Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,181 times

Advertisements

Someone I know had the same thing happening in their driveway. An ex-boyfriend kept slashing her tires a few weeks apart.

Get the deer camera as others have mentioned, and you can also get a motion detector that chimes inside the house to alert you when someone is around. This is useful if you want to catch them in the act and deal with it or call police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
I would get a very mean BIG dog, think German Shepard, who was very anxious to attack strangers. I would put him on a chain that would reach the rear of the car from his dog house. Problem solved.
The school bus picks up kids at MY mail box. About 20 feet from the car.

Workable idea for some though.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:50 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
We installed a motion detector at the entrance of our driveway that would alarm if anything passed onto our property. Yes, dogs and cats can set it off and that's a nuisance, but it might be another idea. I would imagine it takes the perp a few minutes to do his dirty deed, so it would be enough time for you to get out there and catch a glimpse of him.

If you are friendly with the neighbors across the street and can trust them, maybe they would let you install a camera on their property, pointed toward the rear of your car. ? Then again, they themselves could be the crazy people.

Oh, we also installed a video camera that ran 24/7 and hid it inside a laundry soap box (with a hole cut out for the view finder) that sat near our door. My husband had a crazy ex (seriously, clinically insane) and that's why I know about these things. It really is not hard to hide a camera if you give it some thought. For example, do you have recycle boxes/garbage cans that could be placed near the car and stay there permanently? Because then you could hide the camera between them, for example. We know that our hidden camera worked great because we got footage of her breaking into the house -- yay! that was a fun day in court!

Good luck to you. Please let us know how this story turns out.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,019 times
I have same thing with my tires. It has happened to me 5 times in the last two months. Today I had to get new tires. The guys at Discount Tire says that the way they are wedged in looks as if someone put them there. I don't know how to catch the person doing it. I do suspect someone is doing it at my community college, and I think I know who. What can I do?

Old 11-15-2016, 01:43 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
What is so wonderful about the place you're living now, that you can't move? Seriously. Find a house or condo with a garage. And don't leave a forwarding address.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:00 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny858 View Post
I have same thing with my tires. It has happened to me 5 times in the last two months. Today I had to get new tires. The guys at Discount Tire says that the way they are wedged in looks as if someone put them there. I don't know how to catch the person doing it. I do suspect someone is doing it at my community college, and I think I know who. What can I do?
At a school about all you could do is check under your tires every time you drive. Are there cameras you could park under? Can you park a mile away and hop a bus? Might be possible to put some "go pro" cameras inside the car looking out.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:57 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
I heard of similar doing my working years.

Turned out it was my co-workers wife boyfriend.

( and his wife was in on it )

They were trying to drive the husband crazy.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:28 PM

473 posts, read 502,518 times
These situations are encouraged in some small towns to cities. Nothing is done to the town looney until he does a felony, and usually the homeowner had to use force to protect his family. Could get you discriminated against if you take it on with cops and they start to insist you have a problem....

My suggestions:
1. Is this house situation worth keeping?
2. ARe you on the drive to a construction or trash dump? Maybe someone is running without covers on the dumper garbage haulers? Camera should show you this over a week or so...
3. What about SOLID tires with no air?
4. You could fence in driveway and keep two big dogs. Two dogs are much more aggressive together and hard to confuse. Would not hurt to add motion lights to area either...Fence should go all the way around if you choose this, no doors to house accessible.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:36 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,237 times
I recently had a vandal messing with my shop van which is fenced. I installed surveillance cameras. Waiting to see if they help.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:04 PM

13 posts, read 11,097 times
John,

You need one of the following high-definition camera systems:

Reo-Link RLK4-210WB4 (4 cameras) 429$ (recommended)
Reo-Link RLK4-210WB2 (2 cameras) 299$

I recommend the 4-camera system. Position two of these cameras so that one can view each flank of your vehicle. Place the other cameras to "see" a wider angle on each side. You would have two cameras on the left and two on the right side of your car. The cameras will be mounted close to your house or on your fence and positioned so that you have a wide horizontal coverage area.

Set up the cameras motion-sensitive function and select the area of sensitivity. That is, set up the left camera to motion trigger if anyone is near the left wheel; same but opposite for the right wheel. Set your other two cameras for wide angle operation and on continuous recording... not motion set. Set the two cameras that are motion-sensitive for the wheels to sound the internal alarm when there is motion near the wheels. You can set the sensitivity in a way that will ignore small animals, wind, etc. You can set very specific areas of the camera's view to be triggered upon motion. The DVR can sound an alarm, send you an email, etc. when something has been detected. Hide this DVR inside of your house!

Your "mark" will approach your vehicle near the wheels and will trigger the wheel cameras that are set-up on motion sensitive operation. The wide-angle cameras will record any other approaches or accomplices. You only need to view the video when there is a problem or as recreation. You can view the video and audio remotely via your smart phone, too. This wireless system will NOT hog your wifi internet.

As for night vision; these cameras are absolutely superb. If the crook finds your camera, you will still have the video footage. Have the police department assist you as I do not recommend taking matters into your own hands because the judge may not be as enthusiastic about your due justice as you will have to answer to every spent round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness