Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,342 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hello all[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I just got a job offer in Silverdale and my husband is most likely to find employment in Renton with Boeing. We have to live somewhere in the middle so the commute won’t kill us. I was thinking of Gig Harbor, I heard it has good schools. My son is 5 years old. Any thought or recommendations???? We are moving from Florida. [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 02:39 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,339 times
Hum. I won't be much help to you, but I would feel sorry for you if that's how the job situation is. I don't know what your occupation is, but there's nothing in the Seattle and surrounding area? I know times are kind of tough now, so maybe a job in Silverdale is better than nothing. I just hope you get more offers. I suppose your best bet is to live in Tacoma and both of you can have a 1 hour or so commute. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 PM

38 posts, read 168,413 times
Ugh, that's a tough one. You said your husband will most likely find a job in Renton w/ Boeing... if he's still looking and he happens to be an Engineer, have him check out Intel (DuPont, WA). Then at least if you lived in Gig Harbor, the commute wouldn't be as bad for him. But in this economy, you gotta' do what you gotta' do, I know...

Old 02-04-2009, 08:01 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,597 times
Sorry, Silverdale and Renton are not within commuting difference from each other.

The other problem is your husband will probably move around a bunch at Boeing, depending on his occupation. I work at Boeing and I have worked in Everett, Seattle, and Renton.

Do you know what the easiest way of getting moved up the Everett plant at Boeing? Move to Auburn. What's the easiest way of getting moved to Boeing-Auburn? Move to Everett!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:55 AM

57 posts, read 244,910 times
Your best bet might be to live in Bremerton or on Bainbridge Island and have your husband take the ferry for his commute. You'll get a "better" home for your $ in Kitsap Co. and the ferry ride isn't too bad (IIRC 45-50 minutes from Bremerton and 30-35 minutes from Bainbridge Island to Seattle). The other ferry option would be to live in Port Orchard/Manchester/Southworth and take the Southworth ferry, which lands south of Seattle (and closer to Renton).

Old 02-12-2009, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 7,342 times
Default Thanks

Thank you all so much for your help. It is hard to picture where to live when you have never been there before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area