Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 07:37 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,677,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the problem with what you are saying, is that the CD says keep 2 weeks worth of food, water and other supplies, ready.gov says keep a minimum of 72 hours of food and other supplies, and homeland security says that anyone that has more food than 3 days worth in their home could be a potential terrorist.
wish the feds would get together and let the rest know what they are putting out.
Got a reference for that claim about DHS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 07:54 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,016,446 times
Quote:
read HIW response, it hold true in Wyoming. when I lived in Wisconsin, all I had to do to use the library computer was say I was a resident of the county. they even issued children library cards. hard to have a kid produce an ID when they are only 9-10 years of age.
Wait a minute, that is NOT what you said.

Quote:
nope, not needed, just have to prove residency in crook county Wyoming.
You said "you" had to prove residency. That's what got us questioning your position on your privacy.

If you’re now backtracking to cover your mistake because someone else didn't have to prove it, we can accept that you now want to pretend you really didn’t provide your identity. At least it wasn’t as bad as those idiots in Wyoming who went and asked their government officials about setting up a shooting range in their property. Those fools made several list and they wonder how did government get their name. Now that was the sign of a true fool who was just playing survivalist/prepper.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:03 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

You said "you" had to prove residency. That's what got us questioning your position on your privacy.

If you’re now backtracking to cover your mistake because someone else didn't have to prove it, we can accept that you now want to pretend you really didn’t provide your identity. At least it wasn’t as bad as those idiots in Wyoming who went and asked their government officials about setting up a shooting range in their property. Those fools made several list and they wonder how did government get their name. Now that was the sign of a true fool who was just playing survivalist/prepper.

I wanted a range on my property in Wyoming, all I did was look it up at the state website and build it from there. have a nice 800 yard range.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:53 AM

632 posts, read 854,054 times
Well, duh! The current government could not have made more transparent their belief that if you are prepping that makes you just half a step from becoming some sort of domestic terrorist.

Good Morning to all of you fine folks in Langley, Virginia!

Old 07-02-2014, 11:31 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattusbabe View Post
I am kind of new to prepping. Losing power for several days over the winter will make you get religion fast. I have learned a lot from reading various sites and YouTube. I have noticed that most of what I am seeing out there is circa 2010 to 12 and then things fall off. Whats up?
Has everyone said all that they have to say or is it something else?
I made a similar statement over in the Green Living forum. People were all excited about leaving the cities or graduating from college, buying farms, and growing organic products. Living off the grid. They have quickly discovered that their style of off the grid living is being done on a regular basis by farmers. Yes, it is called farming. I know there are a ton of spin terms but it is farming. Those city folk have found country living to be a little bit more difficult than expected. Their products aren't selling or others are undercutting their prices or their land isn't producing. The truth is the majority of small farm owners have real jobs outside of the homestead. The city folk believed these grandiose promises of rural utopia. Now reality has hit.

The other issue is all the new information is recycled. For example, Old Mother Earth News magazines carry almost every trend that has been pushed in the last 10 years. This isn't new stuff.

The boom to the homesteading/prepping phase was between 2008-2012. Have the preppers gone to ground? No. They have been around the whole time but there is a large group of people who got caught up in the wave and realized the lifestyle isn't what they want.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:51 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,895,215 times
Another observation - many of the farmer's markets are decreasing in size or closing up.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:56 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I made a similar statement over in the Green Living forum. People were all excited about leaving the cities or graduating from college, buying farms, and growing organic products. Living off the grid. They have quickly discovered that their style of off the grid living is being done on a regular basis by farmers. Yes, it is called farming. I know there are a ton of spin terms but it is farming. Those city folk have found country living to be a little bit more difficult than expected. Their products aren't selling or others are undercutting their prices or their land isn't producing. The truth is the majority of small farm owners have real jobs outside of the homestead. The city folk believed these grandiose promises of rural utopia. Now reality has hit.

The other issue is all the new information is recycled. For example, Old Mother Earth News magazines carry almost every trend that has been pushed in the last 10 years. This isn't new stuff.

The boom to the homesteading/prepping phase was between 2008-2012. Have the preppers gone to ground? No. They have been around the whole time but there is a large group of people who got caught up in the wave and realized the lifestyle isn't what they want.
Mhm.

Let's dispel this myth that country/rural people all farm. They don't. Not even a simple majority of them farms.

The problem with the "farmers" today is mostly that they are not green. They are mechanized, burn through fossil fuels at an alarming rate, owe a ton of money to the banks, are largely monocroppers (all eggs in one basket) and they all douse their products in nasty chemicals galore. They are basically indentured servants caught between Monsanto, John Deere and the bank.

That's VERY different from the small 5-10 acre organic farm that composts, grows varieties of veggies and fruits, has bees, is into solar or wind energy, runs their old diesel truck on vegetable oil and lives in the small straw-bale house. 99% of your rural "farmers" do none of those.

They do one thing well though: get in debt.

Most of the land around me is capable of feeding the families that own it and then some. My immediate neighbor has 70 acres that support two horses and a donkey and there are three families living on this land - all buy their groceries at the store in the nearby town.

My 5+ acre "farm" is all organic, I compost and spread the manure from our two horses around, built almost everything ourselves, fencing, home stuff, solar, so on and so on. This year my organically grown tomatoes and peppers had a bumper crop - I have been feeding most of my neighbors who have more land than me with these tomatoes. Just finished a hoop and in it my first zucchini is coming in, so is chard. I have some watermelons and the okra looks like it will have a bumper crop too.

I am on my way up - next project is to deer-fence the property so I can grow anything, anywhere (we initially put in basic fencing around the whole property but that is not enough for the deer so I grow in small plots that are fenced themselves for now but that's getting old ). Mind you, about 2 acres of our 5.2 acres we fenced and cross-fenced for our two manure producers - the horses. By the time I am done with the 3 acres, I will be making enough food to feed at least 3 families in season. Oh yeah, I also keep bees.

I just convinced my neighbor to sell me an acre at below-market price. That acre will be farmed too - I will probably plant olive trees on it. The next acre I buy from the same neighbor will be planted in grapes. So on and so on. One acre at a time....

The funny thing is, with my ****ty 5 acres I need to have 6 beehives to get an ag exemption. All my neighbors with the 70 acres have to do is feed the deer and they get a wildlife exemption. It's not like the deer are getting extinct around here, quite to the contrary. The bees on the other hand?

Some of the bigger land lots here have cattle on them. Not that anyone works it horseback like God intended . The cattle just sits here for - you guessed it - another tax exemption.

Anyways, please stop perpetuating this myth of rural people farming. The vast majority do not and the ones that do are definitely not "green".

Now, I do think that Mother Earth News and a myriad of other magazines and books are just great vehicles for the authors to make good money regurgitating the same BS over and over again. However, I will take that any time over the mainstream "American dream" of being an economic slave, commuting to the office and back every day, waiting for the corrupt government to enforce the watered down, crooked laws made by their corporate overlords. Our food supply is tainted, our water supply also, people are getting poorer, jobs are disappearing to foreign lands and the military industrial complex is doing what any other complex would have done in its shoes - beefing up its capabilities to spy on the hungry and increasingly dissatisfied population so that unrest can be identified ahead of time and be dealt with quickly.

But you cannot beat laws of physics: life is getting increasingly more difficult, jobs are disappearing, not everyone can be a salesman (how many middlemen can a product price take between China and the retail store in the States before its price becomes too inflated for anyone here to afford?), medical system is 3rd world quality, people are getting raped by medical providers, insurance companies, the tax man, so on and so on. In a situation like that, I will take my ****ty 5 acres with food I make on them. I would encourage everyone else to think about all this and make up their own minds. Going back to the land is the ONLY choice, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by LordyLordy; 07-02-2014 at 07:04 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 10:44 PM

934 posts, read 1,129,438 times
If and when I visit a prepping website, the main activity seems to come from the extremists. The Survivalist forum basically poo poos the idea of 72 hour preparedness. Well, for them, I suppose it seems silly, but I don't think it's a mistake to have enough for 72 hours. Mostly they point to most recent disasters being more than 72 hours in need. But that's the giant catastrophes. I'm sure that they are not posting any success stories for 72 hours. I think that's about what I have myself. Pretty basic.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Got a reference for that claim about DHS?

sorry, 7 days of food, not 3. still a small amount.

Activist Post: 10 Ridiculous Things That Make You a Terror Suspect

Old 07-02-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

prove, show a local address on a utility bill, but no government ID required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness