Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 10:09 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
yes, unless one of the innumerable street gangs is now running things in which case you might have been better of staying where you were, anyway whatever you do I wish you the best of luck.
But the experts had declared a 99% die off...

So really I'll only have to deal with 80,000 street gang members.

Looks like it's going to be peanut butter and crickets for 48 months, here's hoping the leather in my disco holds up and the pipes in my 5th ave crib don't burst in the meantime.

Worrying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 10:14 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
just you and 80,000 gang bangers, huh? hope you got plenty of pea nut butter and crickets!!
and I thought I had a problem with 15-20 other "possible" survivors!!!(that's if its 95-97% mortality rates, if its 99% like you said its only 5 so that's not a problem at all!)

Last edited by bigpaul; 10-13-2015 at 10:24 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
just you and 80,000 gang bangers, huh? hope you got plenty of pea nut butter and crickets!!
and I thought I had a problem with 15-20 other "possible" survivors!!!(that's if its 95-97% mortality rates, if its 99% like you said its only 5 so that's not a problem at all!)
Well I'm hoping that if I give it another 36 months over my original plan I can get those numbers around 20k miscreants.

Might have to watch Escape From NY a few more times to get ready.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
when it comes to population density, the higher populated areas are going to experience the most crime, the highest likelihood of an epidemic and the most social unrest, there will be a higher death toll in these higher populated areas because of lack of resources and sanitation.the best place to be for survival is away from such areas, the further away one is the better chance of survival one has.
Grid rats firmly believe that people can only exist in an urban environment. That's likely true for anyone who would dream of moving to NYC either now or after a disaster. They'll never get to that point, however; they'll die in government camps.

I don't forecast the extreme die off that you do because there are plenty of smaller towns and cities along with rural areas where deaths would be minimal. I see race war or small nuclear devices as threats only for cities, primarily on the east coast in this country. Both the US and Great Britain can become livable again after the undesirables die.

Nationwide martial law is impossible here. The primary use of the military is supporting the various interests of Israel wherever they may be and whatever they may be.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Grid rats firmly believe that people can only exist in an urban environment. That's likely true for anyone who would dream of moving to NYC either now or after a disaster. They'll never get to that point, however; they'll die in government camps.

I don't forecast the extreme die off that you do because there are plenty of smaller towns and cities along with rural areas where deaths would be minimal. I see race war or small nuclear devices as threats only for cities, primarily on the east coast in this country. Both the US and Great Britain can become livable again after the undesirables die.

Nationwide martial law is impossible here. The primary use of the military is supporting the various interests of Israel wherever they may be and whatever they may be.
I know what you mean HIW.
I forecast the extreme die off in Britain because most of the population are urbanised, 85% of the population live in cities or large urban centres and are 4 generations removed from the land.
our military and police don't have the numbers to enforce a nationwide crackdown and will limit their/any activities to our larger eastern and northern cities.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I know what you mean HIW.
I forecast the extreme die off in Britain because most of the population are urbanised, 85% of the population live in cities or large urban centres and are 4 generations removed from the land.
our military and police don't have the numbers to enforce a nationwide crackdown and will limit their/any activities to our larger eastern and northern cities.
I think you are making some drastic overestimations of the security that your rural location provides and some drastic underestimations of the abilities and tenacity of your fellow humans.

For instance, the UK is about the same size as Wyoming. With a decent pack I could meander across your country in way less than two weeks.

So unless you are herding sheep on Hirta I think your goose is cooked already.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
I think you are making some drastic overestimations of the security that your rural location provides and some drastic underestimations of the abilities and tenacity of your fellow humans.

For instance, the UK is about the same size as Wyoming. With a decent pack I could meander across your country in way less than two weeks.

So unless you are herding sheep on Hirta I think your goose is cooked already.
then you know nothing about Britain, the landscape or the people,, the "golden horde" is a fantasy beloved of American fiction writers, anyone becoming a REFUGEE and just wandering about HOPING to find food, water and shelter wont last long, unlike some I do not base survival on reruns of "mad max" or "Rambo". I suggest you read the piece on Survivalblog written by Patrice Lewis on so called "bugging out", pretty much says it all.
i'm certainly not going to take advise from someone who thinks he can live on peanut butter and crickets whilst trying to evade 80,000 gang members!!!

Old 10-14-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
then you know nothing about Britain, the landscape or the people,, the "golden horde" is a fantasy beloved of American fiction writers, anyone becoming a REFUGEE and just wandering about HOPING to find food, water and shelter wont last long, unlike some I do not base survival on reruns of "mad max" or "Rambo". I suggest you read the piece on Survivalblog written by Patrice Lewis on so called "bugging out", pretty much says it all.
i'm certainly not going to take advise from someone who thinks he can live on peanut butter and crickets whilst trying to evade 80,000 gang members!!!
I'll admit I know more of the English people than I do of the terrain of all of the UK. I have spent probably collectively 30 or so days there over the years, so enlighten me.

Golden Horde? As in the term used for Mongol/Tartar invaders in middle school history?

I'll take a look at the Patrice Lewis blog but I will ask you if you have done much in the way of backpacking?
I have. Let me tell you, I'm not young but with a well put together pack I can still cover a fair distance on some difficult terrain.

Crickets, peanutbutter and the King of Manhattan is all farce. My point to a degree was that population centers became population centers for a reason...and that to a greater degree those reasons still remain.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:20 AM

OK I read the Patrice Lewis piece called "bugging out".

I think she wrote it to make herself feel better.

If 5% of London were to successfully evacuate that would be 400,000 people on the move.

Heck if 1% of London's police decided to band together you would have 300 officers on the move. Tell me they could't go where ever they took a fancy to.

I think you'll be better off on an island.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:53 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
I would simply get off the prairie and head for the mountains.
Why the mountains?
first off, more wood for heat and cooking, maybe even some coal if I get to the right area.
Second, more game to hunt. Game is necessary for fat to render to make candles, for hides, for meat, and for tools (bone and antler) I will have to work on my archery skills, of course, to conserve ammunition.
Actually, it is all wool-gathering. I am too old for that kind of living!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness