Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 06:59 PM

15,894 posts, read 6,595,552 times

Advertisements

Many people seem to want to move to a warmer locale for their retirement. But that being said, this is still a beautiful part of the country, and we have some very nice retirement communities. I'm happy to be spending my retirement here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 12:31 AM

8,075 posts, read 8,393,713 times
The U District, Roosevelt, and Northgate light-rail stations opened this year - Ravenna is close to the Roosevelt Station. The Bellevue-Redmond extension will open in 2023, and the Lynnwood extension in 2024. That can give you a lot of latitude for where you can look.

Places that would be great to visit with grandchildren: Burke Natural History Museum (U-District Station), Arboretum (UW Station), Green Lake (Roosevelt Station), Woodland Park Zoo (#44 trolleybus), Seattle Aquarium (Downtown/Waterfront, Pacific Science Center (Downtown), Alki Beach (West Seattle Water Taxi).

Old 01-04-2022, 02:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,773 posts, read 58,219,184 times
Consider Silver Glen senior housing Co-op (Bellevue).
https://silverglen.org/

Seems quite reasonable for the area.
Co-op housing is not for everyone, but I am looking forward to finding or creating one for our late 70s +. (I prefer a rural cottage village, but left coast property is too expensive to allow that option)

USDA study indicated seniors live 'independently" 10 yrs longer in a cooperative living situation, than on their own. Works well in Scandinavia.

Senior Cooperative Foundation – Senior Cooperative Foundation
https://seniorhousingnews.com/2019/0...-market-share/

Knoxville area has some potential and nice senior housing (but no co-ops, yet)
I spent a bunch of time in Harriman and Oak Ridge looking and planning. But... I don't do heat or traffic. Have never had AC in house or car.

Good luck on your choices.
Bring plenty of indoor activities.
Sunrise ~8am, yet quite dark by 4pm. No stars, no moon (most nights from October- March.). August and first half of Sept are ok.

Old 01-05-2022, 06:04 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,686,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
And I replied. BTW it's Gardyloo - [url]https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gardyloo[/url] . It's an old Scottish warning to look out for falling... yuck.
I learned ALLL about it, in detail, on this tour in 2018.

[url]https://www.realmarykingsclose.com/[/url]

Old 01-05-2022, 11:08 PM

13,101 posts, read 7,565,597 times
71/74yo current. Moved to Redmond-flats 3 years ago from rural mid Willamette Valley, OR. Similar weather.
We have a condo flat. Walk score ~87. No hills where we live and we can get practically everything we need within 1000 yards. I will try to make a daily 1-2 mile walk around the area, doing snackfood shopping or something else. If I want to go further I hop a bus-LINK on $1 senior fare, to where-ever. Today went to 2 bookstores for a book then to a kroger and TraderJoe. Black-Friday, bought a pedal assisted, step-through ebike, and will start using it when it gets warmer and drier.
Wife takes care of expenses and she says that our condo living costs is comparable in us owning a SFH, but with out the work of a SFH.
We walk to family practice doctor, ER clinic, and bus to other specialty doctors services. Many hospital networks to chose from.
Lots of restaurants, ethnic foods and ethnic grocers. Lots of bakeries - coffee shoppes. Library, Senior center, bookstores, pubs and taprooms. All walking distance.
Many little parks. We really never locked down in early 2020, we just went to parks to get some air and exercise.
Masking is very high here in Redmond, I really don't know about University/Ravena areas.
Our son used to live above International district-Seattle. It took ~1.25-1.75 hours, 2 buses, and a few blocks of walking. $1 apiece. Driving it would take ~40 minutes, From Redmond to Seattle.
We do have a car, ~60mi/mn use. Son recently moved to Redmond (1.25miles) and now he just picks us up. We see him more frequently. He and GF tries to take us on a 3-7 day excursions, we pay for the Airbnb/VBO. They do their thing and we do ours.
Apartments in Redmond (2+2, 850-1050 ft) ~$2400(15-25yo)-$3300(new build). Condos ~$425k-$650k plus HOA.
Lots of pro-sports. Lots of little theaters and of course major theater in Seattle.

Making friends-you gotta say, 'hello'
Lots to do here.
We are very pleased in the move.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:46 PM

13,101 posts, read 7,565,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Consider Silver Glen senior housing Co-op (Bellevue).
https://silverglen.org/

Seems quite reasonable for the area.
Co-op housing is not for everyone, but I am looking forward to finding or creating one for our late 70s +. (I prefer a rural cottage village, but left coast property is too expensive to allow that option)

USDA study indicated seniors live 'independently" 10 yrs longer in a cooperative living situation, than on their own. Works well in Scandinavia.

...snip
Good luck on your choices.
Bring plenty of indoor activities.
Sunrise ~8am, yet quite dark by 4pm. No stars, no moon (most nights from October- March.). August and first half of Sept are ok.
I know where is 'silverglen' but never been there.
It is blocks to where we do specialty food shopping at Asian Food Market-meats, fish, and fresh vegetables are cheaper here by a considerable amount vs FredMeyer/Kroger, Safeway-Albertsons. FredMeyer superstore is across the street from Asian Foods and you can find just about everything you need there. Safeway is couple more blocks away. Foods are cheaper than Safeway, Wholefoods. JMO.
A regional mall/shopping center is also at this corner. Other shopping districts are within 2 miles.
A county blueberry field is located down the hill and a good size park.
Silverglen is about 3.0-3.5 miles from dwntwn Bellevue (google maps), Overlake Hospital/Kaiser Clinics, Bridle trails park, Bellevue Botannical Garden (its very good), Art museum, Bellevue Mall (pretty good size, upscale) with Bellevue Art Faire in mid july.
Tesla, Jaguar, Alfa-Ramaro, etc auto dealerships are even closer.
Microsoft HQ is a mile north on 148th.
Facebook, Google, Amazon, etal satellite outposts will be in close.
not sure of the KingCo bus # to get you to Bellevue transit center, but from the Bellevue TC, you can catch a fast bus to UW transit center, every 15/30 minutes and you will be at UW Medical/stadium/Link station in 20 minutes. WA520 across Lake Washington is tolled, time-of-day pricing. Public transit is not tolled.

Silverglen's 3-2 available units are very reasonable at $500k.
our condo in Redmond lowlands (flats) is ~$600k for 1000sf + $575 hoa.
You won't have to worry about flooding since this place is near the top of this hill. Lake Washington is essentially sealevel.

sunsetting now closer to 5pm rather than 4pm

GL

Old 01-08-2022, 03:13 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,788,872 times
Quote:
I know where is 'silverglen' but never been there.
It's also right across the street from the gem of a neighborhood butcher shop that is The Golden Steer, and not that much further to Trader Joe's.

Right around the Corner and down the street (easy walk) is Crossroads shopping center - which is literally a community Crossroads. It's got an international food court like no other mall, a community stage where local talent plays regularly, a huge chessboard set in the floor where people play, and many tables where you will find a board game or cards. There are also numerous restaurants that are an easy walk on a pleasant evening.

Half a block and around the corner is the Rapid Ride B which goes to either DT Bellevue TC or DT Redmond. There's also the 245 which goes to either Kirkland or Eastgate. It will be 4-5 blocks(ish) to the Overlake Light Rail station when that opens.

That whole area is really diverse and fun.

Old 07-23-2022, 03:53 PM

136 posts, read 462,894 times
I know it’s been a while since I started this thread and I appreciate all the help!

My wife went into assisted living in April. Our number came up at our preferred CCRC in Maryville. I will be closing the sale of our home of 18 years this Friday and be moving into a 2br independent living apartment at the at the same community (Shannondale of Maryville). I still have deposits at Ida Culver and one other in the same family in Seattle which I will keep for now. You never know what might happen over the next few years, so I will keep my options open.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and ideas with me!

Exrvi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area