Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:08 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times

Advertisements

Do cops actually enforce this? I see many many drivers talking on hand held phones swerving & holding up traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 02:45 PM

506 posts, read 2,574,894 times
It's a secondary offense so they can't pull you over for just having a cellphone up to your ear. You would need to be speeding or doing something else as well before they nail you for the cellphone offense.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:54 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
is that true?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM

One of my assistants has a husband who is in law enforcement and I think that is who I heard it from.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:02 PM

googled:

Washington State cell phone ban

Washington State cell phone ban
Tuesday, 29 July 2008 00:00
Washington has joined four other states and the District of Columbia in banning the use of handheld cell phones while driving.

Since July 1, it has been illegal for drivers in Washington State to talk on a cell phone unless they are using a hands-free device. Drivers are exempt in some situations, including emergencies.

A law banning text-massaging while driving took effect Jan. 1.

Using a handheld phone while driving in Washington State is a secondary offense. That means police must pull drivers over for something else first — such as speeding or an illegal lane change.

Violators could be fined $124.

Gov. Chris Gregoire signed the cell phone and text messaging measures into law in May 2007.

New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, California and the District of Columbia also restrict motorists to hands-free devices. In these jurisdictions, the laws are all primary enforcement — an officer may ticket a driver for using a handheld cell phone while driving without any other traffic offense taking place.

No U.S. state completely bans all cell phone use, although some states restrict cell phone use by novice drivers.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:14 PM

84 posts, read 243,826 times
It is very much enforced, but it is still just a secondary offense. Also, if you have the speaker phone on, and are holding the phone a foot away from your face, that is not illegal. Weirdness.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 PM

297 posts, read 1,035,280 times
I was driving and talking on my phone going though Shoreline. I was stopped at a red light and happened to look over and saw a cop was in the car next to me. He looked over at me. Then the light turned green and he drove away. I guess it's pretty lax being a secondary offense and all.

BTW I've also seen cops driving around talking on cell phones!

Old 08-14-2009, 11:33 PM

205 posts, read 589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
I was driving and talking on my phone going though Shoreline. I was stopped at a red light and happened to look over and saw a cop was in the car next to me. He looked over at me. Then the light turned green and he drove away. I guess it's pretty lax being a secondary offense and all.

Good thing you're in Seattle. CA has strict laws about driving hands free.
Just another reason I need to move to Seattle.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:04 PM

854 posts, read 4,141,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
I saw one in Redmond doing that today!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:37 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,393 times
If you get pulled over, just say you were calling 1-800-litter1 to report a litterer. Calls made to that line are exempt from the state cell phone ban*. Really:

"Many people have asked us, "How will this impact the litter hotline? Will people stop calling the hotline for fear of getting a ticket?" The quick answer is the law lets people use cell phones to report littering...

Please don't let the new law deter you from reporting litterers... "
Site: Washington State Department of Ecology: Litter Campaign: Hotline

*Disclaimer: please do not lie to law enforcement. Example is for ironic illustration only.

Last edited by secret_squirrel; 08-15-2009 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: add disclaimer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area