Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 04:44 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I am sorry to report that DE does not work against ticks. I just pulled a bunch off of my longhair dog, that were embedded. Oh Lordy, these things are starting to have babies with them too. I'm going to have to go with the expensive Frontline, unless someone has a better idea. I have 4 60 lb. dogs to treat. I"m so disappointed.
Your vet has a better idea. If you love your dogs, take yourr vet's advice. I've been using Frontline Plus for years and never see a tick. There are no fleas where I live.

If you wish to save money, buy it on ebay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 11:09 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
Not all topical pest control solutions are effective for ticks (most are just for fleas) so make sure to get one that specifically mentions tick control, and within those you want to get one that controls all the major ticks (FrontlinePlus,K9 Advantix, Bio-Spot PotOn) not just brown dog ticks.

These are good products that do what they promise, but keep in mind that you are putting a known poison on your pet, it's not simply a medication. There are risks and side effects that need to be researched and considered. Know how to identify the signs that your pet or other member of your family is experiencing an allergic reaction to the products, and any steps you need to take if they do. If you have a heavy infestation, the benefits may far outweigh the risks to your pet, other pets you may have, you and your family. Always wash your hands after petting or grooming your dog once you have applied the solution since irritation from contact with mucus membranes and the eyes remains a risk while the solution is active.

Warning: if you also have cats, do not use a product that contains Permethrin on the cat or on other pets that come in close contact with the cat and the cat's usual environment, as permethrin is highly toxic to and can be fatal to cats. Instead, use a product containing pyrethrin or fipronil. Note that many species of fleas and ticks are becoming resistant to pyrethrin (and fipronil to a lesser degree) in some areas where these products are used heavily.

If you have a heavy infestation in your area, you also need to address controlling ticks in the environment. Keep your lawn mowed short, edge around all structures (including fences), clear all brush and debris from the area, treat any kennels/doghouses/bedding frequently, and restrict your dog to these areas if possible. If you do not have cats, the most effective indoor and outdoor treatments are those containing Premethrin (Premethrin Pro, Drione Dust) and you should only treat dark/moist areas where the ticks hide out (under porches, dog houses/bedding, under bushes, around fences & structures, etc) not the entire yard or room. Products containing garlic oil are also effective at reducing the number of ticks outdoors, and can be sprayed over the entire yard; but are better at control rather than breaking an active infestation because they don't kill the insects they only repel them.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:15 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
grow herbs--stevia, basil, parsley, thyme and rosemary, mint

grow butternut squash, tomatoes and peppers

garlic --i grow a lot of garlic--good for everything,jmo

water--drink a lot.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:38 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Ticks on dogs: beware! there is such a thing as canine erlichia (sp?). Terrible disease carried by ticks that will put a dog down in 24 hours. I know. My dog was the 2nd case in Dona Ana county, years ago. Only my very intelligent and perceptive Vet saved my dog. I had to have my entire yard professionally sprayed for ticks a couple of times to eliminate the problem. No longer am I "too cheap" to buy Frontline.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:40 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,595 times
Usnea (old man's beard) for bacterial infection. It appears to be the only thing that will kill the new strain of antibiotic-resistant infections plaguing hospitals all over the country. I've gotten rid of pnemonia with this stuff and infections from cuts & scrapes while handling seafood. It must be completely dried and powdered. Thankfully I live in a rain forest, it hangs from the trees all around me. It's worth your researching.

About - Usnea: A Lesser-known Antibacterial

Old 07-06-2011, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 631 times
i make an equal parts misture of lavender oil, chamomile oil, comfry oil and bees wax. this work similar to neosporin, but 100x better. i've used it toically to help cure a sinus infection as well.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:35 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterchild60 View Post
i make an equal parts misture of lavender oil, chamomile oil, comfry oil and bees wax. this work similar to neosporin, but 100x better. i've used it toically to help cure a sinus infection as well.
good to know. Do you get these oils at a health food store?

Old 07-07-2011, 02:40 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
I make laundry soap with 1 cup grated Fels Naptha soap, 1/2 cup Mule Team Borax, and 1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda.
Mix them up. Directions say to use 1T per load, I always use at least 2, because our clothes get dirty
At one T, you get 32 loads.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:22 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,934,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
My grandfather made moonshine. As kids, we rarely went to the doctor. For baby teething problems: soak rye bread crust in moonshine and hand it to the baby to gum. For high fevers: soak a towel in moonshine and lay it on your chest as it cools down the body. For colds/flu, lots of moonshine in hot tea. It was also used for bug bites, rashes, etc. We still have the still but no one in the family is brave enough to fire it up and restock the moonshine.
~ Have you ever even tasted Moonshine???
That would choke a baby!
It choked me and all I did was smell it!

Old 01-25-2012, 05:56 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
Actually, a good friend of mine makes moonshine - it is primo liquor, smooth and tastes slightly like apples.
You must've gotten some bad stuff.
Did it smell like anti-freeze?

Usnea barbata - is that what we down South used to call Spanish Moss? It was always full of redbugs.. the yankees used to come down south and load it into their trunks for craft projects, and get covered with tiny bites that drove them crazy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness