Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:20 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,606,441 times

Advertisements

OK lets say SHTF tomorrow...are any of you lot any where near prepared ? or are you just talking about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 12:11 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
OK lets say SHTF tomorrow...are any of you lot any where near prepared ? or are you just talking about it?
Define SHTF and I will tell you if I am prepared

Old 02-18-2015, 12:15 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,757,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Define SHTF and I will tell you if I am prepared
^That^

What kind of fan hitting are we talking about here?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:25 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
Quote:
Anything less than the Yellowstone Caldura blowing up, and I'm in pretty good shape

I'm not a "prepper" per se, but I live a pretty self suffiecent lifestyle so it wouldn't make a huge difference to the way I normally live, except I probably wouldn't be posting on the internet about it

I already live a long way from population centers, so zombie riots are not an issue. Long way from the ocean, so tidal waves are no concern.
Don't get hurricanes or tornadoes here, and while we do get earthquakes, they usually aren't large.

Wildfires are a big concern here, but as long as you plan and have a defensable space built, that is managable.

If there's a EMP event, I also have a 1967 vehicle so it wouldn't even notice. I can make my own fuel, I have draft horses and oxen as well as old equipment for plowing and harvesting with them.
Plenty of wood for heat, lots of good water coming out of the mountains.

I blacksmith so I can repair or make just about anything I need.
I have all the archery tackle and trapping equipment I could need for hunting and fishing, and lots of empty spaces with large wildlife populations.

Yeah, I think I'm in pretty good shape.

How about you?

Old 02-18-2015, 01:06 PM

85 posts, read 103,839 times
Quote:
Ok, so tomorrow is SHTF Day? Thanks for the advanced warning. Not prepared, not talking about it, and not worried about it.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:52 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,407,067 times
If SHTF tomorrow, I think I need milk. Where I am screwed is on that Amazon order I placed today. It probably won't come, even with 2-day shipping.

Otherwise, I'm in pretty decent shape.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:54 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,983 times
Quote:
Cheeky Brit, ain't ya? Maybe you can start by telling us all how YOU are ready for whatever feces you envision dripping from the fan. I am only 42, but I have lived that long by what I know and can do. Tomorrow will be no different. I suspect that, in all reality, what finally gets me will not be zombies or EMP, but more likely cancer or a farm accident, or perhaps old age, if I am so lucky. Around here, we prepare for the most likely feces first, and move on to the rest once we have that covered.

So do tell this lot how you intend to get by, say if the Russians get ambitious and invade merry old England. Or that sizeable group of Moslems you folks have there get frisky and start lopping off heads. Or the Atlantic Conveyor Belt shuts off and leaves y'all in the freezer. Pick your poison, how will you handle it?

Old 02-18-2015, 05:54 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
What makes you think that what constitutes poop flying all over Cornwall would constitute poop flying all over the US?

I'll start worrying when the Buffalo Bills win the Super Bowl, which would be a sure sign that Hell has frozen over. And then it won't matter because I'll die happy.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:10 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,606,441 times
yeah, kinda replies I expected ranging from the "I'm all right" to "it'll never happen" brigade.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:57 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,407,067 times
Quote:
yeah, kinda replies I expected ranging from the "I'm all right" to "it'll never happen" brigade.
And what kind of replies did you expect? And if you were expecting them, you already had your answer so posting this thread was a moot point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness