Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 PM

11 posts, read 28,971 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I read this forum for a long time, but wanted to create my own thread, since I didn't find all answers.

We are planning to move to Seattle from Anchorage, AK.

-So how would you compare winters in Seattle and Anchorage?
Some people say that it's always dark and rainy, some people say that it's not that bad.
btw, last summer we just had 3 days of sun here in AK, and the rest was rain. Winter was really cold. I think Seattle won't be as bad in comparison, right?

-How is the job market in Seattle?
I have many many years of experience in medicine and would like to find job in that area. I'm very passionate about medicine and about helping people and want to do that kind of job.

-I'm just debating, if I just pack up my car and do a 3k mile drive to Seattle or try to find a job from ak and then move? I've tried to look for a job prior to moving, but no luck so far. Many people say that it's just better to go and find the job locally. What do you think?

Thank you in advance,
I'll really appreciate all answers and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:47 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
If you are worried about "dark" coming from Anchorage, then don't. Literally night and day...(and btw, Anchorage to Seattle is not 3,000 miles...more like about 2,000, I guess it doesn't really matter)

Seattle and the medicine industry...again, no problem. Seattle is a huge medical center.

If you have a couple thousand in savings, I would say go for it, and take your chances on a job. Even if you have to find something out of your main profession, it probably will work out. (Disclaimer: Seattle's unemployment rate is quite high).

Old 08-09-2009, 12:06 PM

thank you very much for your opinion. I appreciate it.

I'm a little worried about finding job. I have some savings, so I'll be ok for couple month without job. Is it really bad right now or it's possible to find job? it's probably one of the main issues.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:57 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyS View Post
thank you very much for your opinion. I appreciate it.

I'm a little worried about finding job. I have some savings, so I'll be ok for couple month without job. Is it really bad right now or it's possible to find job? it's probably one of the main issues.
I highly recommend finding a job before moving. The housing bubble and the slowdown of the economy hit Seattle much later than the nation as a whole so we're probably going to be stuck in a quagmire for another year of falling home values, layoffs, and deflation. On the flip side, Seattle is well positioned to rebound, so I would save more before moving if you don't find a job first.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:11 PM

151 posts, read 525,786 times
Quote:
Hello!
I read this forum for a long time, but wanted to create my own thread, since I didn't find all answers
I can see Russia from my house!

Quote:
-So how would you compare winters in Seattle and Anchorage?
I've had one winter here so far and am heading into my second. This last winter was pretty cold with snow that paralyzed downtown for a day or two.

That being said, everyone told me that wasn't normal and that most winters here are fairly mild, just rainy. On the plus side, the summer was blistering hot for a couple weeks, peaking at 100o farenheit. Yum.

Quote:
-How is the job market in Seattle?
The job market isn't great but medicine is still hot, especially nursing or anything with biotechnology. You may have the only particular skillset for which a Seattle employer would respond to you before you've moved. Give it a shot. Emailing a resume is free anyway, and following up with a phone call only costs a nickel.

Quote:
-I'm just debating, if I just pack up my car and do a 3k mile drive to Seattle or try to find a job from ak and then move?
Normally, they're right. In a healthy job market, being here makes finding a job much easier. But this isn't a healthy job market. You said you have a background in medicine. What's that mean? Are you an RN? Natural healer? Etc. etc.? Seattle has a half-dozen excellent hospitals that are always sucking up personnel and is the biotech center of the pacific northwest. Medical jobs are hot here. Keep at it and something will turn up. I'm serious. I wish I was a nurse.

Quote:
Thank you in advance,
I'll really appreciate all answers and help.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:37 PM

I just really want to move out of ak, but it's really hard to look for a job from far away, or maybe even impossible. I've tried to, but no luck yet. Some say that they don't do relocations, some say that since i'm out of state, they can't hire me.

What is the best way to rent a place in Seattle? By phone it's really hard, because i'm not here.
If I don't have a job, is it possible to find a place which doesn't require it? Since i have around 7-8K, I'll be able to rent for couple month.

Quote:
Normally, they're right. In a healthy job market, being here makes finding a job much easier. But this isn't a healthy job market. You said you have a background in medicine. What's that mean? Are you an RN? Natural healer? Etc. etc.? Seattle has a half-dozen excellent hospitals that are always sucking up personnel and is the biotech center of the pacific northwest. Medical jobs are hot here. Keep at it and something will turn up. I'm serious. I wish I was a nurse.
I wish i was a registered nurse, or MD or anything in US, but I need to study again to become one, since I graduated out of US.
I have a lot of experience as an MD and etc., so I can do an administrative job or something like that.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:49 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,076 times
You really have to be here to find a job, although the medical profession is still hiring, but if you are not local, they will probably give the job to the person who is local.
The weather is changing. Where we used to have a couple of days of 2-6 inches of show and rain from Feb-July, last year we had unmanageable snow ( I was snowed in for 18 days in Dec and I drive a 4x4) I live 30 miles north of Seattle. This year we have had only 4-5 days of light rain since May 15 and hopefully, we are going to have some light rain next week, but not much. So is this a one time thing or just because of El Ninia? You just have to trust your instinct and go for it.
Good luck

Old 08-10-2009, 01:08 AM

thank you.

is it consistently raining at winter time or it's just couple days of rain, couple days of sun?

Old 08-10-2009, 03:58 PM

by the way, since my car is financed, does anybody know if I can drive my car through Canada? or I must have the title on my hands?

Old 08-12-2009, 12:01 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,076 times
Quote:
by the way, since my car is financed, does anybody know if I can drive my car through Canada? or I must have the title on my hands?
Living in NW Washington, I have crossed the Candian border many times before the laws changed. I think they used to run your license plate and ask you for your drivers license and where you live. Now you have to have a passport to get across the border or a special drivers license if you live in a state that is up against the Canadian Border. If you are the registered owner of your car you should be OK, If not you may have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: