Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM

934 posts, read 1,940,192 times

Advertisements

Yes, this issue seems to be 'pervasive' to only one individual here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 04:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,694,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
Yes, this issue seems to be 'pervasive' to only one individual here
Naw, just wait - there's another guy on here who feels the same way - bought his "dream property" next to public lands, and calls the public that uses it "rednecks" because they bother him and don't let him enjoy his property as well as the public property the way he wants...

Old 01-24-2012, 05:21 PM

4,540 posts, read 6,810,883 times
Are both your houses near the same property line because that is the only place you could get your well and septic? If it was an approved lot the plan shouldn't be a surprise.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:36 AM

827 posts, read 1,673,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
As you know, we've had a ton of snow here in NH this year. The future neighbors hired some company to plow their (dirt) driveway, and so far three times now my spouse has come home to a 15' wall of snow, where they cleared the snow from the granite hill drive and pushed it onto our driveway.

Not being here during the day, we don't know what plowing company this is, to tell them to stop (you'd think they wouldn't have to be told). So we've been walking up to the house, and getting out the ATV with the plow attachment to dig ourselves out.

I can't wait to be a rural-dweller once again, since for my whole life it seems like I buy a house and then a city develops around me!
I DO believe it is illegal to do that [put snow in your driveway] I would notify the Exeter PD about that. THEY can probably find the owner and pass onthe info [or at least find out the plow company and site them]

Old 01-27-2012, 11:46 AM

37,482 posts, read 61,459,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Funny... when the power goes out here, you can hear the gennies starting or smell the woodsmoke as the fireplaces or woodstoves are fired up. Because we live 40 miles from the closest grocery, we have at least 2 weeks of supplies (most have more - we grow and can and dehydrate and butcher here). If it goes on too long, we're either calling each other or dropping by to make sure our neighbors are warm and eating. If someone is stranded out at one of the ranches, or goes off the highway or one of the ranch roads, we call each other and pile into our 4WDs or 4-wheelers and go out to help. Some of us have plows on our trucks or 4-wheelers, and we cut paths or dig each other out. Two neighbors are assigned to the county plows, and we call them out too. Flood or washout, snow or ice, fire or windstorm, we always work together - some have this, some have that. If someone's heat goes out, or they are snowed out of their road, or have a fire or a wreck, we go out and pick them and their kids up and bring them in where the rest of us have shelter - for a weekend, a week, or however long.

Everyone open-carries and anyone who tries to 'move in on' someone else or steal from them takes their lives into their hands. Folks won't even hunt on another person's property unless they get permission from the owner. Whatever we have, we share with each other; no one, especially the elderly, does without. We trade work for work, food, whatever - one hardly ever sees a wallet or a checkbook out. I traded 100 lbs of beef (steaks, roasts, burger) from our steer and 50 lbs of pork (roasts, hams, bacon, sausage) for hay for the winter.

Country living is better than fighting with strangers over the last gennie at Home Depot, or worrying about who's going to accost you in the WalMart parking lot for your last dollar or bag of groceries. I feel sorry for those who have to constantly worry about protecting what they have, often from people they don't even know.
I would rep you but it won't let me.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:28 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,860,684 times
I apologize in case I missed it - but I did not see if there was anything noted that maybe that was the best spot for the neighbors to build their home on that tract. Just because it's 5 acres doesn't mean all those acres would be allowed for building - there may have been restrictions due to watershed, etc.

Or maybe the new neighbor could have built anywhere on the tract and were just being jerks.

I lived in the Northeast for many years and even in "rural" areas the building/development codes can be very restrictive.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
5 acres is just not enough to really enjoy privacy.
I had 6 and loved it while there were no other homes on the adjoining small acreage lots.
10 years later the lots are all built out, the city limit is across the street and I felt smothered even though I built in the middle of my 6 acre rectangle. Up and sold the place and looked much further into the rural areas.

Now I'm on 45 acres further out in a rural county. Didn't build though, bought an existing home in an established rural community. Sure I can see my neighbors (using binoculars) but I have "elbow room" and thoroughly enjoy it.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 956 times
We are your "bad" neighbors. Same amount of land, on a hill etc. The reason we had to build so close to the property line was that the top of the hill had only one spot to build taking into account distance from escarpment, room for septic and setback from slope. Did not want to build on the bottom of the hill because it is a flood plain and also we bought this land for the view which is not seen from the bottom. Our neighbors were upset too and for the life of me I cannot understand how someone would not expect neighbors to want the same view that they themselves built for.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:16 PM

202 posts, read 473,162 times
I also feel your pain. The problem we have is neighbors junk close to our property lines and also light polution from the "farmer" lights people have on poles here that are on all night and shine into our property.

I guess it is lazyness on their part but I really can't understand why people have so much stuff outside of their homes in the sun and rain. Most things are not meant to be stored out in the elements. I have even known neighbors who are too lazy to pull their cars into their garages even though there was room in their garages.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:42 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,453,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1717Guy View Post
I also feel your pain. The problem we have is neighbors junk close to our property lines and also light polution from the "farmer" lights people have on poles here that are on all night and shine into our property.

I guess it is lazyness on their part but I really can't understand why people have so much stuff outside of their homes in the sun and rain. Most things are not meant to be stored out in the elements. I have even known neighbors who are too lazy to pull their cars into their garages even though there was room in their garages.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Try going to places in VT.... I believe the theory is that their front yard is an extension of the closet space in the house.... Also there is the obligatory Volvo 240 up on blocks in the front yard, with the hood open and weeds/trees growing out of it.
(Not my opinion, just my observations).

Also , the fridge on the front porch along with the car bench seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness