Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 06:24 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
WOW, MAC, SHE'S GORGEOUS!
How'd you get her to fall for you??
Hee hee! Just kidding abt the second sentence..She is beautiful, though. But shouldn't YOU be the one with the ring in your nose?

Felix, that sort of thing has been tried - a friend of mine tried last year, matter-of-fact. The problem was that too many people thought they should be able to move/live there for free; and overvalued themselves while undervaluing what it took for her and her investors/residents to set it up, buy the land, etc. All it takes is one noodnik, drama queen, or entitlement maven to ruin it for everyone else.

Well as you know I tawk funny which helped before she saw me, then my killer tan in buck skins, and last, a good healthy coating of very real horse sweat. Git's em ever time

I made that ring in her nose to keep out evil spirts. Me: I am a hopeless case and no evil sprits bother me any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 02:53 PM

145 posts, read 176,732 times
Default Storage and Stuff

Today I looked at storage thingies for under my bench seats. That's where all my clothing will go....except the things that will be hung like dry cleaning on the hooks made for that.

I originally pictured those hard plastic storage containers but I was thinking some sort of softer material might be better. One of the bench seats has this lever thing hanging down a little that gets in the way...

I have a feeling I'm going to have to get rid of a LOT of clothes. That's okay though.

I have so much to do before the end of the month but I keep procrastinating.

I SHOULD have a giant yardsale for this houseful of stuff I need to get rid of but although I could use the money, not sure it's worth the hassle....might be easier to just put a FREE sign out and just have people come take what they want.

I have some sad feelings about changing my life like this...I find myself thinking...this is one of the last times I will cook myself bacon and eggs in my kitchen...things like that. Then I remind myself that it's one of the last time I'll have to clean my kitchen...or any other room! That feel rather liberating!

I never minded cleaning much when I had my children at home but doing it for one seems pointless to me.

I tried to start a blog about this but silly Wordpress never sent me the email it's supposed to so I might have to start over or something....what a pain!

Old 08-06-2011, 03:17 PM

I suggest you go to a camp ground over a weekend with a friend that camps, well car camps. That works like you take woodsy stuff a tent and cooler and park yerself in a camp chair to hang out and cook drink and party. Instead of the tent, in your case crash in the van.
One way or another you will need a stove of some sort, sooner than later.

If you don't get used to this little by little then your gonna crash and burn in your own mind.

City dwellers just do when they finally end up knowing they screwed up. That isn't pretty.

On the other hand if you do this before you have to, you will have some basics tools, stove, the fuel for it, water containers, dirty clothes bag, some method to deal with washing up, washing a dish, and a thunder jug.

Never tell a cop you came out of the bushes from peeing. NOT EVER if you do you will get busted for at least indecent exposure, and that's expensive.

You tell the nice officer you hit a mouse with the van, or you think you did, and you just wanted to know if you really killed it or not, or that you play geocaching, anything other than the truth .

Forget the place you are leaving. You are leaving it. Look to the future. There is nothing you can do about the past and dwelling in it to suffer makes no sence and not many will care.

Yeah sell the stuff, anmd what doesn't sell then give for free. You gotta move it somewhere or get it gone. The best way is sell it, th en free, and have less than one t rip to the dump.

Oh you probably don't go to a dump do you? Dumping things in dumpsters can get you busted for theft of services........ That is expensive.

Have you hired a PO Box yet? Made a change of address? There is no such thing as getting away from uncle sam, and if you do it will be on foot, or by boat. If you do that you will never see or hear from family again for years at a time.

At your yard sale / moving sale is what to call it, have a story, what ever that is, so it doesn't appear to be a panic sale. If you have a panic sale don't bother, just put a for free sign on everything you can't take, and pray they take it all.

Your life style is going to change, youy made it that way, like it or not. It will be more work that what ever your current life style is/was.

This will either make you, or break you, and you did it. if it makes you, you end up stronger, if not well you know that answer.

You either learn how to camp out, or you won't, and that won't be pretty either.

Is Aug 31st D day?

Old 08-07-2011, 03:46 PM

191 posts, read 180,883 times
I've lived in a van without a stove for months at a time. It all depends on whether you buy food that needs cooking, eh? I buy fresh produce daily, on the way home from work, a solar powered or propane fridge will keep it for days along with lunchmeat, cheese, etc. If you eat mostly sandwiches and salads, no need of a heat source at all. A can candle will neatly warm up cans of soup, noodles, or Chef boy arD stuff.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:51 PM

any place it's legal to park the van, you can do so. They have no proof that you "live" in it. Just don't park it in one place for more than 1/2 day at a time and don't use the same place too often. The neighbors resent making rent/house/utiltity payments that you don't have to make. transients tend to be theives and nutcases, so there is a reasonable fear of you, too.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:30 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
So who knows that quote?
I'm 34 with no kids and not much family. Got into a little trouble (alcohol related or course) and by the end of the year should be all legally free to roam. Is it insane to have an idea to sell all my worldy junk, buy a van, make it my home and travel the country? I would stay mostly on the west coast so i dont freeze to death, plus I really love it out there but housing is unattainable.
I'm just sick and tired of the conventional life, it's predictable and I can't get ahead no matter what I do. So is this a "crazy" idea? I'm very frugal and have had this dream of doing this for years now. It would be such a simple existence. Thoughts? Opinions?

Didn't read all the replies but wanted to tell you that back when I was in college, I met a guy, classmate, who did something just like this. He didn't travel, he stayed in one area, (although constantly moving his van), but he did, for an entire year, live in his van. He worked, went to school and lived in his van.

A year later, we are back in school for fall quarter. There's the guy again. He was now clean shaven, (and looked even better than before, holy cow he looked fantastic), he had saved up all of his money from that year before, he had purchased a condo and was on the fast track to making something really big with his life.

If you think you can do it, do it. It paid off for my former classmate, it can pay off for you. If you have a girlfriend, (or boyfriend, I'm guessing your gender), try to have one like my former classmate had. She was VERY understanding and no, he did not live at her house, he lived in his van. She was patient, understanding and she was rewarded for it...so if you have one, make sure she can handle it.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:38 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyVan View Post
I SHOULD have a giant yardsale for this houseful of stuff I need to get rid of but although I could use the money, not sure it's worth the hassle....might be easier to just put a FREE sign out and just have people come take what they want.
Highly recommend you stop procrastinating and throw a huge yard sale. Whatever you can't sell, contact Salvation Army or Goodwill and see if they'll take it. If it's not torn, tattered or stained and works, they will.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:42 PM

yep, you can save 10k a year this way, most likely, and put that money to good use, taking a class on a better way to make a living, etc.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
in the 60's and 70's those were called COMMUNES
NOW they are called.... INTENTIONAL COMMUNITIES
do a web search and there are sites that list communities both stateside and overseas that are active. Some sites list communities that are looking for people to join them,as well as some that are trying to get started...can't remember the names as I came across it by accident a few months ago...and naturally didn't write it down for future reference.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
NOW they are called.... INTENTIONAL COMMUNITIES
do a web search and there are sites that list communities both stateside and overseas that are active. Some sites list communities that are looking for people to join them,as well as some that are trying to get started...can't remember the names as I came across it by accident a few months ago...and naturally didn't write it down for future reference.
If you trip over that again. I'ld like a peek at any links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness