Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:02 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,513,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I hope we can keep the discussion on solar flares going.
You and TaylorRothschild are correct; I went way off-topic.

[Clapping both hands over mouth and going to stand in the corner.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 10:06 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
Excellent factual information Gungnir.

Sounds like you have some experience in this field??

Old 02-18-2011, 10:31 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Excellent factual information Gungnir.

Sounds like you have some experience in this field??
No closely related academics though relativity/QM/QFT/ST.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
To which I would counter that the climate data clearly shows a significant positive correlation between global warming and man-made carbon emissions. The current upward trend began at the same time as the Industrial Revolution, and it has increased dramatically since the end of WWII. What happened at the end of WWII? Among other things the American economy, led by industrial output, increased by an order of magnitude. The resulting prosperity meant that the majority of American families could afford to own and operate at least one automobile. As time marched on this figure grew to two, then to three, etc.

Everyone recognizes the fundamental truth in the old saying, "When you find yourself in a hole, the first rule is to stop digging." This probably won't rescue you from the hole, but it will prevent you from getting in any deeper...

Regards as always,

-- Nighteyes
But other disagre with all opinons and they are just that opinions often driven by economis and funding. Once those that expound a theory are foud to be cheating and schemeing it no wander they lose creditablity as we have seen for their agument. That si the price of such behviour as seen i the past also.Bascially the humna cause warming folks need to blame their own scientist.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:55 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,291,785 times
The point for most prepers, is that the possibility of induction related power grid failures are a real possibility.
Having lived thru the So Cal fire storms of 2003 and having had to live for over a week without electrical service. I can tell you that having a portable generator to power the necessities made all the difference.
Every so often, the time we spend thinking thru scenarios like living a week without water or electricity can be a valuable exercise.
Most of us do not realize how dependent we have become on infrastructure, until it fails.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:54 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,755,351 times
We're just hoping for more aurora borealis activity since we have been in such a trough for quite a few years.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:16 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
My problem with global warming is calling it man made.

Solar storms are just gonna do what they do. I recall in the mid 80's there were sun spots and some good aurora's. At the time I heard there were a few problems cause to some limited electronics.

Nothing unusual happened to me. I turned 5 in 56. I survived another storm that one called divorce then too. That was hell for everyone involved.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:02 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The point for most prepers, is that the possibility of induction related power grid failures are a real possibility.
Having lived thru the So Cal fire storms of 2003 and having had to live for over a week without electrical service. I can tell you that having a portable generator to power the necessities made all the difference.
Every so often, the time we spend thinking thru scenarios like living a week without water or electricity can be a valuable exercise.
Most of us do not realize how dependent we have become on infrastructure, until it fails.
Well the point really is that most preppers should be concerned with a widespread failure in the power grid, regardless of cause.

Power failures are far from uncommon, I can't think of a year that went by where I had municipal power that did not fail at least once. If preppers aren't already aware that the power grid might fail then they're not going to be very successful in most other areas too so fixing this one is likely a fools errand.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:46 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,987,291 times
http://www.zurich.com/NR/rdonlyres/E...olarStorms.pdf

Old 02-19-2011, 10:06 AM

166 posts, read 375,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
TR, I don't know that beyond EMP protective measures there is anything one can do to prepare. I mean a solar flare reaches out and damages our atmosphere in such a way as to create a proton storm and what are you going to do but dive underground and pray? You cannot protect crops and livestock in 8 minutes.
Well, honestly I'm thinking more along the lines of electronics being destroyed by EMP. Given minutes / hours / days warning would allow one to maybe add some additional small devices to a faraday cage, swap out fresh water tanks, what have you. I'd love to have even a short notice period before everything went dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You know the worlds been here for millenia (about 650M years), and other than a very few (5) mass extinctions life goes on as normal. That includes change in solar activity and climate changes. Not that I'm downplaying effects of either, but the likelihood of a celestial ELE (extinction level event) in our lifetimes is perhaps 20 or 30 orders of magnitude lower than something we do that will kill you and/or a large number of people.
Excellent points, Gungnir. And I'd agree with your stance 100% if we lived in any period prior to the last 100 years or so. We're now so dependent on delivery of food & supplies, which themselves are dependent on telecommunications, power grid, internet, and even operational vehicles. . .that next time a big one hits, it will most certainly have a larger impact than previous ones. Read One Second After for a realistic scenario of what our society will become following a grid-destroying catastrophe. And we're talking a few days, from 1st world comforts to kill-your-neighbor-for-a-meal scene. Being prepared is both cheap and prudent, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness