Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:58 AM

829 posts, read 2,955,651 times

Advertisements

I have a few shotguns for home defense. Does anyone have any input on revolvers for home defense? Would like something small I could keep in the family room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 08:38 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Small and best are not always an ideal combination, however there are a number of small frame .38 caliber revolvers, usually 5 shot, that would be suitable. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller. Small .357 caliber revolvers tend to be very tough on your arms and hands. Some say that using anything less would not have sufficient stopping power, but I would disagree. Stopping power is more about shot placement.

My advice would be to go to your local gun range where you can rent a variety of revolvers to practice with, and find one that you are comfortable using. Stay away from ultra cheap stuff. There is some good info in the CCW thread in the hobbies forum here as well. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:19 AM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Ruger SP101 may be a good choice. Fairly small and will shoot .357 mag or .38 Special. I find .357 a bit overkill for my tastes (and fairly small build), but it shoots great with .38 as well. As far as "stopping power" (which boils down to how much of the hit area turns to hamburger and how much hydrostatic jolt it gives), even a well-placed .22 slug is going to put someone down and do the job. And a well-placed .38 slug will more than do the job. You don't need a M61 Vulcan to take someone out.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:25 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
I have a few shotguns for home defense. Does anyone have any input on revolvers for home defense? Would like something small I could keep in the family room.
Consider your walls and what is beyond with any home defense weapon. Will the bullet from a handgun likely pass through? If so, you might want to stick with the shottie. If penetration is not as much of a concern, and you want to get away from a long gun, then, whichever handgun you can shoot the best with consistency.

You need to be able to keep any loaded weapon out of the possible reach/access of unauthorized persons, be they children or adults.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:32 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
My primary home defense weapon is an older .357 Smith & Wesson Model 19 with a Hogue finger-groove grip. I keep it loaded with .38 +P ammunition. I find that its 4-inch barrel and overall size are quite acceptable. For many years the Model 19 was THE duty firearm for law enforcement agencies all over the country.

I own a number of handguns, so I have several choices. I chose this one because its known to me as a good firearm, the frame/grip combo fits my hand perfectly, I can hit a human-sized target without seeing the sights, there are no buttons, levers or switches to fumble with, and my wife can shoot it just as well as I can (possibly better, but don't tell her I said so).

This is what it looks like, though the grips in the pic appear to be Bianchi:

I won't go much smaller than this, due to the recoil and accuracy problems of light-framed 5-shot snub-nose revolvers.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:43 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
My primary home defense weapon is an older .357 Smith & Wesson Model 19 with a Hogue finger-groove grip. I keep it loaded with .38 +P ammunition. I find that its 4-inch barrel and overall size are quite acceptable. For many years the Model 19 was THE duty firearm for law enforcement agencies all over the country.

I own a number of handguns, so I have several choices. I chose this one because its known to me as a good firearm, the frame/grip combo fits my hand perfectly, I can hit a human-sized target without seeing the sights, there are no buttons, levers or switches to fumble with, and my wife can shoot it just as well as I can (possibly better, but don't tell her I said so).

This is what it looks like, though the grips in the pic appear to be Bianchi:

I won't go much smaller than this, due to the recoil and accuracy problems of light-framed 5-shot snub-nose revolvers.
Good choice. Most people don't think about the plunger on the 2.5" snubbies and how they have to be hit at least twice to extract the casings. Such is not the case with the larger revolvers with longer plungers. I always thought the S&W model 19 (pre-lock) had very nice balance to it.

If the OP has other handguns he might consider sticking with the same caliber in a revolver.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:47 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Ruger SP101 may be a good choice. Fairly small and will shoot .357 mag or .38 Special. I find .357 a bit overkill for my tastes (and fairly small build), but it shoots great with .38 as well. As far as "stopping power" (which boils down to how much of the hit area turns to hamburger and how much hydrostatic jolt it gives), even a well-placed .22 slug is going to put someone down and do the job. And a well-placed .38 slug will more than do the job. You don't need a M61 Vulcan to take someone out.
I concur that the SP-101 is an excellent small frame revolver and a great choice for home defense (as a back up for the shotty).

Keep it loaded with Golden Sabres or Hydro-Shoks and a .38 Special will put a whole lotta hurt on a bad guy......

Old 04-14-2011, 01:03 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Keep it loaded with Golden Sabres or Hydro-Shoks and a .38 Special will put a whole lotta hurt on a bad guy......
Yup. Forgot to mention that my .38+P ammo is Hydra-Shok.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:33 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,138 times
.357 revolver is my recommendation for the general public.

I hear that shotguns make the best home defense though.

I'm not saying what I use.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:52 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
I have a few wheel guns, but none are fitting for SD really. With that in mind, one day I bought a semi auto more fitting, and another and another. At this point I am thinking of a wheel gun fit for that service, but any time I get looking it ends with a S&W Model 29 or something else more fitting to meat on the table.

Same deal with shot guns. I can't seem to just buy a shotgun made for SD, and end up with long side by sides, with nice real walnut and nice fitting blue steel barrels.

Right now in time I am in that dilemma myself. I want a pump riot gun, or maybe a short side by side, and waltzing down the gun shop isles I end up looking at the wrong hunting type guns.

I just can't seem to get into black plastic stocks and stainless barrels.

That Ruger Sp 101 is a good solid choice though, as is any S&W in .38/ .357. For just at home a longer barrel makes a lot more sence, but keep it well under 12 inches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness