Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 08:19 AM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times

Advertisements

Article link here: https://crosscut.com/politics/2023/0...rezoning-fight

“It has been 16 years since Seattle last made changes to its industrial and maritime zoning, but it hasn’t been for lack of trying. The latest efforts to modify the rules and boundaries governing Seattle’s working waterfront and industrial zones have spanned three mayoral administrations with no legislation passed.

The delay stems from the conflicting goals of two influential interest groups.
On one side are the Port of Seattle, maritime industrial business owners, the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, Ballard fisheries, the railroads and truckers. They want better protections to keep non-industrial uses out of industrial zones.

On the other are real estate developers, non-industrial businesses, the building trades unions, the stadiums management group, affordable-housing advocates and others. They want to expand into valuable underdeveloped industrial land, especially near the water.

Doing so required a multiyear series of meetings led by an outside mediator. More than 60 stakeholders came together and eventually reached 85% agreement on a package of policies that would close loopholes to better protect industrial-zoned lands for actual industrial work while allowing more housing and other uses in the buffers between industrial and traditional commercial land, among other goals.

That package of legislation is now working its way through the Seattle City Council, with a final vote expected this summer. But getting to that final vote will depend on the outcome of an 11th-hour debate over whether to develop housing, hotels and commercial space in SoDo near the stadiums. The push to include the SoDo “Makers District” in the final package (or put it back in the package, depending on whom you ask) threatens to upend the entire delicate compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 01:12 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times
The maritime industrial group is extremely powerful here. We’ve been trying to complete multiple bike lanes and bike paths through SoDo and Ballard for DECADES… stymied by these folks. They’re typified by people like Eugene Wasserman, who seems to have time traveled from the 1960s.

Old 07-10-2023, 07:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I wonder who these people are that want to live next to the industrial areas, with the truck traffic, railroad noise, and diesel fumes.

Old 07-10-2023, 08:24 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,243,004 times
Interesting... I'm working on a similar project on the opposite coast.

The timing is somewhat of a perfect storm:
  • focus on shipping/freight transport given the issues noted during/since the pandemic
  • administration's push to address environmental justice and vulnerable communities that live port-adjacent and are subjected to the associated environmental/health hazards.

Old 07-10-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I wonder who these people are that want to live next to the industrial areas, with the truck traffic, railroad noise, and diesel fumes.
Probably no one, but we have underbuilt housing relative to demand for a decade now. We have so many people here that they're living in the streets, and commuting in from places like Enumclaw and Black Diamond and Cle Elum. Also, our residents won't allow us to build density in our single-family areas, so this housing has to go somewhere.

Old 07-10-2023, 02:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Probably no one, but we have underbuilt housing relative to demand for a decade now. We have so many people here that they're living in the streets, and commuting in from places like Enumclaw and Black Diamond and Cle Elum. Also, our residents won't allow us to build density in our single-family areas, so this housing has to go somewhere.
There is plenty of housing available, just not "affordable" housing. I just passed by the redevelopment area in Renton opposite Safeway, on Sunset, which is supposed to include affordable apartment. It looks like the framing is well underway, and it's a horribly ugly several blocks of multi-story right up against this major arterial, known for high crime. I can't imagine who would want to live there, but hopefully someone will. It is at least in an area with shops and restaurants, and convenient to 405 for commuting to places with jobs.

https://www.rentonreporter.com/news/...-neighborhood/

https://www.tiscareno.net/solera

Old 07-10-2023, 05:27 PM

Again, where else will these developments go? Single-family homeowners have been extremely loud and consistent in their demands that new residents NOT live in their neighborhoods, including in the most recent legislative session (WA state) where we tried to upzone single-family neighborhoods, but didn't get very far due to residents of places like Mercer Island and Medina. So, this is where the housing goes. I don't understand how you don't understand. lol.

Old 07-11-2023, 09:37 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
I watched San Francisco’s shipyards on 3rd Street turn into an amazing place.
There are now lots of biotech buildings, UCSF medical buildings, nice eateries, new housing and a pretty nice downtown Ballpark in what was a Barbary Coast area.
It’s a shame that we no longer have the shipyards in San Francisco but I’ll take this new development anytime.
I’m fine with having those needs filled in other areas.

I think Seattle would benefit from such a plan.

Old 07-11-2023, 10:09 PM

1,369 posts, read 715,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I watched San Francisco’s shipyards on 3rd Street turn into an amazing place.
There are now lots of biotech buildings, UCSF medical buildings, nice eateries, new housing and a pretty nice downtown Ballpark in what was a Barbary Coast area.
It’s a shame that we no longer have the shipyards in San Francisco but I’ll take this new development anytime.
I’m fine with having those needs filled in other areas.

I think Seattle would benefit from such a plan.
We’re a bit secluded from the rest of the country without the shipping though… geographically speaking. Tucked up against Canada, in the armpit of the pungent sound… where would our heavy goods come from… more train and truck traffic, when right now it comes in relatively smoothly by sea.

Portland? I doubt they have the capacity for the larger ships. Where else? Los Angeles is a long way away and also clogged.

Please note, I speak from a position of relative ignorance. If there are other options, I’m happy to learn about them.

Old 07-11-2023, 10:17 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
Wouldn’t relocating some of the shipping needs to Tacoma make a difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area