Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:39 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,307 times

Advertisements

WebMD Pockets Millions to Promote Drugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
There are great ways to make money on the internet without or seldom leaving home. When I see this sort of story I always try to see how it could apply to me. However, I would not take any sort of government contract.

People who wish to be free of the cities with their cocommitant loss of freeedom must always seek viable means building income. Internet businesses represent a far better option than backbreaking labor in the summer and enforced inactivity in the winter, or even worse, working for wages.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There are great ways to make money on the internet without or seldom leaving home. When I see this sort of story I always try to see how it could apply to me. However, I would not take any sort of government contract.

People who wish to be free of the cities with their cocommitant loss of freeedom must always seek viable means building income. Internet businesses represent a far better option than backbreaking labor in the summer and enforced inactivity in the winter, or even worse, working for wages.
My post was more to alert people on this forum who don't have medical insurance and use the internet to diagnose themselves (I don't but I suspect some people do). If you do so, beware of who you use and what their motivations are, sometimes they are not obviously selling you something but....

Old 12-10-2013, 06:46 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Has anybody noticed how much advertising is now on the internet? It wasn't anywhere near as bad, just a few years ago. We got rid of TV a few years back, due to - among other things - the advertising. Now I dislike doing much online, and would get rid of the computer also, except for DW.

I'm sick of looking at screens, and being treated like a "consumer". I am much more than a "consumer", and I'd rather look at the REAL world with my own two eyes, instead of staring into a screen!

Old 12-10-2013, 06:53 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Has anybody noticed how much advertising is now on the internet? It wasn't anywhere near as bad, just a few years ago. We got rid of TV a few years back, due to - among other things - the advertising. Now I dislike doing much online, and would get rid of the computer also, except for DW.

I'm sick of looking at screens, and being treated like a "consumer". I am much more than a "consumer", and I'd rather look at the REAL world with my own two eyes, instead of staring into a screen!
It drives me nuts. And half the time those scripted, animated adds freeze my computer. Very annoying. Yeah, my computer is old and slow. I don't really need a fast computer (primarily use it to write, some digital art, and once in a while a simple web page design in HTML), and I certainly am not going to buy a fast computer so I can watch scripted adds.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yeah, my computer is old and slow.
Let me guess - just like you?

Old 12-10-2013, 08:23 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,238 times
Were there actually those who didn't know this?

It's just the tech version of going to the doctor's office and seeing it plastered with script pads, posters, thermometers, etc,etc. emblazoned with drug logos.
Or giving birth in a hospital and being handed a new-mom bag that contains samples of formula, "just in case."

You think HCPs just have this stuff? They are PAID to promote these pharmaceuticals, whether it be via actual prescription or just product placement.
It's advertising, pure and simple.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:37 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Let me guess - just like you?
Getting old... but not slow. Well, okay, I'm a firm believer in "living slow" and early to bed early to rise, etc... but physically/mentally, nope. I'd put myself up against myself at 25.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Getting old... but not slow. Well, okay, I'm a firm believer in "living slow" and early to bed early to rise, etc... but physically/mentally, nope. I'd put myself up against myself at 25.
That MAY not say much about you when you were 25. Sorry, you walked into this one...

Old 12-10-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Were there actually those who didn't know this?

It's just the tech version of going to the doctor's office and seeing it plastered with script pads, posters, thermometers, etc,etc. emblazoned with drug logos.
Or giving birth in a hospital and being handed a new-mom bag that contains samples of formula, "just in case."

You think HCPs just have this stuff? They are PAID to promote these pharmaceuticals, whether it be via actual prescription or just product placement.
It's advertising, pure and simple.
Call me naive but it does NOT say on their website that the above is how they are making their money. I think it is pretty dishonest and misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness