Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 04:27 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

I have a couple of cars for sale, scattered around Seattle in various warehouses. Yes, I'd love to show them to you. I've researched some statistics on each of them, and have the results in hand. I've also ensured the warehouses will be open for you to view the cars. I'd estimate I've spent 10 hours of my time doing this.

Oh, you saw them but don't want to buy them? I see. That'll be 750 bucks.

My time is worth 75 dollars an hour, right? That works out to 156K a year. Which is cool. I think I've discovered a new side business. I won't sell cars. I'll just strong arm people who merely LOOK at cars.

Thank you, for that trip into utter ludicrousness.

Edit.

Just reread your post...'cuz i found it to be that funny. 250 dollars per half day (assuming 4 hours here) is $62.5 an hour. I don't make that in Iraq, and they shoot mortars and rockets at me. Which is like, even more absurd. It's more money per hour than many doctors and most pilots make.

If you told her you were looking at another house which she was not showing you....and she says she didn't know you were looking at other options, I have just one thing to say. THANK GOD she is not handling your sale. Because she's either;

A. High
B. A moron
C. Scatterbrained
D. On planet Zark
E. Aligned with the spirits, but not with you
F. Just caught a buzz, and it's great
G. Just getting off a buzz, and it's not so great
H. Having a good laugh at your expense
I. Living the good life by charging people for something they are not contractually obligated to pay
J. Seeing how long she can get away with this
K. Needs more money for Beer Pong
L. Thinks that everyone owes her a favor
M. Thinks you're an idiot

I can go on. But I'm not.

I'd also report her. Because what she did to YOU she will attempt with someone who didn't have the forethought to ask questions.
Good catch!

Last edited by 70Ford; 09-09-2009 at 04:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 10:51 AM

854 posts, read 4,141,334 times
Hahaha! Sorry 70Ford, I have to spread rep around before I can give it to you again, but that's hilarious!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG1 View Post
She says that she had not realized that I was considering other options at the time that we scheduled (though I did tell her on the first day that I was also viewing a rental house that a friend had found for me). Is this standard practice? What is fair in this situation? Thanks!
Simple... just inform her that you had not realized she charges a fee

Old 09-09-2009, 04:14 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
" Thank you for calling Rip-U-Off Realty. If you've reached this number during normal business hours, our agents are busy stealing money from other clients. Please leave your name and phone number and one of our shysters will call you back as soon as possible. Have a nice day."

Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 15,687 times
Thank you all for your posts - and perspectives! I have decided not to pay, but to thank the realtor and put the $750 toward the increase in my auto insurance rates resulting from hitting a parked car during my trip to Seattle. Once I relocate, I will have to start a new thread on driving in the Emerald City, where incredibly dangerous, 2-way stops appear to be the rule rather than the exception, and where parking spots seem designed for clown cars ...

Old 09-09-2009, 11:10 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Not standard practice. I believe that Redfin does charge for tours after you've viewed a certain number for free. If you never signed anything, and the realtor never specifically handed you something that said you were paying for viewing properties, you don't owe them a dime.
What's fair in this situation? How about sending her a note suggesting that you don't owe her anything, that showing properties is part of the cost of doing business as a real estate agent, and that you'd be perfectly willing to escalate this both to her broker and to the real estate commission if she chooses to pursue this. Send the note as a registered letter, that'll show that you're serious and not to be taken lightly. I think that's fair.
I show lots of properties. Sometimes things don't work out, and my clients end up renting instead of buying, or they decide they'd be more comfortable with another agent. That's just part of the business. Not everything pays. if she hadn't asked for 750 dollars, I might have offered to buy her lunch as a thank you, but if she's taking that attitude, forget that. Send that formal registered letter.
Redfin gives unlimited free tours now. And you don't have to be preapproved to tour in Seattle.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:08 AM

Thanks, seattlenextyear. Redfin has had a couple of different policies about charging for tours. it's nice to see them doing the most sensible thing right now.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:35 AM

36 posts, read 69,533 times
Default Looking for house to rent and buying in a year

This weekend we tried calling on several rental (houses) properties we were interested in. Also called the numbers associated with the listings online. I'm wondering if Realtors and or property management companies show properties on the weekends? This, because we couldn't seem to get anyone on the phone. Except for someone from "bellproperties" whom was very nice but said someone could call me back during the week, I get the feeling that agents don't hang around much on the weekends???

We are looking to get out of our 1 bedroom apt which we like a lot but need more space and want to rent a house somewhere between Everette and Renton for around the same rent. Nice areas only, don't mind semi-rural as long as there is near access to freeway and shopping.
In a year or so if job is still intact we'd like to buy a home. Any suggestions?

Old 09-14-2009, 11:57 AM

The real estate agents you called were probably showing houses. Weekends are the busiest for real estate agents. However...
The vast majority of rental houses are not listed on the MLS, and most real estate agents and Realtors don't do rentals, since they can pretty much only earn a commission from MLS listed rentals, and here aren't very many of them.
My suggestion? Rent a house without an agent. Craigslist has plenty of houses for rent. nwsource.com has some as well. When you're ready to buy, call an agent. Then they'll return your calls

Old 09-14-2009, 12:36 PM

282 posts, read 806,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The real estate agents you called were probably showing houses. Weekends are the busiest for real estate agents. However...
The vast majority of rental houses are not listed on the MLS, and most real estate agents and Realtors don't do rentals, since they can pretty much only earn a commission from MLS listed rentals, and here aren't very many of them.
My suggestion? Rent a house without an agent. Craigslist has plenty of houses for rent. nwsource.com has some as well. When you're ready to buy, call an agent. Then they'll return your calls
I understand real estate agents make money by commission. However, for whatever reason, this agent clearly chose to show the OP rental properties. Additionally, I've seen agencies/agents make money from the owner of these rentals for bringing new candidates in.

Whether the agent had this or not is not the point, clearly (from the OP's comments), this agent was attempting to be "sneaky" and get money, after the fact, for something which was never discussed or signed for in advance.

That's shady business practices and the type of stuff which has put many realtor's reputations on par with used car salesmen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: