Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 07:56 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times

Advertisements

These publications have the required information for a practical start. The first four are American; the fifth is Swiss. Keep in mind, however, that they only represent a beginning.

https://smile.amazon.com/Unconventio...arfare+devices

https://smile.amazon.com/31-201-1-UN...m+incendiaries

https://smile.amazon.com/Improvised-...ised+munitions

https://smile.amazon.com/Boobytraps-...g=UTF8&qid=&sr=

https://smile.amazon.com/Total-Resis...tal+resistance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 03:37 PM

66 posts, read 80,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Important to have not just guns...but the right guns
.223 Sniper rifle that has a group the size of a golf ball at 100yds
12 ga. Mossburg 500 with a group the size of a garage door at 75 yds
.223 Ruger mini 14 with multiple 30 round clips
Several semi auto hand guns.....including little North American pocket gun.
Right tool for the right job.
Able to defend yourself from any distance with accuracy or overwhelming fire power

Golfball? If my rifles can't keep 5 rounds under 1/2" at 100 yards I'm getting rid of them....

Old 06-25-2016, 06:16 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,620,222 times
I'm late to party but if you're not well armed period -- how in hell can you even begin to stand your ground when, not if, SHTF?

Yea, ok like throw stones, whip out a 50 yr old BB gun, maybe a pea shooter or -- better yet -- a straw to use as we did in high school lunch tables (like again, 100 yrs ago in grade school).

Come on folks common sense (like back in grade school yelling at the nun ain't a good idea) would be prudent here, no? LOL

Ok, looney I am, yes, but point be -- unarmed is awaiting bad news bears, umm more than that I'm for sure, please get your heads out of the sand folks, hehee, uh... like yesterday.

You know I like this thread, kinda..

Patrick Henry said it best... You know the rest... hahaa.

PS - I expect yoo, my man crazy (j/k) Nor, to hop aboard & echo my sentiments, eh?

Old 06-25-2016, 07:26 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
These publications have the required information for a practical start. The first four are American; the fifth is Swiss. Keep in mind, however, that they only represent a beginning.

https://smile.amazon.com/Unconventio...arfare+devices

https://smile.amazon.com/31-201-1-UN...m+incendiaries

https://smile.amazon.com/Improvised-...ised+munitions

https://smile.amazon.com/Boobytraps-...g=UTF8&qid=&sr=

https://smile.amazon.com/Total-Resis...tal+resistance

The problem with most of these books is that you can no longer buy most of the chemicals needed.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:26 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times
Quote:
I've always been perplexed by those on this forum who talk about storing food and water, having emergency heating and lighting equipment, and in general keep what it takes to continue a relatively normal life in the face of disaster, but they have no guns. Security and defense have always been paramount for humans. Archaeologists discovered a lock four thousand years old near the ancient city of Nineveh. So many weapons have been found dating back tens of thousands of years or longer that they would be impossible to enumerate. We have developed many of our practices genetically as some closely related species share our use of weaponry, e.g., chimpanzees. It has always been normal to have arms and to practice using them.

Yet there are surprising number of people who won't own weaponry. These people can observe that human society is competitive to the point of violence whenever it's evident that there are only enough supplies for some, not all to survive. Are these people so indoctrinated that their reasoning ability has been overwhelmed? That's certainly the best explanation, but it raises another question, to wit: why do they bother supplies that will either be stolen or destroyed in the event of social breakdown? They do this because their sense of needing to do something is still there, but it's emasculated.
Do you feel the best way to encourage others to arm themselves is to insult them? And yes, saying that a man who chooses to live peacefully has no balls (emasculated) is insulting, and not at all true.

My step-Dad doesn't carry, and in my mind, he's more manly than Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood and John Wayne put together. He built the house he and my Mom live in practically by himself (and Leroy, his tractor lol). If I were straight, I'd be out hunting for his twin instead of posting here, because DAMN. He taught me why I shouldn't carry.

I choose not to carry, because I put my faith in God to protect me. If confronted with someone that wants to kill me, either they will or they won't. I believe when I do die, that I'll go to heaven. That sounds silly to a lot of people, but it's just what I believe. Also, I try my best to emulate Christ. He went to his death without a word. He even prayed for those who mocked, then killed him. I hope I have that much strength when it's my time to go.

Of course this won't work for all, and you should never, ever have to justify to anyone why you choose to be armed. But on the other hand, you shouldn't denigrate others for choosing not to carry.

My step-Dad isn't emasculated, he just lives differently than you, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:52 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Do you feel the best way to encourage others to arm themselves is to insult them? And yes, saying that a man who chooses to live peacefully has no balls (emasculated) is insulting, and not at all true.

My step-Dad doesn't carry, and in my mind, he's more manly than Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood and John Wayne put together. He built the house he and my Mom live in practically by himself (and Leroy, his tractor lol). If I were straight, I'd be out hunting for his twin instead of posting here, because DAMN. He taught me why I shouldn't carry.

I choose not to carry, because I put my faith in God to protect me. If confronted with someone that wants to kill me, either they will or they won't. I believe when I do die, that I'll go to heaven. That sounds silly to a lot of people, but it's just what I believe. Also, I try my best to emulate Christ. He went to his death without a word. He even prayed for those who mocked, then killed him. I hope I have that much strength when it's my time to go.

Of course this won't work for all, and you should never, ever have to justify to anyone why you choose to be armed. But on the other hand, you shouldn't denigrate others for choosing not to carry.

My step-Dad isn't emasculated, he just lives differently than you, and there's nothing wrong with that.
I always look at the profile of posters who are new to the S-S & P forum. I suggest taking a look at this one, especially under the categories of Occupation and Heroes.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...l-1772139.html

Old 07-30-2016, 09:43 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Quote:
I suggest taking a look at this one, especially under the categories of Occupation and Heroes.
I see what you mean.

On any forum, take a look at number of Posts, and then Reputation. The two should at least equal. The better posters have about 2X the Reputation as number of Posts. It may of course not apply to the new members, but as they get to 500 or so posts, a pattern will emerge.

Just one way to see how others have felt, who read before you.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:05 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,955,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post

I choose not to carry, because I put my faith in God to protect me. If confronted with someone that wants to kill me, either they will or they won't. I believe when I do die, that I'll go to heaven.

Good. We'll eat you first! LOL

Old 07-31-2016, 10:18 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I see what you mean.

On any forum, take a look at number of Posts, and then Reputation. The two should at least equal. The better posters have about 2X the Reputation as number of Posts. It may of course not apply to the new members, but as they get to 500 or so posts, a pattern will emerge.

Just one way to see how others have felt, who read before you.

guess that means that people just hate my guts, comparing my rep level to my posting level. a 25% level.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:49 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
guess that means that people just hate my guts, comparing my rep level to my posting level. a 25% level.
(Laughing) No, I don't think so! Was making a point about the above poster, and other 'strangers' who wander over here, giving us grief about the way we think and live and believe over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness