Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:59 PM

13 posts, read 91,674 times

Advertisements

Hey

I got a job in Auburn, WA. I am single 31, and would like to live in an urban area in either a condo or townhome. Should I live in downtown Seattle or in downtown bellevue? I have a price cap of 500,000.

How long will the commute be?

I have spent some time reading through this forum. Amazingly informative!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times
VEER lofts

Old 02-05-2009, 10:26 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,755,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivac20 View Post
Hey

I got a job in Auburn, WA. I am single 31, and would like to live in an urban area in either a condo or townhome. Should I live in downtown Seattle or in downtown bellevue? I have a price cap of 500,000.

How long will the commute be?

I have spent some time reading through this forum. Amazingly informative!
How about Auburn? (And the house next door to me is for sale at $1.3 million, so please don't tell me its too dumpy here for your tastes.)

You could live in downtown Seattle or downtown Bellevue but you would spend a ton of time commuting.

Or you could live in Auburn and commute to the city when you felt like it but save yourself a very challenging commute. You'd also get a much better parking situation and life would be generally easier.

If your heart is really set on living in Bellevue or Seattle, I'd suggest getting a job there rather than Auburn.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
CityGirl, those are in South Lake Union. Do you know how far away SLU is from the City of Auburn???

That'd be one nasty commute!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 PM

Really, How bad is the commute? I'm ok with 30-35 minute commute. I've lived in New York, so I'm used to it.

I can't find a job in Seattle.

I start work at 7 am, so I thing I'll miss most of the traffic.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:52 AM

1 posts, read 6,697 times
Between DT Seattle and DT Bellevue I would def. go with Seattle. Its a reverse traffic commute so it'd be 40-60 min each way. Add 30 min each way to Bellevue for traffic. After living in both for a year I only miss living in the Belltown neighborhood.

But I would probably start looking in Auburn area.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivac20 View Post
Really, How bad is the commute? I'm ok with 30-35 minute commute. I've lived in New York, so I'm used to it.

I can't find a job in Seattle.

I start work at 7 am, so I thing I'll miss most of the traffic.
Traffic is bad in Seattle, although a reverse commute is not as bad. Still, you'll run into traffic jams on the way home regardless of whether you go SR-18 to I-5 or SR-167 to SR-405 to I-5. And downtown is often backed up in the evening both directions because it necks down to 2 lanes in downtown.

Honestly, I can't imagine living in DT Seattle. Parking is a mess, there's homeless people everywhere, there is crime, I just think it'd be an awful place to live. And since nearly all of the jobs are in Seattle I'm surprised you can't find one.

What will you be doing in Auburn?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:16 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
CityGirl, those are in South Lake Union. Do you know how far away SLU is from the City of Auburn???

That'd be one nasty commute!
It would be a reverse commute! Not as much traffic, I live near Greenlake and when I visit my friend in Auburn - it takes less then 45 minutes

But I drive like a Californian

Old 02-06-2009, 06:26 PM

And I drive like a New Yorker!

I plan to live in belltown. I work 7am - 7pm, so I think I miss out on the bulk of the traffic. I will be working 14- 15 days a month: so if the commute comes under 30-35 min, I wouldn't be bothered.

If there are any nice urban areas in between Seattle and Auburn, I would like to look there also.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Traffic is bad in Seattle, although a reverse commute is not as bad. Still, you'll run into traffic jams on the way home regardless of whether you go SR-18 to I-5 or SR-167 to SR-405 to I-5. And downtown is often backed up in the evening both directions because it necks down to 2 lanes in downtown.

Honestly, I can't imagine living in DT Seattle. Parking is a mess, there's homeless people everywhere, there is crime, I just think it'd be an awful place to live. And since nearly all of the jobs are in Seattle I'm surprised you can't find one.

What will you be doing in Auburn?
I'm a Doctor. Positions in Seattle are usually filled by UW grads.
Thanks for the advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area