Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 12:56 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times

Advertisements

We have several GRMS. Also a vhf marine (for on our river). And I have a handheld aircraft radio as backup when flying. Also a CB that is worthless... maybe if I had a thousand watt amplifier. I also have a sw receiver - one of the older ones, in a (hopefully) emp proof case in a metal cabinet.

We are pretty good for close coms. The grms seem good up to a couple miles line of sight - don't believe those 35 mile claims. Our older FRMS would barely reach across the Colorado River. Maybe a quarter mile max.

But I'd like the ham two meter for a little better local coms, even during "normal" emergencies, and repeater access for what it might be worth.

Maybe eventually a base for long range - though the hobby aspect escapes me. I figure there will be plenty of ham radios if the SHTF. Ham houses are pretty easy to locate with their giant antennas. But you need to know how to make the radios work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 12:59 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times
Ham licensing is still a goal of mine. I need to not junk up the airwaves if I'm untrained, etc. Being able monitor things in emergency is good but adding to the help is even more valuable, I think.

Ok, keep this thread going as we all need learn much from one another -- & one day we ALL will need pull together as these potential situations loom possibly larger.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:28 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Ham licensing is still a goal of mine.
I'm quite sure you could pass the Technician's exam right now. If you bother to look through the Study book, you likely could take your General exam at the same time. That's what they told me to do, and I passed.

Don't make it out to be a big project. It isn't. Git 'er done!

Old 11-03-2019, 03:57 PM

827 posts, read 660,659 times
The best thing going now is the Undien SDS200 desk top and SFS100 hand held. Anybody have these?

Old 11-03-2019, 06:19 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,977 times
In choosing a scanner get one that covers 225-430 mhz military/govt band... Icom R6 would also be a good idea...

Old 02-16-2020, 01:52 PM

827 posts, read 660,659 times
Uniden SDS 100, SDS200

Old 03-16-2020, 12:28 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Lightbulb A scanner without P25 support is of very limited utility

Apart from a scanner, it's handy to have a modern weather radio with "S.A.M.E. Weather Alert" feature. I love how I can limit not just alerts by region, but also by type of alert message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
Uniden SDS 100, SDS200
+1 this handheld/base unit is a good choice, in part because it has full support for APCO/P25 digital, at least in the areas where P25 hasn't gone to fully encrypted.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:53 PM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I have the C Crane radio, the CC Radio 2E. I had an older model for years that I really liked but it eventually succumbed to old age. I've had this one for several years but I was never able to pick up any ham radio signals on it. Never. I scanned the frequencies and never got anybody broadcasting. I looked up frequencies people supposedly use and there's just dead air.
Do you think it was defective? I get the AM and FM channels and weather channel alerts. Reception otherwise is good. I used to love the older radios ability to get TV channels and have a smaller pocket C Cane radio that had that feature. Then they ended the analog signals and went to digital rendering that feature obsolete.
I'd like to get shortwave although I work nights and wouldn't get much use out of the radio so it would be an expensive and limited usage item. But I might buy another radio. What am i doing wrong with the ham radio channels?

Old 03-17-2020, 06:45 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Post Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
What am i doing wrong with the ham radio channels?
Antenna makes all the difference for ham reception. Go big, go high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness