Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 04:34 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times

Advertisements

jeez, are you people afraid of everything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 04:52 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
No, but we believe in being PREPARED for as many eventualities as possible, and KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.

Check the name of this sub-forum again, 'cuz I think you got confused when you accidentally clicked on it.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:56 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Think of it as our hobby. It's a hobby that includes buying precious metals, guns, rural real estate, and a variety of other things that we don't consume and which move with inflation, often better, so it's also a really neat investment plan as well. I once read a book about investing in collectibles published by Dow-Jones. The author made it clear that people should invest in collectibles that they like so that market fluctuations wouldn't trouble them. That's excellent advice. Have you ever lain in bed surrounded by gold and silver coins, guns,and other pretty things? Rest assured, it's nice.

And here's one of this survivalist's heroes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YRYffiC648

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 10-15-2010 at 06:18 PM..

Old 10-16-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
No, but we believe in being PREPARED for as many eventualities as possible, and KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.

Check the name of this sub-forum again, 'cuz I think you got confused when you accidentally clicked on it.

I am aware of where I posted, and what you believe. Yes, being prepared is a good thing, but preparing for whatever massive end of the world scenario some people believe in is nonsense.

Some people take it too far IMO.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:10 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drearth View Post
i am aware of where i posted, and what you believe. Yes, being prepared is a good thing, but preparing for whatever massive end of the world scenario some people believe in is nonsense.

Some people take it too far imo.
bingo !

Old 10-17-2010, 10:29 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
They screwed up on Massachusetts. They say there are no nuclear reactors in mass. Which is completely wrong there two one in Plymouth and one in Rowe.

List of nuclear power plants in America

Also there is a coast guard station in my hometown in Marshfield, MA.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:52 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
I am aware of where I posted, and what you believe. Yes, being prepared is a good thing, but preparing for whatever massive end of the world scenario some people believe in is nonsense IMO

Some people take it too far IMO.
FTFY.

You have a choice, you don't need to go hog wild and build a bunker for all TEOTWAWKI scenarios. Most of us don't believe in many "massive end of the world scenarios" but do have enough information to conclude that many of the things that we currently take for granted, may not be there in 10-20 years, nor that those things have been replaced by something that is better (or even replaced at all).

Thus we are ensuring that we are not going to depend on those things should they become unavailable. Every one of us is different in our means, methods and strategies for doing this, and each of us have different goals for those preparations.

Ultimately none of this affects anyone else, so it always bemuses me as to why anyone else really cares. However since I have someone on the hook (DrEarth), why do you care what I may be doing?

Old 10-17-2010, 01:24 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
Everyone has different reasons and objectives for preparing and becoming more self-sufficient. Being aware of possible threats and the probability of risk is just good common sense if you want to be prepared... how you can prepare when you don't know what the risks are?

Most "preppers" tend not to judge each other's reasons for prepping, even if we don't agree with their threat analysis. The "why" isn't as important as supporting each other by sharing the "how".

Old 10-17-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
FTFY.

You have a choice, you don't need to go hog wild and build a bunker for all TEOTWAWKI scenarios. Most of us don't believe in many "massive end of the world scenarios" but do have enough information to conclude that many of the things that we currently take for granted, may not be there in 10-20 years, nor that those things have been replaced by something that is better (or even replaced at all).

Thus we are ensuring that we are not going to depend on those things should they become unavailable. Every one of us is different in our means, methods and strategies for doing this, and each of us have different goals for those preparations.

Ultimately none of this affects anyone else, so it always bemuses me as to why anyone else really cares. However since I have someone on the hook (DrEarth), why do you care what I may be doing?

I don't care what you do, but it amuses me to read some of the posts here from those who are prepping for Mad Max, end of times, or whatever. I know that is not all here, but some, yes. So, when bored, I just stop by for a laugh, and to make my little snarky comments.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:03 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
Be careful with the "dropping in to make snarky comments" as this can be considered off-topic, trolling and/or hijack of thread which are all TOS violations. If you have nothing useful to add to a discussion (and, yes, counter-arguments are useful), probably best to refrain from posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness