Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 01:08 PM

42 posts, read 79,642 times

Advertisements

I Have traveled across the U.S. a handful of times and what I have noticed is many places the government owns land and I mean large huge portions, in many states upwards of almost 60% of that states land???? I spoke to a couple truck drivers going from California to They Wouldn't Say; with large loads of MRE's on one, the other had apparently explosive ordinance as his truck was labeled as such and his roof was mounted w/ a huge Satellite GPS tracker device linked to security companies/contractors that get to the drivers position if he has any unscheduled stops longer than 5-10mins. One of them noticed I guess the way I was dressed and looked as I have no distinguishing marks or tats (for a reason) and he asked about me being prior service I told him I was, apparently as he was.Well he asked me off the wall question R you ready?, I said whahhh? he repeated R you ready, prepared, still trained I figured he was trying to kick off a confrontation until the 2nd driver began to clarify his remarks, giving me advice on what kind of things to stock up on etc..... I semi caught on and said oh you mean the end of the world, aliens, planet x, so forth, they chuckled and said no it's a little closer to home. The initial driver goes for a coffee refill while the other starts to go deeper into some things they've seen and stuff they shipped, aircraft, weapons, food, lots and lots of food, cattle, he says all the drivers used to joke about it until they themselves realized something more was awry. He goes on to tell me about he bought into everything hook line and sinker he said truths and the way far out stuff as well after a singular event connected the dots for him, he stated there was a pay discrepancy he said they are paid weekly which is apparently rare from how he sounded, but he got freaked out when he had a pay issue w/ a weeks pay being 3x's over what is should've been, he said he tried to first figure it out if it was a higher rate etc etc and eventually went to the company that contracted his services and the office or building was empty, he was hired via email and webcast interview, so he called the 800 # and the rep on the phone said they'd just moved offices, and he inquired about going to the new location to discuss the issues and correct pay rate, the rep informs him they don't do in house visits due to the co's that do business with them have strict privacy policies and they could handle everything via phone email and even webcast, he informs her that he wasn't comfortable doing so cause some topics may be covered under the non disclosure he signed and he didn't wanna go to jail over misspeaking, which makes sense to me always CYA, the rep told him to give her the general premis of the issue he said well I was over paid think like 3 - 4 x's what I should've been paid, I didn't want to have you guys just coming back once contract is up and like oh yeah you owe us 10K for overpayment etc.. The rep informs him once she looked up his trip manifest and mileage, and she lets go of a Freudian slip and says oh yeah you were inadvertently out loud, and he stated as quick the words left her mouth she realized the slip and locks back in and says No Sir Everything Looks Good On Our End, he of course now doesn't trust her and figures she's being lazy etc, and he would rather straighten it out now vs down the road when he may not have the money.The rep then in a jovial voice says just count it as an early Christmas bonus if he wants, or a special thank you from us for all the hard work you've put in which peaked his interest even further. He continued to press her she ultimately gets a bit put off and says the company will waive their right to recoup any over payments for entirety of his contract, he says that was the first time in my life since when I first went to boot camp that I became scared, then before he can get the next words out his mouth, he says she stated exactly the question he was about to ask next, she would be sending him a letter w/ the particulars and place one in his personnel file, he says it was in his email box before ever getting off the phone, he goes I wasn't going to debate it any further, also it as well had a disclosure statement in it. He recalls thinking what's top secret about my pay history, He says the weirdest thing about the entire interaction wasn't the lack of an office (as he's had employers co's that contract him in past operate out of their home, RV, their own Semi as they were drivers as well so , but his current employer actually had a building and an entire address listed and the building he went to was 5 stories and vacant top to bottom w/ blacked out windows) this wasn't even the oddest part of things, nor was it they just gave him this huge pay day in excess of, and this is me guessing, in excess of $20K. The most gut wrenching goose bump having hair on end feeling, I laughed cause he was bald, he got was the manner and how she thanked him for helping US we don't want anyone going hungry or thirsty, he says that perked him up becoming more attentive, followed by a phrase or sentencing he's only ever heard in the military CUMSHAW I hope I spelled that correctly, and then making the final comment, apparently having another Freudian slip saying this stuff needs to be at it's destination Toot Sweet cause this has become time Sensitive, and if their warehouse's and shipments aren't all made in time they will have to deep six everything. I immediately said that sounds like the way I recall Naval Intelligence Officers on comm's with us. He was a former retired Navy CB and had previously worked in Iraq & Afghanistan driving there, he says money was so good to him it was worth his life or limbs (He's Divorced w/ older Daughter), the other driver who went and got a cup, and he did come back during the majority of the talk he was a former Sgt in the Marines actually stationed on the same installation I was at the same time for about a year as well.I asked them if they actually believe this and have seen or proof of this why not go public, or quit, they each sharply responded that we need money to protect and provide for our families and stock pile goods as well. Both stated they were never into all this stuff before getting their current jobs, but since many drivers have gotten together on the DL and bought land and begun to prepare, they wouldn't go into particulars, which I guess is prepping 101! So I'm asking you Americans why are we letting this stuff go down? Are you preparing? They shared a few other things w/ me insight I guess, but I was already of the mind that things would get worse here in U.S. before getting better and that if our Economy actually tanked and store shelves became empty the public would first turn on one another then come together collectively and be to much for those pulling the puppet strings to actually defend against except for one way, and from what the drivers said that's why they've got the underground tunnels which was the first I heard of "Underground Tunnels". Since I began first making a detailed plan and starting this coming month will begin to put those plans into action, cause I am one of those that doesn't get caught w/ his pants down.What have you all heard, I'm actually thinking about leaving the U.S. all together and heading for a place culturally friendly to Americans and has an easy transition for expats, because I couldn't stand by and watch Americans die I'd be one of the first to be killed for standing up, I just couldn't believe that other Americans would do this to their own country men and woman, but I guess we have other countries and cultures to look at for examples. Have Americans become that brainwashed or mentally dead as I've called it for years? You guys take would be great

Last edited by CGR22; 10-29-2013 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 01:24 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
I didn't read the entire post but my gut feeling is the government should keep tabs on you so we don't have to point fingers on how we let this one slip through when you go postal.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:29 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Fascinating.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:00 PM

Before anyone complains I even went back and spaced out the paragraphs to make it easier read and wont take! sorry

Old 10-29-2013, 02:09 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
The guys you talked to don't sound credible.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:55 PM

Sorry everyone here's a cleaned up version, shortened some and done on word to try and space apart apropriately, again sorry!

Old 10-30-2013, 06:06 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,307 times
It took a lot of effort to read your post. I still don't understand the point of it.

What's a place that is friendly to Americans and has an easy expat transition? Western Europe is closed off to us unless you have a solid job offer (need education for that). That leaves "south of the border" - there are a few places that are much nicer than here such as Costa Rica, Chile, maybe Argentina but they are not cheap, since they have been discovered by Americans and western europeans the price of land and housing has skyrocketed there. Then you also need to speak the language and for the most part you would stick out like a sore in some small village. If SHTF there you would be a target numero uno.

Australia has a huge outback but they are closed to you immigrating unless, again, you are educated and have a solid job offer and a company willing to go through the process. Same with Canada. All in all, most of the remaining developed world is closed to us for immigration purposes, unless you have s*tloads of money in which case you can immigrate via "investor visa"s - the richer the country, the more money you have to invest in a business in it to be granted resident status.

Most of the expat blogs you read about online are from people who a) moved to a place with a Western salary (living like kings) or b) had their own money to become "investors" or could show guaranteed income. I think a place like Costa Rica asks you to show two years of a stead income stream such as social security or bond income or whatever. However, this is a paper requirement, you will still have to have real money to live there, buy land, build a house etc...

I have read a bunch of "gringa in Chile" and "gringo in Argentina" type of blogs that make these places look beautiful and easy. However, what they don't usually say is that the gringa is married to some dude who works or worked for Goldman Sachs or something and has saved multi-millions, now they are out sampling wine and the local foods and travelling to all the "rustic" places and tellin' you about it...

Old 10-30-2013, 08:17 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I couldn't make it through your post. A lot of stuff is transported by truck and by rail, so it really doesn't mean anything. Most shipments are time sensitive or just in time shipping, so, again, that means nothing. Is anyone really surprised that the gov't ships sensitive stuff and tracks its movement? Some of those trucks are followed by guys with automatic weapons.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGR22 View Post
Before anyone complains I even went back and spaced out the paragraphs to make it easier read and wont take! sorry
The system was having major issues yesterday, so that was not your fault.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:52 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
What's a place that is friendly to Americans and has an easy expat transition? Western Europe is closed off to us unless you have a solid job offer (need education for that). That leaves "south of the border" - there are a few places that are much nicer than here such as CoI have read a bunch of "gringa in Chile" and "gringo in Argentina" type of blogs that make these places look beautiful and easy. However, what they don't usually say is that the gringa is married to some dude who works or worked for Goldman Sachs or something and has saved multi-millions, now they are out sampling wine and the local foods and travelling to all the "rustic" places and tellin' you about it...
It doesn't take a huge income to live comfortably in many South American countries. Gaining residency can be like pulling teeth in some countries, but not all. Seriously, you do not have to be a millionaire. For instance, last I checked (a few months ago), Uruguay requires proof of a $650 per month regular income. That's hardly Goldman Sachs wages. And the thing is, if you're not firmly engrained in our consumer society ethic, that is a perfectly livable wage in Uruguay outside of the tourist traps. Again, if we're talking modesty, not gluttony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness