Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 02:02 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
(Laughing) No, I don't think so! Was making a point about the above poster, and other 'strangers' who wander over here, giving us grief about the way we think and live and believe over here.
Hi, that wasn't my intention. I'm sorry you took it that way. All I was saying was that after someone said that men who don't carry are emasculated, was...what I really wanted to say is that my stepdad doesn't have guns, and he's got...*ahem*...huevos that are so big they effect our orbit, slowly causing sea levels to rise in certain places. Al Gore says it's Global Warming, or Climate Change, but he's just never met my step dad. I guess I should have made it clearer what my intentions were, which weren't to denigrate anyone, but to explain why he doesn't have any, and why he taught me not to have any. I read your post and felt bad. I don't know how I could have been misconstrued, but I was. So I feel I have to come back and try to make things right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
guess that means that people just hate my guts, comparing my rep level to my posting level. a 25% level.
Nah, you're pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Good. We'll eat you first! LOL
*chokes*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzHfPN2SC1I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 07:07 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
In general it's not a good idea to eschew any tool. How could you survive if you eschew a hand saw or socket set? What about a set of files and a set die? Everybody owns an awl, right? Eschewing a shovel would be a serious tactical error.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
In general it's not a good idea to eschew any tool. How could you survive if you eschew a hand saw or socket set? What about a set of files and a set die? Everybody owns an awl, right? Eschewing a shovel would be a serious tactical error.
You are correct. However, I've never heard of anyone arguing against owning any of those.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:59 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
? Preppers are one of the biggest flocks. A failure to recognize the actual likelihood of US societal breakdown and selective self-reinforcement of the idea from websites and forums like this populated with other preppers.

When it all comes out in the wash on your deathbed and it hasn't happened, spending your life prepping for something which was never actually realistic outside paranoia and doomsday fetishism is going to reveal preppers as a huge flock of sheep for indulging such a fatuous notion.

no, preppers for the most part are the sheep dogs, not the sheep.

sheep are the ones who refuse to prepare and only want to rely on government to pull them out of whatever happens, instead of relying on themselves.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:40 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
no, preppers for the most part are the sheep dogs, not the sheep.

sheep are the ones who refuse to prepare and only want to rely on government to pull them out of whatever happens, instead of relying on themselves.
WRONG!

We're not discussing real sheep and real sheep dogs. We're using the terms as metaphors. It's not the responsibility or even in the interest of the survivalist to care for anyone outside of kith and kin who think as he does.

I view anyone who calls himself a ''prepper'' as one of the sheep as well. The term is more than a euphemism for survivalist. It describes the sort who is embarassed by guns, gold and right wing activities in general.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:43 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
WRONG!

We're not discussing real sheep and real sheep dogs. We're using the terms as metaphors. It's not the responsibility or even in the interest of the survivalist to care for anyone outside of kith and kin who think as he does.

I view anyone who calls himself a ''prepper'' as one of the sheep as well. The term is more than a euphemism for survivalist. It describes the sort who is embarassed by guns, gold and right wing activities in general.
We banter around a lot of different metaphors.

Sheep dog, prepper, survivalist, homesteader, ... our nation has 300 million there is plenty of room for many different opinions.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:00 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We banter around a lot of different metaphors.

Sheep dog, prepper, survivalist, homesteader, ... our nation has 300 million there is plenty of room for many different opinions.
Absolutely.

After all the trolls we've had over here, and all the name-calling that has gone on, the last thing we need is for one of our own to start splitting hairs about who calls themselves what.

Call yourself anything you like. I don't know of any regular poster here who is anti-gun, or who doesn't own at least a modest selection. As for gold, what you invest your discretionary income in, is a very personal matter. I don't know anyone here who is anti-gold, even if they don't care to scrape the sidewalk cracks in the NYC jewelry district.

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Submariner again".

Old 08-11-2016, 09:17 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,389,092 times
Survivalist and Preppers are not synonyms?

I will state i could see a survivalist possibly wanting a more minimalistic plan, whereas a prepper would be well, heavily prepared. I would think they are almost one in the same however.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:39 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Survivalist and Preppers are not synonyms?
In common usage I find these phrases to mean entirely different things.

Survivalists - train to use a knife, gun and camping gear, with the intent to survive. Perhaps to become looter / raiders.

Preppers - hoard stock-piles of stuff.

Homesteaders - strive to become self-sufficient.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:31 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Survivalists - train to use a knife, gun and camping gear, with the intent to survive. Perhaps to become looter / raiders.

Preppers - hoard stock-piles of stuff.

Homesteaders - strive to become self-sufficient.
...and there's a ton of overlap and shades of gray in between.

Point being, if you are a pot, don't call the kettle black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness