Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:12 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times

Advertisements

There's something intrinsically wrong when a state's citizens aren't just looked at as a revenue stream, but as a revenue stream that needs to commit an infraction to source that revenue.

Sell 'em on safety. Sell them on "It's for the children." Hit 'em in the pocketboook. When the populace screams, ask them, "Why do you hate the children? Why do you love to commit traffic infractions?" It's like asking a man, "Why do you like beating your wife so much?" Don't even answer. There is no right answer.

Putting these in place is assuming people will be guilty. Which, is probably true.
It's also, pretty harsh. Innocent, 'til proven guilty? Nah. Gonna assume you'll screw up and put these cameras here. You're guilty. Just, not yet.

Local News | 2nd suit takes on red-light cameras, 20 cities | Seattle Times Newspaper

Seattle put up six cameras at four intersections in 2006. By the end of August, there will be 30. The city ticketed 58,000 drivers in the first three years and collected almost $5 million in fines.

Andrea Robertson, an attorney who worked with Rosen on the case, said it's clear from the negotiations between cities and camera manufacturers Redflex Traffic Solutions and American Traffic Solutions that "for the most part, this is seen as a profit measure for these cities."

Along with Seattle, the other cities being sued are: Auburn, Bellevue, Bremerton, Burien, Federal Way, Fife, Issaquah, Lacey, Lake Forest Park, Lakewood, Lynnwood, Monroe, Moses Lake, Puyallup, Renton, SeaTac, Spokane, Tacoma and Wenatchee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 07:46 AM

315 posts, read 776,195 times
In several areas of the country, the DOT in conjunction with these light ticket operators were not getting the results they had hoped for. so what did they do? they calibrated the time of the yellow light down .2-1 full second to yield more tickets. They set them lower then their own DOT recommended settings.

In a few of these cases, the judge found out and in one case an old judge went out to the interersection with a stop watch. He went back to his court room mad as hell and dismissed all outstanding tickets and ordered the city to repay all past violations! It costs them millions.

Fight, fight fight, this greedy unconstitutional practice!

Old 09-15-2009, 07:52 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,530 times
Let me preface all of this by saying that I'm a cautious and courteous driver. Rude and aggressive drivers irritate me to no end ...

They have these stupid cameras out here in Virginia, too. They keep getting turned on and off, depending on the legislature's mood. It's just another way to separate people from their hard-earned money and harass drivers. Some studies have said these cameras actually increase accidents at intersections, because overcompensating drivers will slam on their brakes when they see the light change to yellow and cause another car to rear-end them.

If the government can't bleed enough money out of the citizenry without resorting to this kind of chicanery, maybe they need to think about cutting back their expenses instead.

Don't you love how it's always "for the children"? I despise mandatory seatbelt laws, too, and no one understands why, since "what's wrong with being safe?" Well, that's not the point. It's not the government's job to protect me from myself. Of course wearing a seatbelt is a good idea, but it's not the government's job to MAKE me wear it.

Anyway, this is a big deal right now in Virginia, because the state constitution clearly says you have a right to face your accuser. Sending you a photo and a ticket in the mail is not "facing your accuser." So with any luck, the whole idea of these cameras will eventually get tossed aside.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:11 AM

36 posts, read 69,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib View Post
Let me preface all of this by saying that I'm a cautious and courteous driver. Rude and aggressive drivers irritate me to no end ...

They have these stupid cameras out here in Virginia, too. They keep getting turned on and off, depending on the legislature's mood. It's just another way to separate people from their hard-earned money and harass drivers. Some studies have said these cameras actually increase accidents at intersections, because overcompensating drivers will slam on their brakes when they see the light change to yellow and cause another car to rear-end them.

If the government can't bleed enough money out of the citizenry without resorting to this kind of chicanery, maybe they need to think about cutting back their expenses instead.

Don't you love how it's always "for the children"? I despise mandatory seatbelt laws, too, and no one understands why, since "what's wrong with being safe?" Well, that's not the point. It's not the government's job to protect me from myself. Of course wearing a seatbelt is a good idea, but it's not the government's job to MAKE me wear it.

Anyway, this is a big deal right now in Virginia, because the state constitution clearly says you have a right to face your accuser. Sending you a photo and a ticket in the mail is not "facing your accuser." So with any luck, the whole idea of these cameras will eventually get tossed aside.
I highly doubt if it will be tossed aside. It makes money and lets the working class know they are being watched as they go to and fro everyday of their lives. Whether it's a camera at an intersection or the patriot act sniffing through your emails or phone calls there's a subtle tyrannistic pattern to all of it and I don't think they are going to stop now.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:51 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,436,394 times
In the UK these are being destroyed, defaced and even burned down for this very reason.

I have to wonder why this is not happening in the US.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:42 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,180 times
I just got a ticket in Puyallup for running a red light for 1 second. I am trying to fight it and requested an hearing. I think it's BS. If they are to keep the red light cameras they need to lighten up a bit and give the camera a few extra seconds OR lengthen the yellow light by a few seconds. My argument is when a vehicle is right about to enter the intersection and the light turns yellow, it is hard to stop sometimes and you may barely run the light if it changes a little too quick. It seems these lights are short on the yellow too, I wonder why? Not fair if you ask me. I will not slam on my brakes risking an accident or damage to my vehicle trying to stop for fear of running a red light by 1 second!

If they do not agree with what I am trying to say, then I will just nicely tell the Court that the next time I am approaching an intersection and the light turns yellow, and I feel I cannot safely and effectively stop in a normal manner, I will FLOOR the throttle and try my best to beat that red light! I will also reiterate my car is a Twin Turbo and this should not be too hard of a feat for me.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,533,678 times
My husband got caught by the red light camera downtown. Boy was he surprised to get that letter in the mail and he swears it was yellow the whole time.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:35 AM

121 posts, read 337,985 times
I think the solution to the problem of cameras recording and issuing tickets is simple: don't run red lights. It's almost too logical.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:43 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
We have them in Houston and the best thing I've found to do is....yes, don't run red lights.

Although right before they went up, I saw someone run a red light at an intersection, get broadsided by a Ford F-150 doing at least 555 and get sent careening about 100 feet into the car two lanes over from me. If that's not a deterrent, I don't know what is.

I couldn't tell you what the red-light runner was driving, because I couldn't recognize it after the accident. I wonder if that bloodied girl I saw that got ejected from the truck survived. I never heard about it on the news.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:40 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Under The Clouds View Post
I think the solution to the problem of cameras recording and issuing tickets is simple: don't run red lights. It's almost too logical.
Judge Tosses Red-Light Camera Tickets - Los Angeles Times

The company receives $70 for each $271 ticket. Last year it made $1.76 million from the city. As the cameras are installed at more intersections, payments to the company could skyrocket.

Styn said state law requires the city to calibrate and monitor the timing of the cameras to ensure that motorists are not being ticketed unfairly.

Motorists have complained that they are receiving tickets even when they enter an intersection legally. That argument got a boost in the spring when it was shown that the timing of the cameras was faulty at several intersections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area