Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 05:57 PM

77 posts, read 340,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Well I wouldn't know what kind of writing style SaltyDawg has based on my exposure to his one post, because I don't look at people's post history to try and validate my bizarre insinuations. But I guess one with such uncanny predictive abilities doesn't get that way without doing research.

I could turn this right around and say your favorite tactic is to preemptively ascribe traits to people who haven't even had the chance to respond, so that you can take the teeth out of their argument by saying you already knew they were going to respond like that, therefore validating your original claims. Oops run on sentence, hope that didn't sound too much like SaltyDawg.

You were combative and smug right off the bat and now you are taking heat for it. Go ahead and look at my post history, most of it is pretty even handed contrary to what you said. Mainly I was correcting Jenbar, who obviously has a bone to pick and straight up lied about alot of things. I don't trash other cities and I don't take personal offense when someone has valid criticisms with the area. I don't take anything you said to heart, because you are exactly right, this is an effing internet message board and it's only natural that you'll find scumbags like you and me in their natural habitat.

Now on a scale of 1-10, how much of this did you already know I was going to say?

These amps go to 11.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
"DD" means "dear daughter". I thought her boyfriend from Seattle was very defensive about the rain, and he complained constantly about Colorado while visiting in my house, which I found very rude. I thought it was him, not everyone from Seattle. I do not know anyone else from Seattle, though I know people who have lived there.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 8,974 times
1. (unfriendly) - Yes, some people are passive-aggressive, but what are you gonna do? better than being really mean and aggressive I think. I don't think it is any harder to make friends here than anywhere else. If you take the first step people here are very receptive.

2. (depressing) - the grey weather makes me want to cuddle up with a book, hot tea, a movie, my kitty, etc. But all of my buddies and myself are also drinkers. There is a huge social bar scene here if you stick to the same 2-3 you'll see the same people all of the time. Plus bad weather makes you appreciate the great weather. As for rain, it rains mostly in the am, so you wake up with a clean car and a watered lawn. The winter is pretty yucky, just lots of mud, rain, and wind. But I'd rather have that then freezing cold.

3. I think I answered this. People keep to thier own 'hood. But then again, I know all the bartenders, waitresses, and locals. I like that!

4. Downtown shuts down early-ish. Belltown is still hoppin until the wee hours. It depends on what you like, and your age I guess. I love to play pool, darts, bar games (yes I'm a girl). My rock climbing gym stays open until 11pm and leaves me time to meet with friends after. Over all I would agree with a lack of variety late at night.

5. The housing market it horrible. Thats why I'm moving. As for wokr, it depends on what you do. I judge the market (pretty accurately I think) by how many restaurants are looking for servers. If people have the money to go out to dinner, more servers are needed in the area.... though I know if you want to have a small business it is tough going. (Economically not that great)

Good luck!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:41 PM

638 posts, read 2,281,063 times
Thanks Pitt :-)

Old 08-07-2007, 11:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
You're welcome!

Old 08-08-2007, 09:42 AM

474 posts, read 1,455,710 times
Default Nice!

Geometric - your last post definitely cracked me up, having just re-watched Spinal Tap at the Fremont Outdoor theater a couple weeks back. Nice work

Old 08-08-2007, 03:48 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,811 times
Quote:
The people: passive-aggressive, introverted, standoffish, inconsiderate, conformist, judgemental, unjustifiably arrogant, and defensive. I'm not sure if it's so much local culture by itself that makes the locals act like this, or backlash over their aversion to "Californication" or really anyone from anywhere else moving into the area.

Whoever said Seattle's a great place to raise a family is maybe a little off track. Sure, it's not wild and crazy Phoenix or Daytona Beach or something, but Seattle and WA state don't seem to have the law enforcement infrastructure to keep track of sex offenders. Dogs, apparently, enjoy greater social protections than children here do.

The weather is actually nice, but lack of central AC in most houses and apartments in the summer is still uncomfortable. Locals will snort and say it's nothing, sweating all the while just like anyone else would.

The poster who talked about the half-assed, drag-assed, lazy work ethic is right on the money. Sure, Seattle has a high rate of people with Bachelor's degrees -- apparently this "overqualifies" them for the service sector jobs that they perform so poorly. By the way, that statistic is based on number of people with Bachelor's degrees -- the Washington DC are has a higher per capita number of people with advanced post-graduate degrees (it's lawyer city over there).

Regarding intellectual culture: the "most literate" statistic, I think really means that people keep their noses in a book in public to avoid interacting with others.

Do yourself a favor -- if you really want to move to the Pacific Northwest and not hate it, try Portland -- even then, have an exit strategy, because Portland is only slightly less pretentious and boring (if a little scummier) than Seattle.

Generally, I don't think it's even worthwhile to try to make friends with the natives -- they're annoying enough when you have to deal with them daily without spending your free time around them. Also, as this post will likely elicit enough passive-aggressive snarky responses already, I wanted to add that few cities in the U.S. take civic pride to the level of personal psychosis that Seattle natives do. Mention any other city in the country, and Seattleites will crap all over it (especially if they've never been there) -- say one negative (yet true) thing about Seattle and they run for some statistics quote from 1991 claiming that it's a nice place.
Well said and 100% accurate - and an eloquent description of why after 6 years I for one am getting out.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 PM

77 posts, read 340,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Well said and 100% accurate - and an eloquent description of why after 6 years I for one am getting out.
Thanks, I also couldn't resist replicating and posting my top 10 Seattle responses to criticism list on seattle shmeng, as well.

You might already read that site -- if not, the orginal poster links it.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:14 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
I think it gets back to....taking time to stop and smell the roses (evergreens).

Yes in some cities (most east coast), life comes at you hard and fast and its the "norm"....But it, at sometime, becomes your choice of how you want to live. Stress is not a good thing, and self inflicted stress about "city planning" or "lack of sunshine" or "this wasnt what we expected" ...will?only lead to your own misery while the people that have come to grip with the brief lifespan we all have.....are smelling the roses and smiling... NYSooner, you seem like a person that left NY to find a better life, a different life, a different pace for you and your beloved....just let it happen. 4 months?? Geez you cant even grow grapes in that time...No sense makin them "Sour Grapes" (sorry bad pun)

Dont turn your back on the "edge" you may have developed while in NYC....but just realize when and where it is in your advantage to utilize it. The checkout person at Safeway...doesnt stand a chance (No insult to clerks at Safeway...just an example)Not their fault. Seattle is unique, and when you have come to accept it for its positive and negetive..I hope you realize how fortunate you really are.

Right now I live somewhere were I cant barely read the signs, order a cup of coffee or get directions. BUT is it Tokyos problem? Or mine? And as I spend more time here, I find the harmony that makes this a world class city, and I learn more about myself...(just an example)
I think you have some good points. As for our NY friend I can imagine it would be a VERY hard adjustment to get used to Seattle....or pretty much any other place after living in/and liking New York City. I have spent a lot of time in both NY and Seattle. NY has some incredible things about it, but it is much too fast paced/crowded/noisy for me. I love spending a week here or there but no more. Seattle seems much more slower paced and relaxing and casual(maybe that's where you're getting the lazy vibe and the dislike of peoples attire). It is one of the reasons I like Seattle...and I'm certainly not uneducated or lazy. Maybe you just need some time to come down off the high-stress, fast paced, frantic energy that is NY. You know how they say "When in Rome do as the Romans do". Try doing some typically Seattle things like strolling Pike's market and picking up fresh fish for dinner or sitting at Starbucks reading a good book. You might like it.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:22 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I wonder what is so different about me that I've had such a different experience every time I've been to Seattle. On my last trip I spent the morning at Pike's Market and had a friendly chat with numerous vendors and people. I actually remarked to my friend that I was surprised at how friendly the people seemed. EX: My friend and I were sitting having lunch and a woman sat near us with a baby in a stroller. She smiled at us and apologized for the location of the stroller b/c it was crowding us a bit. I said no problem and said she had a beautiful baby. She said thanks and proceeded to tell me how he just loves being out in the stoller and its such a nice day for it....blah....blah...blah. That whole morning I felt completely at home and at ease even though Seattle is not my home town and I was just visiting. Wonder why I have such a different impression????? Any ideas? Maybe I fit in more b/c I typically wear Seattle-like clothes b/c my husband works for REI. Did the crocs or jungle mocs on my feet and the prana t-shirt indicate to people that I'm a person they'd want to talk to? Curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area