Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 09:13 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm not a fan of either Sargent or Dreiser. However, I'll post a couple of interesting art books, one from the Art Institute, the other from the Met.

I consider myself fortunate to have visited the George F. Harding Museum several times before its treasures were locked away in the basement of the Art Institute. The demise of the Harding Museum was a sad, sad, sad event.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a much newer book written by a better author. However, I can unreservedly recommend both.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll post another book from the Met. One of the happiest days that I ever spent was viewing a traveling exhibition of theirs at the Denver Art Museum. Those who are interested in the mechanics should purchase the second item as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Art-Eu...70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Crossbow...ords=crossbows

Not a fan, necessarily. I posted about them because they are relevant to 1880.

I do have a strong appreciation for Impressionism though, by any artist. Sargent was one of the American artists who studied in Paris and brought Impressionism here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Great videos. I would love to own a Model T.

It's too bad that some startup car maker can't build something as simple as the Model T (perhaps even with a lot of the exact design elements and the "look" of the Model T), yet have the advantage of modern machining, efficiency, and design on the mechanical components--simple like the Model T, without all the electronic garbage and creature comforts that are built into new autos. In many ways, the Model T is closer to the modern ATV than it is the modern auto.

Watching the first video was fascinating. But it also reminded me that if I could snap my fingers, I'd go back to before the auto and in a small town or rural setting rather than a city like SF. That chaos as in the video would drive me nuts. Of course, it's chaotic now, but a bit more orderly. Pedestrians beware in 1906 SF!
Much too chaotic for me too.

Quote:
And as is always the case with videos like the SF video... I loved the look of the ladies with the fancy dresses and hats--my favorite era for women's and maybe even men's fashions/attire (1880 to about 1915).
Belle Epoque Paris! All fashion from those years originated there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 02:20 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Default Pocket Watches

These are interesting and, in the case of railroad watches, critical items in the railroad industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPlVrEgkUZw

Here's more from this interesting gentleman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2XyGqfixFk

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 10-09-2018 at 02:31 PM..

Old 10-19-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Great videos. I would love to own a Model T.

It's too bad that some startup car maker can't build something as simple as the Model T (perhaps even with a lot of the exact design elements and the "look" of the Model T), yet have the advantage of modern machining, efficiency, and design on the mechanical components--simple like the Model T, without all the electronic garbage and creature comforts that are built into new autos. In many ways, the Model T is closer to the modern ATV than it is the modern auto.
The modern ATV is like early cars in its simplicity. I've seen one is Cody that has license plates, but I believe that they are prohibited on state highways. Government regulations make it impossible to build and market these vehicles as automobiles today. I use an ATV to travel around my property when i have too much to carry. My range is a fair distance from my house; carrying guns, ammo, and equipment without transportation would be a nightmare. Using the ATV the ATV on the highway would be frightening—and probably suicidal.

When Ford introduced the Cortina in 1962 there were several articles comparing it to the Model A. The Cortina was very popular in the UK and the continent, but there were few here. We did, however, have the original American compact cars including the Corvair. None of these cars would be legal to be manufactured today. For my part, I'd take a Cadillac made from the mid-sixties until 1975, the last year of cars without catalytic converters.

Quote:
Watching the first video was fascinating. But it also reminded me that if I could snap my fingers, I'd go back to before the auto and in a small town or rural setting rather than a city like SF. That chaos as in the video would drive me nuts. Of course, it's chaotic now, but a bit more orderly. Pedestrians beware in 1906 SF!
I saw no chaos. I saw a dynamic society.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:01 PM

Default The Baker Electric

Electric cars are nothing new. Let's look at an early example. The subject begins at 3:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhnjMdzGusc

Old 12-25-2018, 04:17 PM

Here's a pleasant getaway when 1880 seems too modern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ZDFxhY7aQ

Old 01-22-2019, 03:34 PM

397 posts, read 319,588 times
Life and laws in 1880 were in many ways preferable to what we have now. My biggest gripe with the time was the wide-scale discrimination against basically anyone who wasn't a white gentile male. And believe me, I'm no social justice warrior, but there was some serious discrimination going on back then. It wasn't just microaggressions.

I've thought about this a fair amount over the years and have come to the conclusion that there's no time I'd rather live in than now, for all the shortcomings we have. That's life, it will always be hard. Altogether I think we have it easier now than any other people in history. Technology is amazing and I'd like to think our best days are ahead of us...

Old 01-23-2019, 05:55 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
I intend to have a mid 18th century lifestyle, pre the British industrial revolution, "when the balloon goes up". so somewhere pre 1750.

Last edited by bigpaul; 01-23-2019 at 06:19 AM..

Old 02-08-2019, 08:13 PM

People were tough in the nineteenth century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0-5RMOBjcs

Old 02-09-2019, 02:30 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
I picked the mid 18th Century because there were less population in the UK then, about one eighth of what it is now, no tarmac roads just dirt tracks, and life was centered on the local area. people didn't move around as much, just the local market.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I picked the mid 18th Century because there were less population in the UK then, about one eighth of what it is now, no tarmac roads just dirt tracks, and life was centered on the local area. people didn't move around as much, just the local market.
Everything was urban. The great universities were centuries old; scholarship flourished, but only in select places. The Industrial Revolution was an egg about to hatch. Only trade had developed significantly. The great country estates of Great Britain relied on cities, but communication was primitive so it was necessary to spend a great amount of time in large cities which were hotbeds of crime and disease. The good times wouldn't begin for another fifty years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Revolution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness