Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:51 PM

73 posts, read 248,649 times

Advertisements

Seriously, the thing might have looked high-tech in the 60's and 70's, but these days it seriously looks like crap! Not to mention it serves absolutely no transportation function at all (who the hell needs to commute from the Westlake center to the Seattle Center!?!?). The only function it serves now is being a tourist trap!

The main reason why the city of Seattle should demolish the monorail is the ideals that it stood for not alive and well in the city. The monorail and the space needle were both created for the 62 Worlds Fair, and part of what the Worlds Fairs were all about was showcasing new innovations in technology. The 62 Worlds Fair was a glimmer of hope about what the new century would bring, the monorail itself a small-scale model of an innovative elevated transit system that would continue to push what was started by the subway and elevated train system of cities like New York and Chicago.

Fast-forward 46 years later... The city of Seattle still doesn't have a working mass transit system, only a fleet of buses that don't run on time and do nothing to alleviate the growth in traffic that continues to swell worse and worse every day. Smaller cities with much less capitol like Portland, Oregon put Seattle to shame with it's far-superior public transit options. Gas prices rise, traffic worsens and finally in 2010 (or whenever) Seattle gets one small light rail system with only a few lines! Truly pathetic, especially for a city that prides itself so much on innovation.

The dream is dead Seattle, it's time to demolish the monorail!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 08:30 PM

33 posts, read 89,273 times
If you want to change things, vote-- get involved. There was a chance that we could have had 50 extra miles of light rail, but voters squashed that.

On the books is an extra 20-something miles of light rail, which is pretty good-- that needs a vote. We also have several really great streetcar lines in the planning stages, those won't need a vote.

Get involved. If you don't like the monorail, say something to people who can do something about it. What you do, however, is create a problem, so be prepared to answer the question "And then what?"

Old 06-01-2008, 08:50 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Hrmm...I wonder what one final use for it could be....

Old 06-01-2008, 10:33 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
The monorail may be just one more thing for Destructoman to destroy.
I never ride the thing, and yeah, it's kind of useless, but it harkens back to a nicer, more innocent time in Seattle before everything had to be "sustainable" and where many townhomes with no lots replaced beautiful old houses that had nice lots.
If you need to destroy something, Destructoman, go ahead and destroy a bunch of townhomes, and add the EMP and the new library while you're at it.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:44 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
OMG YOU HATE THE EMP AND THE NEW LIBRARY TOO?? I thought I was the only one!! Thank you!! :-)

Old 06-01-2008, 10:56 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
No, Thank you! I just thought I was a clueless old unhip fuddydud who just didn't get it, and that may all be true, but the EMP? Looks like something that fell out of the sky and crash landed. And the library? I've been there. It's not very user friendly at all, at least not to this user, and those colors? Did they hire a colorblind architect?

Old 06-01-2008, 10:59 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Take the EMP, take the new library, take Safeco Field, take Quest Field...take them both, just leave the monorail alone!

Old 06-01-2008, 11:09 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Take the EMP, take the new library, take Safeco Field, take Quest Field...take them both, just leave the monorail alone!
HEAR! HEAR! Three cheers!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:09 AM

29 posts, read 129,904 times
There's a great song about it.

...And it's so antique
That it's neo-chic
Like a lightning streeeeeeak...
It's the Monorail! Train to Nowhere
!

My trio sings it

Old 06-02-2008, 12:29 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
I love the monorail. The problem I have with it is that it travels from Westlake to the horrible Seattle Center. The Funhouse, the old out of date rides, its all tacky. I think it would be nice to make SC one big park in the middle of the city. Not as large as Golden Gate Park or Central Park but I think it would be a great idea to have a beautiful green park in the heart of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area