Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
So you're telling me no one with old back injuries can find jobs - if they put down the injury on their applications? Or of the job gives health benefits there will be a problem? You're wrong. Only the the back injury will not be covered. If you get diabetes, need surgery for cancer or need a kidney transplant, or break your arm, you will be covered.
I have to agree.
If it's a job with health insurance, obviously you have to disclose health issues. That's part of the application. But if you're just applying for a job, health issues aren't relevant, no matter what the employer might try to say. They have no right to ask. If you are capable of doing the job (able to lift 70 pounds over your head, or what-have-you), that's all that matters.
This has been determined by the Supreme Court, guys...

That said, in a small town, employers already know.
I have a good friend who has been fighting this one. Down with a back injury, subsequent surgery, and a nerve block, no one will hire her because they already know and don't want to deal with it. So there's always a "better qualified candidate" but it's pretty obvious the better candidate simply doesn't have a back injury in their history...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
My brother had a serious injury to his knee, and it was deemed a permanent disability by Work-Comp.

Now the interesting part, as his injury is deemed to be permanent, the employers he has had since the original injury are exempt from liability for his original claim, only his employer at the time of injury had any liability and saw any hit on his premiums.
All his employers since have only been liable for any new injuries.

He is a highly skilled person in his field and while he was laid off and went through 3 other jobs in the last couple years due to the present economy, because of his abilities and skillset he has never been out of work for long.

Of course he has had to take lower paying jobs once or twice, and use a different part of his skills once or twice, but now he has a good permanent job and he still works 40+ hours a week.

The only limiting factor is he cannot do a lot of walking or standing for extended periods. As long as he is working from the seat of an excavator or truck or whatever, no problem.

Past experience has taught me though that there are employers out there who simply don't understand work comp insurance, and don't want to spend the time to learn about it, and will overlook good qualified people because of their own bias or uniformed opinion.

It is a tragidy for the folks caught in that situation and I have a lot of empathy for them.

Good Luck with your situation Mac, I know exactly where you are coming from

Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I have to agree.
If it's a job with health insurance, obviously you have to disclose health issues. That's part of the application. But if you're just applying for a job, health issues aren't relevant, no matter what the employer might try to say. They have no right to ask. If you are capable of doing the job (able to lift 70 pounds over your head, or what-have-you), that's all that matters.
This has been determined by the Supreme Court, guys...
Thank you for this information.

Quote:
That said, in a small town, employers already know.
I have a good friend who has been fighting this one. Down with a back injury, subsequent surgery, and a nerve block, no one will hire her because they already know and don't want to deal with it. So there's always a "better qualified candidate" but it's pretty obvious the better candidate simply doesn't have a back injury in their history...
Living in a small town can make things difficult. She may have to move to a nearby city to find employment. Office jobs don't require strong bodies and great health. She could sit for the 7 or 8 hours she works. Her alternative would be SSD if she can get it, but they don't pay what someone can earn with a good fulltime job. If she has no marketable skills, she's at an even greater disadvantage.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Not only that, employers receive extra pay for hiring minorities.

Sorry. Didn't mean to butt in on your conversation. Just wanted to add that.

Please, carry on with an interesting and very civil discussion. It's a pleasure to read discussion with name-calling and nastiness.
You didn't butt in. This is a discussion board. Thank you for that information. I didn't know they were also getting paid or compensated for hiring minorities.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
There was a time when employers could earn tax credits for hiring the disabled, but I'm pretty sure those days are over. I don't believe there was ever a time when businesses got tax credits for hiring minorities.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
There was a time when employers could earn tax credits for hiring the disabled, but I'm pretty sure those days are over. I don't believe there was ever a time when businesses got tax credits for hiring minorities.
My apologies. You are right. There is a certain target group of citizens the WOTC lists, but minorities aren't one of them.

Quote:
The Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) promotes the hiring of individuals who qualify as members of target groups, by providing a federal tax credit incentive of up to $9,000 for employers who hire them.
Employers - Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC)

Thank you for pointing that out. I stand corrected (and now more fully informed)

Old 12-06-2012, 01:57 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
You're welcome, and I'm glad to see there still is a tax incentive for hiring some (presumably) disabled people.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Well I was crushed in another life time back in 87..... That case of pre existing just makes it so it isn't worth filling out a job ap.

After you do 20 or so, and find you never hear back about any. It is telling.

Before i was hurt it was no problem getting job where a w-2 form was common.. After 87 Not once have i filled out any w-2 because you don't with a 1099.

I can do a little more than create price tags...... But i have some really bad times. The time bomb I am living with allows me to function fairly well for a while and then not at all with out lots of very Fun Pain.

At this point I am now 61.... I have done alright i guess, but that depends on how you measure things or a man.

On my worst days I buck up and drag myself, and go do something even it's wrong. I already did live in the woods for 3 straight years, so telling me I can't just means you don't know me well enough to really know.

My wife and I have been thru many things that would just dead end most other people. To many times to ever recover from...

Some people quit living after deaths of loved ones, others after a divorce, other drink away life or dope it away.. We just don't live like that.

We remain doing our best and while we don't have a whole lot to show for things, we don't care. And instead we help those who we feel we can, and out of pocket. I collect souls

I can't go into detail a lot, but at times and one was after we crashed my bike on a bad road in Pine Ridge, we found alternate lodging for 30 days(most people would just go home). I traded the place for that with 1,000 in Trade Silver, real sterling. I had 3 broken ribs from the crash, and I cut my wife's elbow to the bone, and I did a bang up job on the poor bike too. The trailer the bike had been pulling some how jumped the hitch and that's how we were taken down.

Anyway, there was a woman with kids there, a native having a very bad time as women there tend to do.... But this one was just enough different, that we tried to help and we gave some monies to for first and last months rent and that so far has worked over years of time now. On occasions my wife and that gal talk on the phone, and sometimes a gift will arrive. A proof that things are well.

The very best way to get me to do the impossible with nothing is to tell me I can't.

The point on fixing my back is that I am angry about my back, the state of NH, and the recent election, not to mention the bail out for AIG. The lawyers at AIG had some very insulting words for me once, and so they get BAILED OUT? These lawyers are far worse than I ever was.

I know how this failed system works and most of the time I am fairly glad I have fallen thru the cracks.

Of course everyone who knows of me on CD knows I am conservative and fairly independent, but even there in my past, when I got any help I didn't ever ask for, it was never from liberals. Only others more like me all of a conservative mind set.

This time last year was sort of one of those times too... With out asking almost 1000 in different checks just showed up.

All of these had notes or letters telling me I had saved these people that much and more on a variety of things.. And that they wanted no pay back ever, but that if I could, I should pay it forward.

I don't mind saying that receiving these checks was hard for me to do.

And back to my back. NH elected some very big spenders and so if they want to spend so badly, then let a part of it be on me. I expect to be late to my death bed because i will be working.... I could do more, earn more, and help others better if I was freer to be....

Old 12-06-2012, 05:14 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,238 times
Quote:
That case of pre existing just makes it so it isn't worth filling out a job ap.
Pre-existing? For a job app??
I've filled out a lot of job applications over the years and have never had a single one ask about pre-existing conditions for the job... It's illegal to even ask, unless it is directly connected to the work you'll be doing.

Quote:
bad road in Pine Ridge
lol This is redundant.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:20 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
read back a bit. Skills Sets...

I weld arc mig and gas, Braze and silver solder, I am a x foreign car tech Saab, Volvo, M Benze, BMW, MGB, And on and on , but bending over that way isn't going to happen anymore... But i still know 12 dcv systems and that is how i get these strange checks sometimes because i speak Kawi Nomad MC so well I can tell you what tools and which methods to fix your bike and save dealer costs. I can do that for a lot of other things too.

I do work on small engines at times, but mostly i build new or repair industrial machines because that is where more money is. Some of these look like they were raised from the Bismark when I get them all rusted and terrible looking and way out of spec. When these leave they look new. Some are for medical apps and others are for ergo apps. A lot go to China and we My would be Boss if I wasn't doing 1099's are a 2 man team International being International is his dream not mine.

I also make fire with 2 sticks knapp points from tool stone Flint and chert mainly, and sew mocs, leggins breech clouts shirts weskits, skirts, bodices, frock coats, and balmora hats.. And capot's (Blanket coats) I can make flintlock guns from shop junk too. Knives too

and more and so I just don't want to cut out price tags and ink them.

I am not bragging I am trying to get people to understand.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness