". I was used by the community as the token greenie. See! See! How GREEN we are! Just look at FSM! I wrote articles, participated in different groups and businesses. Even did some activism and community organizing.

But it was really frustrating to 1) Try to convince people of the problem in the first place that wouldn't begin to open their hearts and minds 2) Deal with our own hypocrisy. 3) Realize how ineffective individual efforts would always be.

James Hansen approached Congress in the late 80's, but the economy just kept growing. Politicians just kept ignoring it.. or just giving it a little lip service. Treaties were signed but not enforced. Kinda like our vaccine card mandate.

Can't blame them. Not really. But the problem needed to be dealt with eventually. I could only wonder the ways it would happen.

By the way. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. You believe what you want, I believe what I want. Doesn't change a damn thing either way.

I was more responding to someone else and a video they posted. I really like that video and spoke to me on several levels or several thought processes.

Humans are especially capable to see and seek patterns. We seek novelty because it gives us an evolutionary advantage. We seek new patterns so we can make predictions. The more we can predict, the more we can control.

I see patterns that suggest a certain narrative and I have yet to see evidence that counteracts it. Wait, collect evidence, analyze information, collect more...

I'm not getting my information from clouds.

Old 10-26-2021, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Again, you underestimate my attention to things. I don't know why you do this. I'm not new to any of the discussion and action (or lack thereof) on climate change and world policy.

The Kyoto Protocols were established in the late 90's, they were extensions of the 1992 Earth Summit in Brazil. I'm familiar. In fact one design that came out of that was "New Urbanism" and my neighborhood is considered a shiny example of this design. Before the pandemic it wasn't unusual to see busses carrying both international investors or city planners and officials here. We chose to live here in great part because of the eco-consciousness baked into the layout.

But the reality is there is a lot of "green washing". I was used by the community as the token greenie. See! See! How GREEN we are! Just look at FSM! I wrote articles, participated in different groups and businesses. Even did some activism and community organizing.

But it was really frustrating to 1) Try to convince people of the problem in the first place that wouldn't begin to open their hearts and minds 2) Deal with our own hypocrisy. 3) Realize how ineffective individual efforts would always be.

James Hansen approached Congress in the late 80's, but the economy just kept growing. Politicians just kept ignoring it.. or just giving it a little lip service. Treaties were signed but not enforced. Kinda like our vaccine card mandate.

Can't blame them. Not really. But the problem needed to be dealt with eventually. I could only wonder the ways it would happen.

By the way. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. You believe what you want, I believe what I want. Doesn't change a damn thing either way.

I was more responding to someone else and a video they posted. I really like that video and spoke to me on several levels or several thought processes.

Humans are especially capable to see and seek patterns. We seek novelty because it gives us an evolutionary advantage. We seek new patterns so we can make predictions. The more we can predict, the more we can control.

I see patterns that suggest a certain narrative and I have yet to see evidence that counteracts it. Wait, collect evidence, analyze information, collect more...

I'm not getting my information from clouds.
Fair enough. I didn’t watch that video. I don’t believe in things until they are disproved… I need evidence in favor of something before I believe it. It’s very easy to see patterns in everything.

And my question (not that I think it’s really answerable) is why did it take so long to develop this plandemicif it was to counteract climate change? And why are we emitting more, not less, during this year of restrictions, if the goal of the ‘plandemic’ is to reduce environmental impact, as my link showed?

It seems to me that worldwide disruptions would cause governments everywhere to throw out what little environmental protections they do have, in order to desperately claw back economic losses. And that the inevitable conflicts due to scarcity and supply chain disruption will degrade our ability to operate efficiently. So I could just as easily argue that the ‘plandemic’ was designed by a secret cabal of coal magnates in order to spur a period of laissez faire capitalism.

Or you could use Ockham’s razor and remember that we’ve had world wide pandemics repeatedly over human history, at times when there was almost zero knowledge at what was happening elsewhere in the world, and there’s no reasoning behind it, it’s just a biological disaster event, and we’re having one today. I mean, the last one was just over a hundred years ago… that’s not even that long ago. On a historical scale, it’s more periodic than rare. And governments across the world have responded very differently, so the ‘plandemic’ is having completely different effects everywhere. Where an American may blame a secret cabal of One World agents, a South Asian may blame the West (and some do, claiming this was manufactured to make them dependent in Western pharma…)

Basically, whatever fears you already had, insert into your own particular theory. There’s NO WAY to EVER dispute a conspiracy theory. All evidence that points out the lack of conspiracy is just further evidence that the conspiracy is deeper than perceived.

Old 10-26-2021, 08:42 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,676,690 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I didn’t watch that video. I don’t believe in things until they are disproved… I need evidence in favor of something before I believe it. It’s very easy to see patterns in everything.

And my question (not that I think it’s really answerable) is why did it take so long to develop this plandemicif it was to counteract climate change? And why are we emitting more, not less, during this year of restrictions, if the goal of the ‘plandemic’ is to reduce environmental impact, as my link showed?

It seems to me that worldwide disruptions would cause governments everywhere to throw out what little environmental protections they do have, in order to desperately claw back economic losses. And that the inevitable conflicts due to scarcity and supply chain disruption will degrade our ability to operate efficiently. So I could just as easily argue that the ‘plandemic’ was designed by a secret cabal of coal magnates in order to spur a period of laissez faire capitalism.

Or you could use Ockham’s razor and remember that we’ve had world wide pandemics repeatedly over human history, at times when there was almost zero knowledge at what was happening elsewhere in the world, and there’s no reasoning behind it, it’s just a biological disaster event, and we’re having one today. I mean, the last one was just over a hundred years ago… that’s not even that long ago. On a historical scale, it’s more periodic than rare. And governments across the world have responded very differently, so the ‘plandemic’ is having completely different effects everywhere. Where an American may blame a secret cabal of One World agents, a South Asian may blame the West (and some do, claiming this was manufactured to make them dependent in Western pharma…)

Basically, whatever fears you already had, insert into your own particular theory. There’s NO WAY to EVER dispute a conspiracy theory. All evidence that points out the lack of conspiracy is just further evidence that the conspiracy is deeper than perceived.
Those are good questions. And you're right, a lot of them aren't knowable. I can only base my opinion on what I can observe and I also have to shift through information and figure out what is actually truthful... something that I wish wasn't so difficult...

My observation is that people and product are moving less. I'm talking about the people in my life and the products I use or could want to use (like the shortages I see in Target or stores at the mall). Less movement of people and product would mean less energy expenditure. At scale this would have an impact on emissions. I do know lots of people that are traveling less and traveling closer to home. I do know lots of people that struggle to find products that they want (or when they want them). I do not know how scaled this observation actually is. But it's been in the media. Both fronts.

Are economies around the world ramping up production? Who are they going to sell to? It's usually us, but if you bottleneck transportation and throw tariffs on top then I don't see the incentive. At least for China. I've not heard great things about what happening in China. That's a big player in world economics and apparently they can't even keep on the lights for residential use...

We have been through pandemics before, but not since globalization. Everything about this is different and not comparable. The pathogen isn't nearly as deadly compared to other pandemic diseases we've had and yet we've gone full draconian at times. I know you don't believe that, but many do. It's subjective so don't even start arguing about it. No point.

And really, you didn't watch the video so it's even more pointless talking to you about my thoughts and reactions towards it. So whatever. Like I said, I'm not trying to convince you of anything and I'm certainly not going to be convinced by anything YOU say. Like, that should have been obvious MONTHS ago. I really don't like you. Save your breath. You're wasting it.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:28 AM

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that you don’t ‘like’ me (though I try not to make things personal). You mention things that you believe are true and I show you evidence that they are likely not true.
And when it comes to people using the circular logic that anti-Covid measures don’t work (while cherry picking data, or not using the measures or ignoring the fact that people are consistently circumventing them) I simply repeat the data that they do work. I don’t think I’m convincing you (or other posters) nor am I trying to.
But there are other people who read these forums and they deserve more than a dialogue of conspiracy theories and fear. So I repeat the calm, consistent message that we do better by actually following the science and acting to slow the disease, allowing time for more and more medical solutions to come on board and be implemented, and protecting those who need it the most. Doesn’t mean living like a hermit, but pretending something doesn’t exist isn’t a strategy.
You don’t need to respond to me if you don’t like. As I said, it’s not personal, just my line or reasoning. If there’s anything I said that was personally unreasonable or unkind, I apologize. I know you are doing what you think is best for yourself and those around you.

Last edited by Arcos; 10-26-2021 at 10:42 AM..

Old 10-26-2021, 11:02 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,138,993 times
Quote:
I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that you don’t ‘like’ me (though I try not to make things personal). You mention things that you believe are true and I show you evidence that they are likely not true.
And when it comes to people using the circular logic that anti-Covid measures don’t work (while cherry picking data, or not using the measures or ignoring the fact that people are consistently circumventing them) I simply repeat the data that they do work. I don’t think I’m convincing you (or other posters) nor am I trying to.
But there are other people who read these forums and they deserve more than a dialogue of conspiracy theories and fear. So I repeat the calm, consistent message that we do better by actually following the science and acting to slow the disease, allowing time for more and more medical solutions to come on board and be implemented, and protecting those who need it the most. Doesn’t mean living like a hermit, but pretending something doesn’t exist isn’t a strategy.
You don’t need to respond to me if you don’t like. As I said, it’s not personal, just my line or reasoning. If there’s anything I said that was personally unreasonable or unkind, I apologize. I know you are doing what you think is best for yourself and those around you.
You are getting ridiculous. You never answered my question - who on this thread pretends covid does not exist?

Old 10-26-2021, 12:04 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,085,920 times
Just about anybody can say they follow the science.
At times science can take you down several paths.
Nuggets of info are often misused to further an agenda.

When I see blatant deceptions and lies for political gain I don’t like the people that are spewing it.
I consider omissions to be lies as well

The fact that we are seeing “rules for thee and not for me” makes me want to puke.
So does virtue signaling like, the VP kissing her husband while both are masked up for a photo op, or the quick donning of a mask for “the photo” we have seen countless times.
These people are not being honest and they are not being called out for it.

The circle of people I like and associate with are open minded and are both liberal and conservative.
I like them because they are open minded and realized not all is “black or white”.
I like them because they’re honest.

The people I don’t care for are close minded people that bang the drum of their political party which ever that might be.
These people tend to have honesty problems.

Once again,
We all know that the virus is real.
We are just not willing to follow bad leadership that mandates that we have restrictions for the next 3-4 years.

Some mislead cheerleaders won’t quit until we are at 101% safe.
Some just want to break the country .

Old 10-26-2021, 12:38 PM

To answer both your questions briefly, there are plenty on this forum (if not recently on this thread) that have claimed we should never have had any anti-Covid measures. Without in anyway making this personal, believing there is a deeply secret ‘plan’ behind what has happened, is a literal belief in a conspiracy theory. Might not be WRONG, but is certainly leading to the question of who, when, how was all this planned, etc., how can that ever be disproven, etc.
As to your next post, I agree with it wholeheartedly, except the part about the restrictions. Covid will dictate those, to a large extent. As the numbers drop, the restrictions have and will, as seen over the last two years. As the numbers rise, so do the restrictions. I’m willing to follow good leadership that manages the crisis to the best of our abilities, as opposed to pretending it doesn’t exist and letting the hospitals go to crisis standards of care. I’ve seen, personally, what happens in countries where that measure is universally adopted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area