Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:42 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,495,820 times

Advertisements

For some strange reason, even among guys with power tools, the angle grinder seems to be one of the last tools added to the bag. That is a shame, as a basic 4-1/2" angle grinder (lots of them under $100) enables you to cut, grind, sand, shape, polish, remove rust and paint - and dozens of other things - on wood, metal, fiberglass, ceramics, and masonry. My old Makita is about worn out, but it has done so much for me.

Like most tools, the angle grinder has a lot of neat attachments that enable you to accomplish just about any task. Likely it will come with a grinding disk in the box, but to get the best use out of the tool, there are cutting blades, flap disks and drums for sanding, wire wheels and cups, and even a chain cutter. Sort of a tool-junky's paradise! If you are not yet familiar with this tool, take a look at this introductory video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DygL-9bCHN8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 03:19 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,589,919 times
I bought a cheap 4 incher a couple months ago for $24. May not have the heavy armature or power of some of the good brands, but it works and it was cheap, and I don't cry as much if I break it.

Really handy tool for prepping steel or grinding welds

Old 02-04-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

Really handy tool for prepping steel or grinding welds
Yes, this tool was inspired by your thread on welding. You pretty much need the grinder if you want to make clean and smooth welds! With my own grinder mostly worn out, I figure to get another Makita. First one lasted me 20+ years; next one will be inherited!

Old 02-04-2016, 04:43 PM

I wanted a grinder that would outlast me when I was working in the trade, so I bought a DeWalt 9", that thing is amazing!
I've had it for over 20 years now, still good as new even using it with masonry blades, cutters, wire brushes and grinding. It's a fabulous tool.

But for small jobs, a light throwaway works pretty good. I go through a lot of tools because of the work I do, so if it's something I want to keep for a long time it's usually Milwaukee or Porta-Cable, DeWalt is a good alternative, but if it's something I know will be trashed, cheap works and I go through those light 4-4 1/2 inch grinders in a hurry because I always grab them for convenience even when it's a job that I should use my big 9 inch grinder on.
My father and brother swear by Makita, and the grinders they have work fine for them.

I have one of the old 1/2 chuck Craftsmen drills with the aluminum case I bought at a yard sale, and that thing is bulletproof! I can't believe the power it has. My grandfather had one and he told me back then that they were dangerous because they had so much torque you could break a wrist if you weren't careful, (I was about 11 at the time and I believe it probably could have broken my wrist at that young age), and the aluminum case was an electrical shock hazard, but I think it's worth the risk for what I can do with that tool. Love it, and haven't found anything better even though it's got to be plugged into a wall, and the Milwaukee 1/2 inch chuck cordless roto hammer I bought last summer is fantastic, I like that big old Craftsman in my shop.

Good tools make a job a whole lot easier.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:26 PM

You know, I have a whole set of AC power tools made by Craftsman, that I bought back in the 70s--drill, router, circular saw, jigsaw, belt sander. They all still work great. Metal housings, heavy-duty motors...you can't kill them. So many guys turn their noses up at Craftsman, but if they could see the quality of the tools from that vintage, I think they'd be amazed, too!

These, plus Craftsman sockets and wrenches, were the backbone of my first workshop back when I was just a cub. Had to save and save to get those. It has proven to be a good investment, 40 years later.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:31 PM

Yep. I still have the Craftsman tools my Grandfather gave me when I was still a kid in 1979, (wrenches, sockets),and they still work great!

I could never afford snap on, but those older Craftsman tools set the standard I judge other tools by.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:

I could never afford snap on....
You know me -- I wouldn't spend the money for Snap on's! Why bother? My Craftsman's have never let me down! A lot of that stuff is just snobbery and vanity. Let the hot-shots pay out that kind of money!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:44 PM

I know some guys that haunt yard sales looking for broken Craftsman or Snap-on tools. They buy them for basically nothing, and send them back to the company, and the company honors the lifetime warranty and sends them new tools, no questions.

That's a pretty good guarantee

Old 02-05-2016, 12:23 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,959,307 times
I have four or five. One is battery operated, I use it mainly as a cut off saw for plumbing or cutting locks. Bad guys use this type to cut open your Home Depot safe in about 5 minutes BTW.

When welding I keep three plugged into a pigtail. One with a wire brush, one with a grinding wheel and one with a cut off blade. Then I have a big full size Milwalkee that is like 40 years old and going strong - for when I need to get serious.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,088,087 times
Quote:
I bought a cheap 4 incher a couple months ago for $24. May not have the heavy armature or power of some of the good brands, but it works and it was cheap, and I don't cry as much if I break it.

You have to be careful with those cheap tools, sometimes they are worth it and other times not. I bought a really cheap one once because we forgot the grinder, think I paid $15 for it. Lasted a grand total of ten minutes, I didn't even get a chance to scratch it. LOL.

I've bought two of these and they have worked well.

4-1/2 In. Angle Grinder with Paddle Switch

First one breaking was kind of my fault, cutting disc got bound up and tightened it really hard. I ended up breaking the locking mechanism getting it untightened. Might have been able to fix it but for $30 new wasn't worth it especially since I used it on numerous occasions.

If you are looking for a good grinder look at the Metabo brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness