Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 6,487 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be relocating to Washington and I was wondering if anyone who lives there could give us a little advice. We are a young couple (early 30's) with a baby and a small dog. My husband will be working in Bellevue for MS so we will need an easy commute in. We have a housing budget of no more than $380,000 and want a house, not a condo or townhouse.

I am looking for an area that has good schools, a strong community, things for a stay at home mom and baby to do, housing in our budget, and a close commute to Bellevue.

I know it is a lot to ask for and I don't know if my ideal place is out there, but it doesn't hurt to look.

I was looking at Maple Valley or Renton. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
There are houses in the Eastside that are under 380K... but you have to come in with realistic expectations. You will more than likely be getting a fixer, an older house, an dated style house.

Kirkland, Bothell, Woodinville, Carnation, Sammamish, Issaquah and even Bellevue will have those houses. It'll be in one of those older suburbs. It'll also be much closer to your husband's work.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:02 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Maple Valley has great schools, but it's a bit of a further commute. It does offer a lot of house for the money.
Renton is famous for bad schools, but if you bought a home where the elementary school is Hazelwood and the middle school is McKnight, those are considered much better than average Renton schools, and closer to Bellevue.
Newcastle is another place you might want to consider. Some of it is in the Issaquah school district, and some in the Renton district, but those homes in the Renton district normally are in that Hazelwood/McKnight/Hazen High school group. Newcastle has great hiking trails and is altogether a pleasant place.
If you're willing to consider a home that's a bit older ( 70's-80's) you can find a home in your price range in parts of Bellevue and parts of Kirkland, both nice places with good schools.
In Renton and Maple Valley you're more likely to find a newer home in your price range, but not all older homes are run down or need work. Some have been nicely renovated. And shorter commutes are great things. I live in Renton and go to Bellevue frequently. When it's not rush hour, I can get to downtown Bellevue in 15 minutes, but if it's rush hour, all bets are off. 405 is unpredictable and frequently unpleasant, but there are alternative routes that are slower, but move.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,403 times
I did the Renton-Bellevue commute for a couple of years, and it can be pretty rough indeed during rush hour. Not sure if the recent I-405 widenings have helped any?

I've seen houses for sale in relatively new developments (maybe 5 or 6 years old) in your price range in the Renton Highlands, a little more if in the Issaquah school district. I think I even saw some new ones for a little over $300k (Jericho Estates is the name, I believe - but I don't know anything about them).

From the Renton Highlands, the Coal Creek Parkway would be one of the I-405 alternatives.

Last edited by MaikeerinWA; 08-02-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 08-02-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
I did the Renton-Bellevue commute for a couple of years, and it can be pretty rough indeed during rush hour. Not sure if the recent I-405 widenings have helped any?

I've seen houses for sale in relatively new developments (maybe 5 or 6 years old) in your price range in the Renton Highlands, a little more if in the Issaquah school district. I think I even saw some new ones for a little over $300k (Jericho Estates is the name, I believe - but I don't know anything about them).

From the Renton Highlands, the Coal Creek Parkway would be one of the I-405 alternatives.
405 is still a nightmare in the AM commute hours going from Renton to Bellevue. But they've widened Coal Creek Parkway, and it's a dream. I also take Lake Washington Boulevard to the Factoria area, and that's a pleasant and pretty ride.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 PM

43 posts, read 278,189 times
Maple Valley and Renton are awful. And a bad commute in rush hour!
I agree with Inkpoe. Eastside area is the best way to go in my opinion (from a young female point of view). Very family friendly and safe!!! I walk the east side regularly by myself, but would never think of walking some of the south cities by myself.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 PM

Maple Valley has a crime rate that's very low, comparable to Bellevue.
Most of these places have better and less good area. even Bellevue and Kirkland have areas that are considered less desirable, places that are not pedestrian friendly. I will say that a number of schools within the Renton school district are not very good. And that Renton has a few areas that are less safe. But there are also a lot of places in Renton that are "family friendly", safe, and pleasant places.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 PM

34 posts, read 78,380 times
Maple Valley is a lovely town, however traffic to, from, and through it really stinks. If he is working for ms, they have the Connector bus. (I guess it depends on his job classification whether or not he's eligible to ride it) and don't discount Metro. They have quite a few buses to the ms campus. Plus he can get a bus pass through work. So what I'm getting at is if he's able to ride the bus, it might open your options some. That being said, I've heard Bellevue school dist. is pretty good.
Commute wise, 405 stinks, day or night, south or north bound. Living to the west and commuting east on 520 stinks. It's something we have to live with or work around. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:47 AM

404 posts, read 1,031,019 times
It would be hard to find a house for $380,000 in Bellevue that's not 50+ years old and bigger than 1700-1800 sq. ft.

Renton might be your best bet. It's pretty close to Bellevue and has some nice neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area