Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 03:20 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I understand that. the feds confiscated the gold. coin collectors gold was supposedly exempt. also at $20 an ounce or so, $100 is not much gold.
Yep, I was agreeing with you. Your grandmother didn't make up what she told you. Others may be reading something else into what you stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 04:41 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Default Just because a legend of past abuse sounds good and justifies fears of future government abuse, does not make it true

Funny how monkeywrenching's story morphs over time.
Quote:
be careful about the safety deposit box. my dad told me that when slug fdr outlawed the holding of gold, the feds and banks made sure anytime a safety box was opened, that someone was there to make sure there was no gold inside of it. if gold was inside of the box, it was exchanged for paper money.
Then days later...
Quote:
strange thing, when my dad told me that nice little story, my grandmother was living with us at the time, I thought that dad was telling a lie, lo and behold, grandma said about the same thing, only that it was a bank official that had to be present when it was opened. it was her and grandpas safe deposit box.
So are we in agreement that EO6102 did not result in the Feds ordering all safe deposit boxes sealed and only opened in the presence of Federal (IRS) agents? And you agree that the popular hoax text of EO6102 is just that, a hoax (written in 2006), and the original EO6102 does not mention safe deposit boxes at all?

Old 02-13-2016, 05:36 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Can anyone rebrief us all on buying gold & silver? How much can you own? Where to buy, best? Not a shady website. How much to put into what form currency? Leave any cash at all in banks? Need this info for sure as many do here I feel too, as w/ econ going again it seems, So all ideas are MOST welcome.

Too much internet website's sales/propaganda -- & as such -- is too risky.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:11 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Post Retirement funds should be invested, not socked away as dollars/gold/silver/lead/etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Can anyone rebrief us all on buying gold & silver? How much can you own? Where to buy, best? Not a shady website. How much to put into what form currency? Leave any cash at all in banks? Need this info for sure as many do here I feel too, as w/ econ going again it seems, So all ideas are MOST welcome.
This is still America, you can own all the gold and silver you can afford; if you're talking about large amounts, you might not want to take physical possession of it, just for logistics reasons.

Neither owning gold/silver nor owning US Dollars is really that great a use of your retirement money. A little bit of each is fine as a hedge, but there are tons of better choices, assuming society is unlikely to collapse into to a mad max scenario before you hit retirement age.

Start here, adjust over time:
  • 50% in US stocks
  • 24% foreign stocks
  • 25% bonds
  • 1% Cash (or gold, if it makes you sleep better at night)

Old 02-13-2016, 06:44 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
This is still America, you can own all the gold and silver you can afford; if you're talking about large amounts, you might not want to take physical possession of it, just for logistics reasons.

Neither owning gold/silver nor owning US Dollars is really that great a use of your retirement money. A little bit of each is fine as a hedge, but there are tons of better choices, assuming society is unlikely to collapse into to a mad max scenario before you hit retirement age.

Start here, adjust over time:
  • 50% in US stocks
  • 24% foreign stocks
  • 25% bonds
  • 1% Cash (or gold, if it makes you sleep better at night)
99% in US socks, foreign stocks, and bonds is a horrible place to "Start".

Old 02-13-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
99% in US socks, foreign stocks, and bonds is a horrible place to "Start".
I agree, cow.

Try to get buillion not paper monopoly $. I think gold is best, but silver is soo low & it'l be slower to return $, but far less bipolar than gold. Silver is steady or stable -- not like gold's flipflop daily. Most want gold but just see how it goes daily on gold kilo prices & do the math? lol

Old 02-13-2016, 08:59 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
You can own as much of it as you can afford.

One of the best places to buy both is on ebay, from highly-ranked coin dealers like MCM. I have done a lot of dealing on ebay from private sellers as well as pro's, and always had good results. Ebay polices its site pretty well, and the prices are better than local dealers and pawn shops.

No matter how much somebody recommends an asset class, if you're not comfortable with it, don't buy it. If you do buy the metals, always take delivery of the physical, and do not store it in bank safe deposit.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:09 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
If you're in Arizona, go pan for some. Basic techniques aren't hard to learn, basic geology, Arizona had a lot of gold mines in the past.

Prospecting can be a lot of fun, and cheaper than buying processed rounds.

You can even make your own rounds and ingots. Gold has a low melting point, so you don't need a huge specialized crucible to do it.
If you want, you can join a prospector club. Many of them have access to claims you can work, and people to teach you what to do.

Best of all, there's no record that you have it!

Old 02-14-2016, 01:59 PM

Hey thanks both of you!

Nor, as usual invaluable.

MTSil, v helpful but -- can't I leave AZ yet? Hahaha...

Old 02-16-2016, 09:07 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times
My mother (born in 1922), told me about hearing her parents talk about the 'bank holiday' that was declared.

Bank Holiday of 1933 - A detailed essay on an important event in the history of the Federal Reserve.

That's why they always kept a little cash at home.

Like I said before, after Katrina, stores opened for cash only. People who had correct change went to the front of the line, or were sent to a special line. Stores needed their change. A lot of people had $20.00s or larger! It took a while for everything to get back to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness