Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 10:35 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Great point about the refinancing, thanks for reminding me of that option. And yeah, I'm just hoping to even get a bedroom. Which is crazy, since I'm making way more money now than when I bought a freakin' 3 bedroom house (...in Metro Atlanta, in 2009...) But yeah.

I know it's location, location. But I don't really want to live in suburbia, or commute to it. (Especially since if I move further out then I'd need to buy a car, which would negate some of the savings.)

Ideally I'd rather find something on the Queen Anne side, just I think I just kinda like it a bit better over there, but I guess I could go with a slightly quieter part of Cap Hill. I know I don't want to be near Broadway, which is a street I am not enjoying.
Jump east on Cap Hill, one of those older cool buildings east of 15th and north of Madison. Good vibe area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 10:42 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Jump east on Cap Hill, one of those older cool buildings east of 15th and north of Madison. Good vibe area.
I'm just now realizing that Capitol Hill goes all the way to 23rd Ave. Neighborhood's huge.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I'm just now realizing that Capitol Hill goes all the way to 23rd Ave. Neighborhood's huge.
Yeah, 15th to 23rd, north of Madison, good target area. Buffer yourself from Madison by a couple blocks.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:08 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Is West Seattle any cheaper than the main part of the city?
Yes, it is. You should look there, it's a nice community. And you'd have the option of commuting to downtown by people ferry. The north end of W Seattle has nice commercial areas of coffee shops, good eateries, a PCC Co-op, among other amenities, and there's Alki Beach. The residential areas have views of the bay or the Sound. At the very least, you'll enjoy exploring the area and the listings.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I was going to suggest that, too. But I'm thinking West Seattle might appeal to you more. At least check it out, spend some time walking around Alki and checking out the vibe in the coffee shops etc. near the beach as well as looking at condos. See how if feels to you.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, it is. You should look there, it's a nice community. And you'd have the option of commuting to downtown by people ferry. The north end of W Seattle has nice commercial areas of coffee shops, good eateries, a PCC Co-op, among other amenities, and there's Alki Beach. The residential areas have views of the bay or the Sound. At the very least, you'll enjoy exploring the area and the listings.
In general, Ruth is right with house prices, though they are creeping up as the reopening of the bridge is coming soon. Although West Seattle is a lovely area, I’m not sure it would help in your price range, there just aren’t many smaller studios, most condos are larger 1 and 2 bedrooms at higher price points. There are a few exceptions in older buildings near California, rare though.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:22 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was going to suggest that, too. But I'm thinking West Seattle might appeal to you more. At least check it out, spend some time walking around Alki and checking out the vibe in the coffee shops etc. near the beach as well as looking at condos. See how if feels to you.
Yeah, I have definitely walked around that area a few times, and I do like it a lot. Love the view, and the ferry access. I didn't think I could likely afford anything along the beach, though.

I've only done a little bit of exploring in the interior of the main part of West Seattle. And right now there doesn't seem to be a lot of available anywhere around there under $500k. But I will have to keep checking. I know the bridge is opening again soon, so that's good for the area.

I do wish that I was a millionaire, so that I could live a humble life in a small condo...

Old 06-27-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I have definitely walked around that area a few times, and I do like it a lot. Love the view, and the ferry access. I didn't think I could likely afford anything along the beach, though.

I've only done a little bit of exploring in the interior of the main part of West Seattle. And right now there doesn't seem to be a lot of available anywhere around there under $500k. But I will have to keep checking. I know the bridge is opening again soon, so that's good for the area.

I do wish that I was a millionaire, so that I could live a humble life in a small condo...
I wasn't suggesting you get something on the beach. But it's nice to have that nearby. But "homes" is saying, prices are rising, and at your price point, you'd likely be looking at studios only, so....maybe that rules out W Seattle.

I think if you wait a year to try to save more, the price inflation will outpace your savings. You could only fall farther behind. But W Seattle def. is tempting. I wonder what MIL rentals in the area go for... (like a daylight basement in someone's homes. You can find good deals)

Old 06-27-2022, 11:36 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times
My GUESS; SFH will continue to drop. Condo pricing will remain even. Apartment pricing will continue to rise.

Your desire to purchase will determine how fast you can accumulate cash. Tech stocks will be choppy and will see more sell offs mainly because the competition for talent is fierce and will reflect in the 2quarter reports of 2022.
JMO
YMMV

Old 06-27-2022, 11:43 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:

Alaska Junction/Admiral has really caught up to the rest of Seattle in terms of prices. The Delridge area down to White Center is less expensive, but I don’t know that you would like that area as much as it’s less walkable and less things to do. Bus service seems decent though. And Alki is great, but it too is a bit isolated in terms of accessing other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area