Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2022, 07:27 AM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times

Advertisements

Artlcle link here: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...st-dies-at-97/

“Harriet Stimson Bullitt, a renowned Northwest philanthropist, conservationist and founder of the Sleeping Lady Mountain Resort near Leavenworth, and the scion of a prominent family whose legacy includes the creation of King Broadcasting and a foundation that has poured more than $200 million into environmental causes, has died. She was 97.

Denis Hayes, the executive director of the Bullitt Foundation, said Bullitt died early Saturday at her home at the Sleeping Lady resort. She is survived by two children, Wenda O’Reilly and Scott Brewster, and her husband, Alex Voronin.

Coming from a family that made its early fortune in logging and real estate, Bullitt was, in Hayes’ words, “an environmental hero” who later would use that money to protect the Northwest’s old-growth forests, rivers and to champion green urban growth.

“She was calm, reasonable, winsome and logical,” said Hayes, a noted environmentalist and co-founder of Earth Day. “She was never a bull in a china shop. But she knew that these forests needed protecting and she was perfectly comfortable in funding organizations that brought lawsuits to save them. She knew that you either save them, or lose them.”

“She was deeply committed and involved in creating a safe way to dispose of the nuclear waste at Hanford, and in promoting peace,” he said. “She was very vigorous, and lived a life full of firsts.”

According to her family and news accounts, Bullitt had an indomitable personality, and was a savvy businesswoman, trained zoologist, competitive fencer and a flamenco dancer. Along with her siblings Patsy and Stimson — both of whom preceded her in death — she used a family fortune to leave an indelible mark on the Northwest. Her mother in 1947 founded King Broadcasting, which Harriet would later sell to fund the family foundation.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 09:39 AM

15,850 posts, read 6,554,586 times
It sounds like she led a long, meaningful life. To paraphrase a Greek proverb:

“A society grows great when old [citizens] plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.”

Old 04-25-2022, 04:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times
I like to walk by the old Stimson mansion on the corner of Minor & Seneca in First Hill. The family has left a huge mark on this region!

Old 04-26-2022, 03:11 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I like to walk by the old Stimson mansion on the corner of Minor & Seneca in First Hill. The family has left a huge mark on this region!
Yes, be we should not speak ill of the recently departed, give it some time.

Old 04-26-2022, 11:25 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
Daughter of Dorothy Bullit who was influential in bringing tv to Seattle with the first tv station in the Northwest, KING TV, in 1948, but this is about Harriet. Great philanthropist and visionary.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 04-26-2022 at 11:34 PM..

Old 04-28-2022, 07:47 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Daughter of Dorothy Bullit who was influential in bringing tv to Seattle with the first tv station in the Northwest, KING TV, in 1948, but this is about Harriet. Great philanthropist and visionary.

Maybe...but her husband is Orthodox and lets give 30 days before we start on Harriet. That is all I meant by my comment.

Lots of folks in Leavenworth and the Wenatchee Valley are not fans of her and I got tired of dissing the recently dead.

Orthodox tradition, in respect for her husband, lets give it 30 days.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:23 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Maybe...but her husband is Orthodox and lets give 30 days before we start on Harriet. That is all I meant by my comment.

Lots of folks in Leavenworth and the Wenatchee Valley are not fans of her and I got tired of dissing the recently dead.

Orthodox tradition, in respect for her husband, lets give it 30 days.
509, I looked back through the comments here and don’t see any negative words. The person who said that the family left a “large mark” I think meant that in a philanthropic way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area