Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:40 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times

Advertisements

Back issues of Survive, American Survival Guide, Inflation Survival Newsletter (name later changed to Personal Finance), and early back issues of Mother Earth News (presuburbanite) are excellent additions to a survival library. Gun magazines from the Seventies and early Eighties have a great deal of information as well. Early outdoors magazines, e.g. Outers, have a great deal of information but command very high prices. The earlier the publication date, the more likely that there are articles dealing with materials and methods that are practical for individuals.

Don't forget the first five issues of Foxfire. Foxfire 5 is a delight for the student of arms or primitive technology. It's my favorite.

http://www.amazon.com/Foxfire-5-Inc-...5645291&sr=1-5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 07:59 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

Don't forget the first five issues of Foxfire. Foxfire 5 is a delight for the student of arms or primitive technology. It's my favorite.

Amazon.com: Foxfire 5 (9780385143080): Inc. Foxfire Fund, Eliot Wigginton: Books

All the Foxfire books are on my shelves; well-worn and thumbed. They are an invaluable resource to get you thinking about other, simpler ways to do things, and have been one of my resources for over 30 years!

I used to subscribe to Backwoods Home Magazine; it was where I found out about Dexter cattle. Their forum is where I met some good folks who became friends - one was moving from the PNW to GA while we were planning on moving from the South to Nebraska; we swapped ideas and PMs for two years. We both left the forum because it became too political and too un-moderated. I refuse to be friends with a mod so I can say whatever I like... Some of those folks I re-met over here on C-D. I cancelled my subscription to the magazine because they, too, got too suburbanite; and the stories and increasingly too-general, unhelpful advice would only be a page or so, then the mag was cluttered with ads. I realize that a mag has to sell ads, but gee whiz.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:00 AM

941 posts, read 1,804,606 times
Ahhh yes Foxfire. I DO remember that from waaaaay back.
Somewhere in my past after Girl Scouts, hiking, camping etc.. there was a
long stretch of seeing the earth from that newness & natural point of view..
The "how to" season, the "make it yourself" time which I have always held dear to heart. Fast forward to (I've lost count) 6 or 7 buy, fix, flip homes later
and still searching for homestead/bunker heaven.....and have picked up my own encyclopedia of common sense "house knowledge".
Prepping & self sufficiency fine tunes it to the Masters level of order.
This has become my absolute favorite thread OAT (of all time).
The wonders and the great people out there that have hearth minded,
home grown true grit style.. You all give me a smile.. so proud of you.
If we were all in lose proximity..what a great party we'd have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness