Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times

Advertisements

In mid-Atlantic it can feel like half the year is cool, especially if you get cold easily, I guess Maine is closer to the gulf stream but I know Toronto stays considerably cooler year round. I want to visit Maine and Nova Scotia oneday.

I guess the Plains vary a lot, I can't even outline it on a map, it's probably from the rockies into canada upto Indiana and south to Fayetteville AR. Half of that area sounds habitable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 12:03 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,238 times
lol

And yet, ironically, this is where a huge percentage of the beef produced in this country comes from, not to mention corn, wheat, etc, etc.
(Generally, the Great Plains are considered the states that run from North Dakota, down to Texas, and usually include the eastern parts of WY, CO, MT, etc.)

Apparently we're all air-ferns out here.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Good deals?
My first though was, "Youch! That's pricey."

I wouldn't spend more than $500 an acre, personally. And that limit is only as high as it is because of the inflated costs of land these days.
The vast majority of bare land in the Great Plains states can be had for well less than $1000 an acre. So I suppose it comes back to where you want to live.
Not acreage with quality tillable soil or timber East of the Missouri. West River and untillable pasture with scant H2O features, sure, but who wants that?
There is a reason the plains are where military trains for maneuvers. It is land that is difficult to defend.

That said, I wouldn't be looking at land E. of the Mississippi unless it is nearly unpolulated and within 100 miles of the Canadian border. Too much drift from the heavily populated East Coast in a SHTF scenario of prolonged duration. In WV I'd likely steer well clear of anything upwind or downstream of Nitro.

Quote:
lol

And yet, ironically, this is where a huge percentage of the beef produced in this country comes from, not to mention corn, wheat, etc, etc.
(Generally, the Great Plains are considered the states that run from North Dakota, down to Texas, and usually include the eastern parts of WY, CO, MT, etc.)

Apparently we're all air-ferns out here.
An important consideration for the people on the High Plains away from river and pothole country is what happens to those crops should wide scale irrigation from the Ogallala Aquifer become unavailable.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:12 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
.... An important consideration for the people on the High Plains away from river and pothole country is what happens to those crops should wide scale irrigation from the Ogallala Aquifer become unavailable.
With so much of the continent being drought-prone; anyone who settles in a drought-prone region and them relies on an unstable aquifer as their sole source of water is risking a great deal.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:54 PM

Actually, the irony here is that were it not for that wide-scale irrigation out of the Ogallala, the aquifer wouldn't be even remotely unstable...
However, the sudden disappearance of large-scale mono-cropping doesn't mean that the land would be unusable.
Seriously, I think some of you guys have a very limited view of what makes viable land...

Quote:
There is a reason the plains are where military trains for maneuvers. It is land that is difficult to defend.
Nope.
It's because it's sparsely populated.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Quote:
Actually, the irony here is that were it not for that wide-scale irrigation out of the Ogallala, the aquifer wouldn't be even remotely unstable...
However, the sudden disappearance of large-scale mono-cropping doesn't mean that the land would be unusable.
Seriously, I think some of you guys have a very limited view of what makes viable land...

Nope.
It's because it's sparsely populated.
That or we have misconceptions like that movie grey eagle, where i come from people pay for shrubs. Its just different, not to sound assy. Theres a reason the cheapest real estate on the east coast is more and that bigger cities grew on this side of the country. Its also good we have the plains, indians lived there and were always on the move.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:14 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
That or we have misconceptions like that movie grey eagle, where i come from people pay for shrubs. Its just different, not to sound assy. Theres a reason the cheapest real estate on the east coast is more and that bigger cities grew on this side of the country. Its also good we have the plains, indians lived there and were always on the move.
If Asia or Russia had colonized North America first; then our West Coast today would have far more cities and more dense population than the East Coast.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:22 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
With so much of the continent being drought-prone; anyone who settles in a drought-prone region and them relies on an unstable aquifer as their sole source of water is risking a great deal.
Aquifers did not used to be "unstable". They only became unstable when huge cities started tapping into them. If you bought 20+ years ago most of this was a non-issue.

OD

Old 09-12-2012, 07:25 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Yep.

Problem is, all of the economy has been federalized or globalized. Places that should not have the population burden they do - still do because of regions of the country that can (in good years or for a limited duration of time) provide for the ones that cannot.

The solution is not large scale agriculture, it is localized agriculture. That way whatever can be grown in a municipality supports the correct amount of people that can live off that land. Unfortunately, all of this is utopia at this point in time.

OD

Old 09-12-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
indians lived there and were always on the move.

Ummm...no they weren't. Speaking of getting one's info from the movies.
Some tribes were nomadic, but some were farmers and stayed put year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness