Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:48 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solovino1 View Post
Present an argument. Just saying no, uh uh, is just denial.
Ok:

"I talked (privately, so no agenda) with oil company geologists who pulled out charts and studdies and such I couldn't even follow and told me so."

It's their business to know, and they are the ones doing the studies.

It's more like: " those who say otherwise are doing it off of nothing, and just saying so, uh uh, is just denial!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 10:21 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
My conclusion on Peak Oil is that we aren't gonna run out in my lifetime, but the cost of fuel will only go up over time... probably to the point where I just can't afford to drive like I'm used to anymore... or eat.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:00 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
The price of fuel keeps going up because of inflation, not that you're getting gouged or anything like that. Oil exploration, refining, marketing is very labor and technology intensive and that costs money. Yes, old timers like me will tell you that you used to be able to buy a gallon of gas for 30 cents. That's true. But that is when oil was easy to get to. Now its much more difficult. Even that being said, in 1980 I was paying 1.25 for gas. If you adjust for inflation, today's price is just about the same. If you further adjust for the better gas mileage most vehicles get, you're cost per mile of driving hasn't really changed much in the last 35. I wouldn't worry this issue too much. They seem to keep finding more oil all the time. I don't think its going to run out soon.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When you insult the Dems like that, they will become upset.

It happens.
Well....sorry. But I have had it with Democrat friends that have NO SCIENCE background!! Then they spout nonsense like....we can put a man on the moon.

We can't put a man on the moon. We cannot even put a man into orbit these days.

Oh wait, YES, WE CAN.

We write a check on zero funds to the Russians.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:40 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Peak oil has never been reached nor will it be reached.

With the Keystone XL comes on line (it will, never fear, environazis notwithstanding) the US can be energy indepenedent

Old 02-24-2014, 07:31 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

With the Keystone XL comes on line (it will, never fear, environazis notwithstanding) the US can be energy indepenedent
You do realize that the Keystone Pipeline runs up to Canada?

Old 02-24-2014, 10:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Wouldnt those wanting to be self sufficient and prepared want to be setting up their lifestyle in such a way as to be moving away from being dependent on oil? seems to me in any kind of major social upheaval in the American way of life oil/gasoline would be the first thing you'll have trouble getting..

Old 02-24-2014, 10:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

You really think the Keystone pipeline is going to make the US energy independent? One more pipeline wont make much of a dent in Americas 25 million barrels a day need for fossil fuels, heres a view of current pipelines.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hy9vPzrbYY..._+all_pipe.jpg
I wonder if the logic of using less gas instead of building more pipelines will occur to any one.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:28 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wouldnt those wanting to be self sufficient and prepared want to be setting up their lifestyle in such a way as to be moving away from being dependent on oil? seems to me in any kind of major social upheaval in the American way of life oil/gasoline would be the first thing you'll have trouble getting..
Self sufficient people would probably want to live with the least amount of dependence upon oil products. Most preppers would just want an alternative for the necessities, if it comes to that, but still be ok with a lifestyle where oil is a key component for economic and lifestyle reasons.

After a major social upheaval, I'd probably have a very difficult time getting dark chocolate covered pecans; however, I'm not going to give them up now just because I might not be able to get them is a disaster struck.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The OP is one dumb, uneducated, uninformed piece of misinformation, no doubt gleaned from some left wing web site. I LIVE in the oil area of west Texas. They are punching new holes all over the place, and some very deep ones. Why? Because there is a lot of oil down there. The Permian basin, as of this day is now pumping more oil per day than it ever has in its entire history. Oil companies are not idiots. They are drilling and pumping like mad because they are making big money fast. Yes the new deeper wells are more expensive. But the oil flow is so high that the pay out is quick. I heard of one one well that cost 9 million dollars that paid for itself in 9 months. A recent new well was reporting a flow rate of 3,000 barrels a day. For those of you that can't do the math, that's close to $300,000 a day. There are people out here making big money drilling, exploring and finding a whole lot of oil. If they aren't finding any oil, then why are we dropping our importation of oil by a million barrels every year for the past 7 years.
There's a lot of misinformation here, but, except for the gratuitous political slam, it isn't the OP. You bet they're punching holes all over West Texas. They have to, to keep production up. Shale oil wells need to be constantly drilled because they produce up to 60 percent of their total lifetime production in the first year, unlike the bell curve of traditional oil wells. After that they tail off rapidly. After four-five years they're barely at stripper well status. To keep the investment money flowing and the production numbers up, the oil companies have to keep drilling or they start losing ground very rapidly. When the drill rig count in the Bakken Field dipped last year, oil production followed suit almost immediately.

As for why U.S. oil import are dropping, two major reasons: First and smallest, the slight uptick in domestic production due to fracking. Second and larger, the significant decline in consumption caused by rising mpg in the car fleet and declining miles driven due to the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness