Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,633,439 times

Advertisements

Well, at least your children's children MUST be

Rise in sea level can't be stopped: scientists | Reuters

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:14 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times
Prepping won't really help you there as if you live on the coast no amount of prepping will stop it while if you live inland you likely won't suffer any direct effects as the process is so slow.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
from the OP's link:
Quote:
"Though sea-level rise cannot be stopped for at least the next several hundred years, with aggressive mitigation it can be slowed down, and this would buy time for adaptation measures to be adopted," the scientists added.
I'm not worried about what happens over the next several hundred years. No reason to prep. for that.

What concerns me is that man is actually arrogant enough to think he can come up with a "cure", which will likely be worse than the original problem.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Prepping won't really help you there as if you live on the coast no amount of prepping will stop it while if you live inland you likely won't suffer any direct effects as the process is so slow.
That's why I said your "children's children"

Old 07-04-2012, 06:45 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,690,790 times
I'm still waiting for Edgar Cayce's prediction to come true so I can have beachfront property.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:01 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,972,397 times
Apx 10,000 years ago the beaches off New England were 400 miles out to sea! OMG!

In the last decade off Mass a Mastadon tooth and a wooly Mamouth tooth both were dredged up by commercial fishermen.

Why those pesky Paleo peoples made camp fires and melted the glaciers! They almost flooded the lands around the world!

That isn't the half of it either! The same things were going on in what would be called England which was a part of what would be western Euro. Man walked to England then, and across the very glacier he melted, which cut the English Channel. Oh Boy when that glacier melted everyone who had walked onto England was stranded!

Since it had been colder, probably a lot colder than most modern man would like, and with 0 oil heat, and not even any 'Natural Gas', no snakes had the chance to cross to Ireland!~

I might suggest anyone who is seriouse about man made global warming , that he stop using POWER of every type there is, and go live under a rock, but more, forget any form of fire you could make with out even tools of so-called modern man! That would mean forget the hand drill, bow drill, and even ice lenses to make fire.

We should stop plowing any fields too as the brown soil attracts solar rays that tend to wearm earth ore than the reflections of grasses and dead fodder, etc etc, and just leave earth in it's natural state and use nothing.

Good Luck with that.

The biggest step will for man to leave ALL Plastics in his greedy past, IF it isn't too late now. That would be a first step of which I might begin to take any of these ideas as serious.

I am currently working on a project for "Greener Plastic" I see it as tottal hog wash.... never the l;ess I need to earn so called money and eat too, so I do it.

This series of machines will smash and bash cocnuts, and the oil rich cocnuts hulls will be granulated to most any size grains anyone could ever want in a very short time. Inaddition oils will be extracted by vacuum ovens, for any current uses and any future uses possible.

Mostly it will make the poor coconut famers have less time for their families and they will be just as poor still!

And the plastic? It will still be plastic, and plastic is not green and never will be green and this is pure hokey bung and moo, and Americans will buy it!

OIL is why and where it's at and there is plenty of oil deep in the ground today! It has been OIL that has created LAW to PREVENT natural products from reaching the markets and once long ago when these did, the world ran on wind power.

Tall ships are one lesson of harnessing wind and the ways they did it were almost with out oil.

Plastics are toxic, but are not warming EARTH.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Yes, people will watch their homes be flooded out and the government will help them rebuild them several more times before they learn it's not smart to build right next to the ocean.

I think some current events prove why people should be at least somewhat prepared. The Western fires for example where you may need to very quickly evacuate and if you have no plan, then you'll find yourself sleeping for days on some cot surrounded by others at some school.

And there is a big electrical outage situation in the East -- people without electricity for days.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Apx 10,000 years ago the beaches off New England were 400 miles out to sea! OMG!

In the last decade off Mass a Mastadon tooth and a wooly Mamouth tooth both were dredged up by commercial fishermen.

Why those pesky Paleo peoples made camp fires and melted the glaciers! They almost flooded the lands around the world!

That isn't the half of it either! The same things were going on in what would be called England which was a part of what would be western Euro. Man walked to England then, and across the very glacier he melted, which cut the English Channel. Oh Boy when that glacier melted everyone who had walked onto England was stranded!

Since it had been colder, probably a lot colder than most modern man would like, and with 0 oil heat, and not even any 'Natural Gas', no snakes had the chance to cross to Ireland!~

I might suggest anyone who is seriouse about man made global warming , that he stop using POWER of every type there is, and go live under a rock, but more, forget any form of fire you could make with out even tools of so-called modern man! That would mean forget the hand drill, bow drill, and even ice lenses to make fire.

We should stop plowing any fields too as the brown soil attracts solar rays that tend to wearm earth ore than the reflections of grasses and dead fodder, etc etc, and just leave earth in it's natural state and use nothing.

Good Luck with that.

The biggest step will for man to leave ALL Plastics in his greedy past, IF it isn't too late now. That would be a first step of which I might begin to take any of these ideas as serious.

I am currently working on a project for "Greener Plastic" I see it as tottal hog wash.... never the l;ess I need to earn so called money and eat too, so I do it.

This series of machines will smash and bash cocnuts, and the oil rich cocnuts hulls will be granulated to most any size grains anyone could ever want in a very short time. Inaddition oils will be extracted by vacuum ovens, for any current uses and any future uses possible.

Mostly it will make the poor coconut famers have less time for their families and they will be just as poor still!

And the plastic? It will still be plastic, and plastic is not green and never will be green and this is pure hokey bung and moo, and Americans will buy it!

OIL is why and where it's at and there is plenty of oil deep in the ground today! It has been OIL that has created LAW to PREVENT natural products from reaching the markets and once long ago when these did, the world ran on wind power.

Tall ships are one lesson of harnessing wind and the ways they did it were almost with out oil.

Plastics are toxic, but are not warming EARTH.
Two words - Dust Bowl. I guess man wasn't responsible for that either...

Extra bonus word: DDT

Moderator cut: Off-topic, argumentative

OD

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 07-06-2012 at 03:53 PM..

Old 07-04-2012, 12:12 PM

25,768 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Just for the record, the climate has been cycling up and down in mean temperatures since the earth was formed. And it will continue to do so until the sun burns itself out, whether we are here or not.

Does man affect the climate? Yeah, I believe he does. But the variation in climate was there before man entered the picture--we're simply making splashes on a lake full of waves. "Climate Change" is not abnormal. It is the norm. Unfortunately, most of our "green" friends don't really get that, or they will not acknowledge it when they go on and on and on and on about climate change. So what? That's the way it's always been. We adapt, just like every other species on the planet has done... or we go extinct like every other species on the planet has done when they have not adapted. That's the way it works.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I'm still waiting for Edgar Cayce's prediction to come true so I can have beachfront property.
You too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness