Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:52 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times

Advertisements

People are able to afford homes there simply because they may have moved in when it was more afforable, OR, they had significant equity in a previous home and used money from that sale to put towards a down payment.

Even those who bought into condos years ago (or homes further out) - could now be walking away with a couple of hundred thousand in equity.

Or, as we are seeing with the subprime market now - almost anyone who was breathing got loans...

The Issaquah school district is very good. The commute will be difficult though. 90 is better for commutes than the other freeways, but you will still need to cross the water, and go down either 5 or 405, prior to getting to 90...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 10:54 AM

I think you will have a huge shock re the quality of life, coming from Birmingham, Alabama.

Have you been out for a visit yet?

Old 04-03-2007, 11:05 AM

388 posts, read 1,785,240 times
Quote:
Thanks again! I won't bother about Renton then.
Don't remove Renton from your list.

You really need to take a trip out to the PS area and look for yourself'

Look at various areas, evaluate affordability vs salary, talk to people in the neighborhoods, test drive the commutes, go take a look at the schools.

It may cost you a few bucks upfront, but it will save you money and grief in the future.

Then, rent before you make a final decision.

The WA forum seems to be made up of two basic types;Seattlites/eastsiders and everybody else.

If you've been avidly reading the theads, you'll notice that every town that isn't Seattle/adjacent to Seattle takes a beating.

Renton isn't perfect, neither is Seattle.

Kent, Tacoma, Lynnwood, Gig Harbor, Bainbridge Island, Olympia, Issaquah, North Bend, yadda, yadda aren't perfect.

No perfect place exists, just different places that appeal to different people for many different reasons.

Just remember, most of these posts are only opinions; opinions from strangers at that.

Not to say there isn't value in those opinions, but the opinions should only be a very minor part of your research, and nothing beats personal observation.

Spend the money for an advance visit ( maybe two), you'll realize the value later.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 AM

Well, I can't disagree with magrack in this last post.

I don't know anyone with kids that would want to move south though.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:29 AM

You might want to consider that many people have some limits as to what they can afford or how long a commute they're willing to put up with, plus a gazillion other factors.

Schools are important. If the public school system sucks, it's because parents let it get that way, as more and more people move into an area, hopefully they will get involved to better the place.

Personally I don't think there's a school system in the state worth beans.

Not enough emphasis on the basics, and too much fluff.

Discipline sucks, and it all begins in the home.

Administrators hands are tied by endless Federal and state regulations and by legions of parents with special interests.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 AM

I agree, mostly.

Quote:
You might want to consider that many people have some limits as to what they can afford or how long a commute they're willing to put up with, plus a gazillion other factors.
Absolutely. Which is why we left the area. We were being priced out, and we have high standards for our standard for living, and quality of life. Our options were starting to be less and less - which equalled moving much further north, east or South - than we wanted to be, or that would be acceptable to us.

So we left. We wouldn't "move south" simply because that's what we could afford, if the area wasn't desirable.

I do agree that parents have a big part on success of a school, and how their children succeed - but can't fully get behind this statement...

Quote:
If the public school system sucks, it's because parents let it get that way
VOTERS let it get that way, parents or not. Unfortunately, many voters who may not have children in the school system fail to see the importance of funding school bonds and can't make the dotted line to the quality of the community when quality schools are present. (this is not even touching the situation regarding the lack of ANY KIND of voters. period)

The parents IN the school district can only do so much, with the money in place.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:01 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Actually, we probably ARE giving Renton a bad rap.

There are neighborhoods in the Renton city limits that are in fact "not bad." There are also pockets of good areas within seemingly bad areas. However, if the bottom line is being in a good school district, that could be another matter.

Both Jenbar and magrack have very good points, IMO ( I have to remember to keep using IMO because I've been criticized heavily by newer posters for being a know-it-all and arrogant so I'll qualify each statement with IMO to emphasize that's all it is "my OPINION.").

Coming from Birmingham, who knows what Kellie and family will find "nice" in the PNW. It IS relative. Renton (or Auburn, or Federal Way, or Kent, etc., etc.) might seem like very nice areas. I have no idea what Birmingham is like so I have no right to suggest what may be a nice area in relative terms. So as magrack says, a visit is probably very good advice.

Kellie, as far as owning a home in the Seattle area, don't be discouraged. From this thread, I can see you might be. Again, rent for awhile and you'll get a better idea of what you can and can't afford, and what areas you like and dislike. An income as you describe will allow you to be a homeowner somewhere in the area if that's your desire ...I won't use IMO here because I'm almost certain of this. I'm saying this because there is hope.

I'm not going to get into an argument again with some posters here about the direction of real estate prices. The amusing part is that I tend to agree with that particular poster. However, nobody knows for sure and that was my point. With that said, there may be a time where you'll be able to pick up a nice house in the future somewhere, where prices will be substantially lower than they are now. Again, don't be discouraged.

Keep us posted.

--'rocco

Old 04-03-2007, 01:14 PM

8 posts, read 224,447 times
Thanks scirocco22 for keeping my hopes up. Yes, I am very discourage but trying VERY hard to stay positive for my husband who is very excited about the move and his new job. A very big part of me wants to talk him out of accepting the job (although may be too late now, i think he already did) but that really wouldn't be fair to him and his career. I am trying to be supportive but deep inside, I am worried sick that we won't make it. Cost of living in Bimringham is just so much lower and real estate is very affordable. Sigh! We have a trip planned to Seattle next month.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:22 PM

Don't be discouraged. You have many options.

Just remember, the majority of people living in any town or city are hard working decent people who want the same things you want, despite what some say.

What you bring (as far as attitude and outlook) is what you'll find.

If you come looking for the bad, you will surely find it, and if you come looking for the good, you'll find much more of it.

Keep an open mind.

Good luck.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 27,431 times
Kelli, before you take go too far and listen to all the type about how bad the SPS schools are why not do a little homework and go visit a couple of schools in seattle. One of the other posters said the schools are crap, well, i would submit that person doesnt know crap. There are plenty of great Public schools in Seattle, you just have to know which ones are great. most of the NE schools are very good, on par with the schools in the Burbs. Most people who are in seattle do not send their children to private schools, that's a falicy. NE seattle is close to the UDUB, if i were you when you visit, go to the northeast seattle and check it out. I have two children in Public School and they are quite happy and getting a great education.

Housing is a bit of a problem in the NE, the cost is rather high. guess you have to weight the cost of commuting from the eastside, its more of a time issue with commuting from the east side. if you were in the NE area your husbands options for commuting are much better. he could ride a bike, take a bus or drive. i know a number of profs at the U who live near the NE seattle.3

good luck, and take all the posting with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area