Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 08:53 PM

207 posts, read 443,638 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

For all of you who chose your current state as your home (or already lived there), why did you decide on WY or ID instead of other states that some have suggested (like in Skousen's book) - such as parts of WA, UT, etc.? I am especially interested in hearing from those in the areas included in the 'Redoubt' as well as Skousen's top-rated states. Are you happy with your decision? Are things affordable for you there? Do you feel like you are going to freeze to death?

We are considering a couple of states in the mountain west area, but are wanting to make sure we are not too isolated from society in the meantime. Skousen has told stories of those who moved waaaayyy out and unfortunately were not prepared so they had to move back near cities to start over again. Is WY or ID good *until* a major catastrophe as well? Would we be able to not be the extreme of in the city or the extreme of being 100 miles from our nearest neighbor?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, but I would really like to hear from other like-minded people about WHY they chose the state they did and how it is working/not working for them now.

Thanks!

Last edited by movingagain2012; 09-15-2013 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 11:15 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingagain2012 View Post
Hi all,

For all of you who chose your current state as your home (or already lived there), why did you decide on WY or ID instead of other states that some have suggested (like in Skousen's book) - such as parts of WA, UT, etc.? I am especially interested in hearing from those in the areas included in the 'Redoubt' as well as Skousen's top-rated states. Are you happy with your decision? Are things affordable for you there? Do you feel like you are going to freeze to death?

We are considering a couple of states in the mountain west area, but are wanting to make sure we are not too isolated from society in the meantime. Skousen has told stories of those who moved waaaayyy out and unfortunately were not prepared so they had to move back near cities to start over again. Is WY or ID good *until* a major catastrophe as well? Would we be able to not be the extreme of in the city or the extreme of being 100 miles from our nearest neighbor?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, but I would really like to hear from other like-minded people about WHY they chose the state they did and how it is working/not working for them now.

Thanks!
I'm not certain exactly what you are asking (and I don't get down to the Self Sufficiency site very often so take this FWIW) but re: Wyoming and Idaho :

Both states: plenty of game and fish, adequate amounts of fresh water with few large industries to contaminate, trees for shelter and heat (both states are region specific in that regard), ample firearms for self-protection and hunting, mountains - lots of mountains for..........hunting, trapping, wood, shelter, disappearing. Plenty of self sufficient people who have skills of all kinds to share. Both states have good size towns and all provide easy access to the mountains/forests/rivers.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:07 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
If I had to choose a locale strictly for survival, until Fukushima started dumping tons of radioactive waste into the Pacific and specifically the Japanese current, I'd have said SE AK or NW BC Canada for the bounteous and readily available seafood and easy to get along with but wet weather. It's also not very accessible so there would not be too much migration in the way of refugees should that happen.

We chose treed rolling hill territory in farming country for it's regional bounty, fertile soil, reasonable water situation, food growing/processing skills of the people in the area, long growing seasons. Alternate energy by virtue of many sunny days is also a plus. It's hard to feel vulnerable at least for the basics there especially with water storage systems. Also the inborn friendliness of the locals makes it a real plus.

We looked at areas in the states mentioned but water is an issue in much of the area and the short growing season was discouraging.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:54 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingagain2012 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks!

Upper Midwest.....
Winter may deter some.
Small towns many of which are equipped to supply their own power and water for quite awhile after an event.
Usually surrounded by farms with many large scale hog, dairy, beef and chicken operations ...
lots of like minded people
Family

Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 AM

154 posts, read 309,934 times
We have the book and we are moving to idaho west of the Rockies because its warmer

Old 10-04-2013, 03:22 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,367 times
Have you been to Wyoming or Idaho ?
I chose Wyoming because it is awesome! I have never put myself into a situation where I thought I would freeze to death...yet. Just have to be prepaired for the cold at all times.
You do not have to be out in the middle of nowhere either. Lots of small towns with good folks who will band together when they need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness