Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:03 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times

Advertisements

My gosh! I see little difference between these photos and photos of a bombed out war zone!!

Incredible Before & After Picture Of A Joplin, Missouri Neighborhood: Pics, Videos, Links, News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 11:44 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
I know what you mean. I've seen such devastation before, and it is bone-chilling. This type of thing has happened before, such as The Night of the Killer Tornadoes in 1974, when Xenia Ohio and many other towns in nine states were flattened. I have also seen, first-hand, the aftermath of hurricanes like Camille in 1969. It makes one realize just how puny the creations of Man truly are...

Old 05-25-2011, 09:41 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,958 times
At the risk of sounding crass, for the life of me, I just don’t understand why people live where they do. I’ve always found it laughable at people who complain about the Northeast along the Appalachian mountains, and especially my home state of Pennsylvania because “it’s so cold!, I hate snow!,” and the like. I’ll say this over and over again. I’d rather wear wool long johns, sweaters, and coats while I shovel snow than to pick up the rubble that was once my home.

On the East and Gulf coasts, tornados and hurricanes are all too much for me, and that’s why I choose not to live within 50 miles of the Atlantic, Gulf, and where tornados frequently touchdown. The worst thing that happens where I live is a hurricane dumps torrential rain. As long as one’s not dumb enough to live in a valley along a river, creek, or stream there’s not worry about getting flooded out.

Then there are all the even more dangerous issues along the Rockies and left coast. Avalanches, volcanoes, and earthquakes have to be far worse than natural disasters that happen along the Gulf and East coasts for one simple reason, there is little to no warning of an impending natural occurrence that’s life threatening. As if the three frequent left coast disasters aren’t enough, there are droughts that bring raging forest fires blown by Santa Anna winds.

I think I’ll stay in the Northeast. I’d rather wimp out winter after winter of modest below freezing temperatures and 60 or less inches of annual snowfall than to be the brave soul that wonders where his house used to be.

This is all I need to know about Tornado Alley. It tells me exactly where I do not want to live no matter how nice the weather normally is.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:56 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
There is a thread in the Missouri forum on this. Yes bollio_loco you are crass. This year's tornados in the "alley" and beyond are more than double what is "normal" and the greatest loss of life in one season ever recorded in the USA. You should also note that areas not traditionally part of tornado alley are getting hit.

OP, look into the history of the research Fugita did and you will find his research into the destruction caused by tornados was from research he did in studying explosion forces and debris fields in the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki during WWII. The similarities between a nuclear blast and a tornado, he found, were remarkable. So yes, that EF5 and EF4 tornado paths resemble war zones is a very appropriate comparison.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-2699800071.html

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 05-25-2011 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
At the risk of sounding crass, for the life of me, I just don’t understand why people live where they do.
My husband and I got into a discussion about this tonight after viewing those horrific pictures.

If you've lived in Joplin all your life and all your friends and family are there, along with your job and the home you've poured your blood, sweat, and tears into, and then THIS happens...

If you've survived but family members or friends haven't, if your home and landscaping and cars have been obliterated along with the rest of your neighborhood and most of the town, if your place of employment is similarly no more, if the stores and other businesses you patronized are gone -- how do you weigh the trauma and loss of your way of life and people you loved against the YEARS it's going to take to rebuild and regain any sense of normalcy?

What if you decide to stay and it happens again?

We wondered if Joplin residents were polled about this question, how many would decide to relocate out of Tornado Alley.

I do not fault this poster for his thoughts on this matter. I thought he was simply stating his opinion and did so in a constrained and thoughtful manner.

I, too, could never live in an area that suffers tornadoes and/or hurricanes on an annual basis. At least the overdue Cascadian Subduction Zone earthquake and tsunami we expect SOME DAY here in the Pacific Northwest is not an expected and dreaded annual event.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There is a thread in the Missouri forum on this. Yes bollio_loco you are crass. This year's tornados in the "alley" and beyond are more than double what is "normal" and the greatest loss of life in one season ever recorded in the USA. You should also note that areas not traditionally part of tornado alley are getting hit.
Since we’ve been recording weather for more than 100 years, it’s well known where disasters strike. Moreover, in the past 50 years, it is quite easy to learn exactly where one can expect dangerous life and property threatening weather.

With that said, if a 10.0 earthquake struck NYC or a tornado/hurricane suddenly struck L.A., I’d be very sympathetic to those affected because it’s unheard of. Nobody could possibly foresee such a scenario. The same’s not true for those that live where tornados and other natural disasters frequently strike.

While this year’s tornados may be unprecedented, they are still quite common. If you live where dangerous natural disasters strike, expect things like this to happen.

Additionally, for those that chose to live in areas where disasters strike, it’s a drain on the entire nation due to disaster relief in addition to all the pointless and expensive measures man tries to take in order to keep nature at bay. It would be different if the people in this area chose to live there and they foot the bill on their own, but as always the federal government steps in and throws billions at them so they can clean up and rebuild so it can happen another five, ten or twenty years down the road.

If people choose to live where well known dangerous weather happens, they’re going to suffer the consequences. Even if it’s only once every ten or twenty years, it still happens, it’s been recorded in history, and people should know better than to move into such areas.

This was an inevitability not a tragedy.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Since we’ve been recording weather for more than 100 years, it’s well known where disasters strike. Moreover, in the past 50 years, it is quite easy to learn exactly where one can expect dangerous life and property threatening weather.

With that said, if a 10.0 earthquake struck NYC or a tornado/hurricane suddenly struck L.A., I’d be very sympathetic to those affected because it’s unheard of. Nobody could possibly foresee such a scenario. The same’s not true for those that live where tornados and other natural disasters frequently strike.

While this year’s tornados may be unprecedented, they are still quite common. If you live where dangerous natural disasters strike, expect things like this to happen.

Additionally, for those that chose to live in areas where disasters strike, it’s a drain on the entire nation due to disaster relief in addition to all the pointless and expensive measures man tries to take in order to keep nature at bay. It would be different if the people in this area chose to live there and they foot the bill on their own, but as always the federal government steps in and throws billions at them so they can clean up and rebuild so it can happen another five, ten or twenty years down the road.

If people choose to live where well known dangerous weather happens,
they’re going to suffer the consequences. Even if it’s only once every ten or twenty years, it still happens, it’s been recorded in history, and people should know better than to move into such areas.

This was an inevitability not a tragedy.
There is SOME TYPE of "Dangerous Weather" all over the world.

NO WHERE is safe.

As to tornado... all of the 48 baby...

Same with earthquakes...

JMHO I'd rather an occasional tornado than snow half the year...

Old 05-26-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
There is SOME TYPE of "Dangerous Weather" all over the world.

NO WHERE is safe.

As to tornado... all of the 48 baby...

Same with earthquakes...

JMHO I'd rather an occasional tornado than snow half the year...
Since we’re talking about a state in America, I’ll resign myself to talking only of America.

While there may be dangerous weather no matter where one lives, it’s still a fact that one is far more likely to be killed by dangerous weather if one chooses to live in tornado alley, in states along the Pacific Ocean, and within 50 miles of the East and Gulf coasts.

I’m not going to argue whether or not tornados strike all of the continental states. However, you really do seem to miss the point. When looking at weather statistics, if X state has recorded one tornado in the past 250 years while state XYZ has recorded dozens each year, which state would you be less likely to be affected by tornados in? Hence, some areas of America are quite dangerous to live in while others are very safe in comparison.

If you’d rather live through an occasional tornado than to put up with 6 through 60 inches of snow stretched out over three months, that’s your preference. I don’t have to understand it. However, I wish people like you would have to foot the bill by yourself when tornados pummel your homes rather than having the entire nation foot the bill for you to rebuild a new house and replace all your worldly possessions annually to every five or ten years.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:29 PM

229 posts, read 439,862 times
I have lived in Indiana for 55 years and have never been involved in a tornado. Never had a tornado touch down near where I live. However, if one did, my homeowners insurance is supposed to take care of things like that. That's why I've paid premiums all these years when nothing went wrong.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:19 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Since we’re talking about a state in America, I’ll resign myself to talking only of America.

While there may be dangerous weather no matter where one lives, it’s still a fact that one is far more likely to be killed by dangerous weather if one chooses to live in tornado alley, in states along the Pacific Ocean, and within 50 miles of the East and Gulf coasts.

I’m not going to argue whether or not tornados strike all of the continental states. However, you really do seem to miss the point. When looking at weather statistics, if X state has recorded one tornado in the past 250 years while state XYZ has recorded dozens each year, which state would you be less likely to be affected by tornados in? Hence, some areas of America are quite dangerous to live in while others are very safe in comparison.

If you’d rather live through an occasional tornado than to put up with 6 through 60 inches of snow stretched out over three months, that’s your preference. I don’t have to understand it. However, I wish people like you would have to foot the bill by yourself when tornados pummel your homes rather than having the entire nation foot the bill for you to rebuild a new house and replace all your worldly possessions annually to every five or ten years.

Your grasp of reality is... Well, Nonexistant.

I've spent a fair amount of time tracking tornado at work (We have some EXCELLENT software) over the last couple weeks, the VAST MAJORITY of areas which have sustained damage... well, it hasn't happened before. (Recorded history)
-I'm speaking of the actual 'touchdowns'

YES, there ARE areas where there are (Many) More tornado's then other areas.

Just like there are areas where they have more floods, Wildfires, Crime Rates, Earthquakes etc.

Oh, and as for FEMA's PA and IA (Public and individual assistance)

The North gets it's share... I wish YA'll would stop making the entire nation foot the bill for you, and pay for it yourself:
FEMA: FEMA Public Assistance To New Jersey Tops $19 Million (http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=54568 - broken link)

-That's Public assistance, the Local area is responsible for 12.5%
The State covers 12.5% and FEDS cover 75%.

Individual assistance is ONLY when the POTUS declares it a disaster, and then ONLY goes to those without insurance.

The north gets a bunch, it's just that a tornado makes for better news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness