Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:31 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,847,142 times

Advertisements

https://hbr.org/2014/12/what-happens...eplace-workers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 09:54 AM

12,113 posts, read 23,354,282 times
No, it does not. There are plenty of things robots cannot do. If you have a job that can be replaced by a robot, you might want to look into advancing your education/career training. Someone is going to have to repair the robots that will take over unskilled and semi-skilled labor.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:39 PM

3,126 posts, read 2,085,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
I almost didn't click on this thread because of the nondescript title, and then to find only a link in your post was disappointing. Were you at a loss for words?

I share the author's concerns about what society will look like if Moore's law continues to hold as it has for more than 50 years. Specifically, my goal is to insulate myself from what I think are ill effects. My lifestyle is uncomplicated (think along the lines of the 1880 lifestyle thread), but I want to be prepared to effortlessly navigate this other world. Just in case uncomplicated becomes complicated due to circumstances beyond my control.

Thoughts?

Old 12-22-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
No, it does not. There are plenty of things robots cannot do. If you have a job that can be replaced by a robot, you might want to look into advancing your education/career training. Someone is going to have to repair the robots that will take over unskilled and semi-skilled labor.
Robots can self-assemble, repair and even clone themselves. This is in rudimentary stages but soon will be more advanced due to exponential growth in technology.

Robot repairman? I am not so sure. What you study today could be obsolete within 1.5 years or less, and again the next year and so on. Possibly, the need could be eliminated entirely. Machines could replace 80% of what doctors do. Lawyers too. Reporters are being replaced by machines. Some news organizations are publishing computer generated sports stories. We are already seeing journalists reduced to nothing more than pot-stirrers. Robots have replaced some soldiers and others.

My point is that the future, even the near future, is a crapshoot for those who need employment. We are in uncharted territory and rushing full speed ahead.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I almost didn't click on this thread because of the nondescript title, and then to find only a link in your post was disappointing. Were you at a loss for words?

I share the author's concerns about what society will look like if Moore's law continues to hold as it has for more than 50 years. Specifically, my goal is to insulate myself from what I think are ill effects. My lifestyle is uncomplicated (think along the lines of the 1880 lifestyle thread), but I want to be prepared to effortlessly navigate this other world. Just in case uncomplicated becomes complicated due to circumstances beyond my control.

Thoughts?
I was not at a loss of words per se but was just curious to see what others think. I guess my biggest message would be not to be afraid of natural disasters but of what is coming - a society when many people will not be able to make a living. What that will translate into will be riots at best and who knows what at worst.

You are right to insulate yourself from all of this. Insulating means to me no debt, grow your own food, make your own energy, do not depend on a job you have today etc.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Sure - 'cause working on advanced electronics on the micro scale with complicated software is what most of Americans will be able to "re-train" into. Sure, you could have re-trained someone who made cotton t-shirts into someone who could transcribe medical data or use an ultrasound to make a film that a doctor can see. But training someone to repair robots? Nah...

Old 12-22-2014, 09:19 PM

12,113 posts, read 23,354,282 times
Quote:
Sure - 'cause working on advanced electronics on the micro scale with complicated software is what most of Americans will be able to "re-train" into. Sure, you could have re-trained someone who made cotton t-shirts into someone who could transcribe medical data or use an ultrasound to make a film that a doctor can see. But training someone to repair robots? Nah...
Some will be able to, some won't. A lack of formal education does not mean an inability to learn. Most of the men on my mother's side of the family didn't graduate high school, but they could build your house from the ground up, and wire and plumb it. If you don't want opinions, don't ask for them.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,009,245 times
The same thing that happened when the backhoe replaced a crew with shovels. They either adopt to run the backhoe or some other equipment. Others will be flipping burgers until they are replaced at cheaper price. Plain and simple truth.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
I was not at a loss of words per se but was just curious to see what others think. I guess my biggest message would be not to be afraid of natural disasters but of what is coming - a society when many people will not be able to make a living. What that will translate into will be riots at best and who knows what at worst.
There's that (hordes of citizens of zero economic value), because we are running out of things that people can do better than machines. But honestly, I am just as concerned with what society will be like with that much technology. I hesitate to use the word dystopia but, there, I said it.

Quote:
You are right to insulate yourself from all of this. Insulating means to me no debt, grow your own food, make your own energy, do not depend on a job you have today etc.
I have done these things. It works fine for now but i wonder how feasible this will be by 2020 or 2030, in the the technological dystopia, assuming I am around that long.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Some will be able to, some won't. A lack of formal education does not mean an inability to learn. Most of the men on my mother's side of the family didn't graduate high school, but they could build your house from the ground up, and wire and plumb it. If you don't want opinions, don't ask for them.
Lack of formal education is already an impediment for millions today. Robots are not like cars, they are advanced electronics and software. Most people who "tinker" with cars today tinker with older cars that were easy to fix or take apart. Today's cars require special equipment that's expensive, not to mention they have computers in them that have special programming. Now scale that up to robots that are "semi intelligent".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness