Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 04:01 AM

323 posts, read 1,791,400 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I knew this forum would probably be the best place to ask this question.
Which state do you think has less Governement intrusion in your life and why? Also does less Governement generally mean less taxes? Hence less "services?"
I do have a reason why I am asking but I will wait until perhaps there are some responses to this question.
If this has already been discussed I apologize for posting it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 04:20 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Alaska.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Wyoming

Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 AM

829 posts, read 2,955,651 times
Good question....asked this myself before.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:44 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Depends on what you mean by Government intrusion.

Alaska has decriminalized marijuana possession, there doesn't seem to be many DEA raids. California passed the medical marijuana laws, and there's been a bunch of DEA raids there. Seems a little unbalanced behavior by the DEA. Federal intrusion should be consistent across all 50 states, it doesn't appear to be. Although you're as likely to be subject of a wiretap/internet usage investigation/mail screening in AK as WA or any of the other 48 states

Now State government is an entirely different can of beans. The two states I have the most experience of are Washington and Alaska. Washington is certainly more of a state that has a philosophy of protecting the citizens sometimes against their citizens wishes. Alaska seem to trust that their citizens will make their own decisions and take their lumps because of bad decisions.

Now as for how the state government intrudes into life, both WA and AK were about the same, vehicle licensing was the same, prices different, Fish and Game intrusion is probably edged by AK (but I'm in a completely different scenario, so I can't say its comparable), Land use/regulations/rules Alaska wins by a mile, but I'm in a unorganized borough (no "county" government) and out of any city limits, I can't comment on the cities in AK, but WA was a whole mess of them.

Firearms AK has it and it's no edge buying a firearm fill in a federally mandated 4473 pass a NICS check, and you can walk out with your purchase regardless of whether it's a rifle, shotgun or handgun, there is no need for a concealed carry license to concealed carry, if you can own a firearm you can carry it however you want for NFA weapons and Destructive devices Alaska has a "shall approve" law requiring that CLEO's complete their section within 30 days of sending. WA had a waiting period on handguns and a state managed clearance for handguns, long guns same as AK, and WA has a "shall issue" Concealed Carry license, no license required for open carry NFA Classified weapons were purely at the discretion of the CLEO.

Taxes, AK has none that I pay, WA had sales tax but not state income.

Now as for Law Enforcement, I've only ever seen one cop in the 18 months or so I've been in AK. He was kind of cool thought we might be someone he was supposed to be meeting, and chatty, WA cops tend to be more in your face, but that can be put down to just city vs. country policing. Although WA is getting a reputation for having trigger happy cops.

So again it comes down to what's intrusion...? Most of the time people mean federal intrusion and that is agnostic of the state. If you mean firearms which tends to be the most regulated, then there are a few that are more gun friendly than others Vermont, Alaska and Arizona, but Utah and a bunch of others aren't too far behind, New York, New Jersey and Illinois obviously are at the bottom of that scale. However these are personal observations on my perception of intrusion, many people are OK with TSA body scanning and pat downs and don't see it as intrusive, others do not. If you could be more specific on what intrusive means to you then you'd likely get better answers.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
I have one criterion: gun laws. If the Wyoming legislature doesn't dump the unconstitutional requirement for concealed carry permits, I'll have my house on the market next year and head for Arizona when I sell it. My permit is the Second Amendment. I know that Scalia and Obama both support ''reasonable regulation'', but they're statists who don't believe in freedom. As John Marshall, first Chief Jusrice of the US Supreme Court stated, "A law that is repugnant to the constitution need not be obeyed."

Interestingly, the first legal decision based on the Second Amendment had nothing to do with guns. A local judge in Kentucky threw out that state's prohibition on carrying Bowie knives.

I left both Illinois and Colorado because of gun control legislation. This time it will be to move to a state that's moving in the right direction. But I do like Wyoming; I hope that they do the right thing.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:48 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,651 times
I heard New Hampshire has a big conservative/liberty/freedom movement going on with people moving to it because of the freedoms which kind of surprises me being in the north east. I would assume a lot of the rural states like montana/wyoming/utah/idaho etc, i also heard from some body about 8 or so years ago who was moved to idaho from wyoming because of all the tree huggers pushing there agendas...I think texas is very good with there 2nd ammendment laws arent they? What about the carolinas, georgia, and possibly florida? I love the coastal south east and even asked a question on here about which state had the most freedom between south carolina, ga, and florida. Interesting question though, and an important one.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:48 AM

323 posts, read 1,791,400 times
Thanks for all your replys. Currently I moved back up to NY state where I was born n raised. However since my return I have had ocassion to witness much of a "Big brother is watching you concept". Personally I do not enjoy this feeling and then to top it off I had occassion to have someone near and dear to me set up, provoked and attacked by cops and now he is the one on a 5 yr probation. When it was actually the law enforcement officers who were at wrong. I say this confidentally because my feeling is if he were in another state what happened would NEVER have happened and hence now his record is blackened and supposedly he cant leave the area. (probation) I guess part of me was wondering if he did get a court order to leave area and if he had to go to probabtion elsewhere, would they drop him eventually and sooner perhaps (for good behavior )
Eventually he wants to have his record expunged because it was a paultry reason that the law enforcement people where involved to begin with.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by energygrrl; 12-01-2010 at 03:50 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 12-01-2010, 01:23 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energygrrl View Post
Thanks for all your replys. Currently I moved back up to NY state where I was born n raised. However since my return I have had ocassion to witness much of a "Big brother is watching you concept". Personally I do not enjoy this feeling and then to top it off I had occassion to have someone near and dear to me set up, provoked and attacked by cops and now he is the one on a 5 yr probation. When it was actually the law enforcement officers who were at wrong. I say this confidentally because my feeling is if he were in another state what happened would NEVER have happened and hence now his record is blackened and supposedly he cant leave the area. (probation) I guess part of me was wondering if he did get a court order to leave area and if he had to go to probabtion elsewhere, would they drop him eventually and sooner perhaps (for good behavior )
Eventually he wants to have his record expunged because it was a paultry reason that the law enforcement people where involved to begin with.
Any thoughts?
Sounds more like he made someone get a bug in their @ss and they finally got him on something. Not surprising really, current statistics estimate every US Citizen commits an average of at least one felony per day (not counting misdemeanors). Just a matter of someone spending time watching until the observed does something that is illegal enough to get a charge and conviction.

I think this could happen anywhere, not just NY State.
Rule #1 is cardio...
but
Rule #2 is don't ***** off the police, some are stand up, some are there because it gives them power over others (these are the one's to watch out for).

If he did ***** off the police then in certain other states his situation may be significantly worse, like I said WA is turning very trigger happy, when a guy who is whittling on the street is told to put down the knife, then shot and killed, and it's adjudicated that the cop was justified, then it's pretty much approaching a license to kill.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:32 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
NH almost as gun friendly as Ak is. I don't know the rest of the answers. A carry permit here is 10 bucks for residents. The NICS is fedral you be in and out of the gun store with anything counting a machine gun, with the same permits as Ak, in 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness