Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:58 PM

355 posts, read 990,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Maybe its wrong to live in a place where you have to have a box that consumes large amounts of electricity just to make the air colder.
or warmer.....which ever you prefer......it's always something. But I seriously don't want to sit in front of a light box to make me happy......I prefer the natural light orb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:21 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times
Who doesn't prefer the real thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
But I seriously don't want to sit in front of a light box to make me happy......I prefer the natural light orb.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 PM

355 posts, read 990,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Who doesn't prefer the real thing?
But that's the problem.....you can't get enough of the real thing out here.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:56 AM

576 posts, read 1,818,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
But that's the problem.....you can't get enough of the real thing out here.
So true. Apparently this is one of the few places where we use the term "sunbreak". I've never lived anywhere else, but apparently the term is popular only here. We're so desperate for sun that we have to settle for "sunbreaks", like junkies having to settle for any small fix they can get. They only last about 3 minutes and then is goes back to being cloudy. At least in other places, they can just admit that it's cloudy and hope tomorrow will be better. Not so here. Those "sunbreaks" could be the last sunshine you see for the next month.

The only thing that gets me through is that I have less than a year until I am done with college and move somewhere that doesn't suck.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:47 PM

109 posts, read 154,011 times
Alright Jenbar and SeattleNextYear. Stop arguing.

The bottom line is, Seattle is a beautiful place to live. There are a lot of things going on here that is heaven. However, the one downside is lack of sun. If Seattle has a much sun as most cities in the US, everyone would be flocking here.

I love Seattle for the clean air, the trees, the mild weather, and the diversed population. However, I am stuck with not getting enough sun light. Thus, my wife had to buy me the light to keep me from being grumpy and depress.

That is it. There are gives and takes. Can't have everything.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:38 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Public areas in Seattle are air conditioned much more than 2 weeks.

I would rather put on some sunscreen, vs take supplements, anti-depressants and sit in front of a light box... but hey, if that's your thing, go for it.

To try and argue this point with someone who doesn't even live there, and never has to even experience what years of Seattle winters can do to you - is petty and pointless.
As was stated previously, many people have no problem at all. I am going to put full spectrum bulbs in my entire apartment, but that is also for my plants and I have an indoor cat and how can an animal tell you that it requires more light? I just think cats spend so much time in the sunlight in windows, that perhaps it is for more than the warmth.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:47 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbao View Post
Alright Jenbar and SeattleNextYear. Stop arguing.

The bottom line is, Seattle is a beautiful place to live. There are a lot of things going on here that is heaven. However, the one downside is lack of sun. If Seattle has a much sun as most cities in the US, everyone would be flocking here.

I love Seattle for the clean air, the trees, the mild weather, and the diverse population. However, I am stuck with not getting enough sun light. Thus, my wife had to buy me the light to keep me from being grumpy and depress.

That is it. There are gives and takes. Can't have everything.
I agree. No place is perfect. I cannot abide heat and humidity and find the huge snows in the north intimidating. The middle of the country has all of those tornadoes, more and more each year, it seems. Seattle's electricity comes from waterfalls, so it does not burn fossil fuel or require nuclear power. If there are water shortages, desalinization is possible, and Seattle has so much water around it. There are land breaks for tsunamis.

If it were not for a fault line running right under it, and all the properties near the shore being built on compacted aggregate and not bedrock, and the volcano, of coarse, it would be perfect.

Anyplace confronts us with trade offs.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:26 PM

109 posts, read 154,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I agree. No place is perfect. I cannot abide heat and humidity and find the huge snows in the north intimidating. The middle of the country has all of those tornadoes, more and more each year, it seems. Seattle's electricity comes from waterfalls, so it does not burn fossil fuel or require nuclear power. If there are water shortages, desalinization is possible, and Seattle has so much water around it. There are land breaks for tsunamis.

If it were not for a fault line running right under it, and all the properties near the shore being built on compacted aggregate and not bedrock, and the volcano, of coarse, it would be perfect.

Anyplace confronts us with trade offs.
The Puget Sound has a lot going for it, lots of job, mild weather and great diversed population. Some people are concern about the fault line to to be honest you all, I think that is over rated. These days, all houses build required it to be build to seismic codes. In other words, buildings are required to be built to withstand a certain size earthquate. It is not in the old days when buildings were build with bricks and mortars and they were not reinforced. Even if there is a fault line underneath us, I don't think it is a concern.

Take Japan for example, the whole country is an vocano and it on a fault line. Yet, there are less fatality there due to earth quake and vocanoes than other places.

I am a civil engineer and I feel so safe here that I don't even buy earth quake insurance for my house.

So in short, don't worry about the earthquate and the vocano. What I don't like is the rain and the clouds.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:06 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
When "The Big One" that everyone is talking about comes, earthquake insurance and building codes won't matter. It's not a question of "if", it's a question of "when" - this is proven.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:09 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
Moved to WA in late July from TX so primo candidate for SAD as I love the sun and heat. I bought the above mentioned GoLite in early March off the Costco website as they told me at the store it was "out of season". And I said "Have you looked outside today?". I did it 15 minutes a day up until the beginning of May and it helped so much I could not believe it! Wish I had started it in December! I went from sleeping 10-12 hours a day and not being able to get out of bed to sleeping 8-9 hours and not needing to nap at 4pm each day. I also did Vit D supps. My husband even made the comment that he noticed I seemed better. I just do it in the morning while checking email for 15 minutes. Worth a try for you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area