Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 08:25 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,632,299 times

Advertisements

U don't spontaneously buy stocks only to sell them after 1 year at a loss.... u have to be in it for the long-term or lifetime for it to pay off... similarly u don't prep for 1 year, then quit just because Trump is the new president (sell your stocks at a loss after 1 year)....

Basically u should be into preparedness for a lifetime, otherwise a SHTF will come when u least expect it, during a time which all was suppose to be great. The threat to normal life never goes away but transforms into something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 08:47 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
Agreed....

Care to expand on your point?

Old 11-26-2016, 11:19 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
similarly u don't prep for 1 year, then quit just because Trump is the new president...
No you don't, but some people are relaxing and doing just that.

You can't depend on anything. There is now a movement afoot, calling for a recount of all the swing states. If that happens, what % chance do you give for a fair and accurate recount? These people want to stop the electors (Electoral College) from giving the win to Trump, when they vote on December 19th.

If that happens, talk about civil war! There are deep divisions in this country, and explosive emotions.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:26 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
U don't spontaneously buy stocks only to sell them after 1 year at a loss.... u have to be in it for the long-term or lifetime for it to pay off... similarly u don't prep for 1 year, then quit just because Trump is the new president (sell your stocks at a loss after 1 year)....
Regardless of who the president is they can not remove the possibility of solar flares, or EMPs, or earthquakes, hurricanes, droughts, none of these disasters can be prevented by a president.

Our national debt is way out of control.

In 1933 at the end of the Hoover administration National Debt was $23Billion.
Franklin D. Roosevelt added $236 billion to our National Debt.
Harry Truman added $7 billion to our National Debt [a 3% increase].
Dwight Eisenhower added $23 billion [a 9% increase].
John F. Kennedy added $23 billion [a 8% increase].
Lyndon B. Johnson added $42 billion [a 13% increase].
Richard Nixon added $121 billion [a 34% increase].
Gerald Ford added $224 billion [a 47% increase].
Jimmy Carter added $299 billion [a 43% increase].
Ronald Reagan added $1.86 trillion [186% increase].
George H.W. Bush added $1.554 trillion [a 54% increase].
Bill Clinton added $1.396 trillion [a 32% increase].
George W. Bush added $5.849 trillion [a 101% increase].
Barack Obama has so far added $7.917 trillion [a 68 percent]

We have just a hair under $20Trillion in debt. Both Dems and Repubs seem bent on increasing our debt.

I seriously debt that Trump will lessen our debt.

Quote:
... Basically u should be into preparedness for a lifetime, otherwise a SHTF will come when u least expect it, during a time which all was suppose to be great. The threat to normal life never goes away but transforms into something else.
My 'prepping' is my lifestyle.

We own our home and farm with no debt. We are on solar-power. We grow our own food, we market the surplus food we produce. We have lots of fertile land with extremely low property taxes, there is no 'threat' that I am ever going to lose my farm due to back taxes. We are well tied in with local community of: craftsmen, self-sufficient farmers, hunters, fishermen, trappers, and prepper / survivalist / homesteaders.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:09 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
U don't spontaneously buy stocks only to sell them after 1 year at a loss.... u have to be in it for the long-term or lifetime for it to pay off...
You don't know much about buying and selling stocks, do you?

I have stocks I've held for years...and others I sold only a few hours after buying them. I have even been on the board with bids to buy and offers to sell at the same time on the same stock. Some people even sell stocks that they don't actually own, *hoping* that the price will go lower so that they can buy them back cheaper and make a profit on the difference.

What else do you not know much about, but spout off anyway?

Old 11-27-2016, 06:45 PM

483 posts, read 418,557 times
Never!!! Agreed!!!

Old 12-23-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
No you don't, but some people are relaxing and doing just that.

You can't depend on anything. There is now a movement afoot, calling for a recount of all the swing states. If that happens, what % chance do you give for a fair and accurate recount? These people want to stop the electors (Electoral College) from giving the win to Trump, when they vote on December 19th.

If that happens, talk about civil war! There are deep divisions in this country, and explosive emotions.
The only thing left to stop Trump's presidency now seems to be a JFK scenario. Trump is aware of this too, so hopefully he has an understanding with whatever powers may try that. If he's a great deal maker he has more to offer than Obama so I think he would be fine. I wonder if Trump would do anything with the federal reserve like an audit or abolishing. We've had the Fed for so long people think they're necessary.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Regardless of who the president is they can not remove the possibility of solar flares, or EMPs, or earthquakes, hurricanes, droughts, none of these disasters can be prevented by a president.

Our national debt is way out of control.

In 1933 at the end of the Hoover administration National Debt was $23Billion.
Franklin D. Roosevelt added $236 billion to our National Debt.
Harry Truman added $7 billion to our National Debt [a 3% increase].
Dwight Eisenhower added $23 billion [a 9% increase].
John F. Kennedy added $23 billion [a 8% increase].
Lyndon B. Johnson added $42 billion [a 13% increase].
Richard Nixon added $121 billion [a 34% increase].
Gerald Ford added $224 billion [a 47% increase].
Jimmy Carter added $299 billion [a 43% increase].
Ronald Reagan added $1.86 trillion [186% increase].
George H.W. Bush added $1.554 trillion [a 54% increase].
Bill Clinton added $1.396 trillion [a 32% increase].
George W. Bush added $5.849 trillion [a 101% increase].
Barack Obama has so far added $7.917 trillion [a 68 percent]

We have just a hair under $20Trillion in debt. Both Dems and Repubs seem bent on increasing our debt.

I seriously debt that Trump will lessen our debt.

My 'prepping' is my lifestyle.

We own our home and farm with no debt. We are on solar-power. We grow our own food, we market the surplus food we produce. We have lots of fertile land with extremely low property taxes, there is no 'threat' that I am ever going to lose my farm due to back taxes. We are well tied in with local community of: craftsmen, self-sufficient farmers, hunters, fishermen, trappers, and prepper / survivalist / homesteaders.
Trump has to lower the debt, otherwise I would consider his term of false pretense how I do Obama's, not even trying to reach a basic campaign promise. I had debt but "solved" it by taking a beating to my credit since I don't see myself needing credit in the future.

I dream to have some animals. One day when I don't have to travel for work so much it'll be possible. I consider communities very important, relationships don't happen overnight.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
You don't know much about buying and selling stocks, do you?

I have stocks I've held for years...and others I sold only a few hours after buying them. I have even been on the board with bids to buy and offers to sell at the same time on the same stock. Some people even sell stocks that they don't actually own, *hoping* that the price will go lower so that they can buy them back cheaper and make a profit on the difference.

What else do you not know much about, but spout off anyway?
I know exactly what you're referring to. I've had margin accounts and traded options. But when I talk to random people I like to stay on the same page.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Agreed....

Care to expand on your point?
My point is simple actually. I moved into a city from the country and practically quit being "prepared" how I use to be. Then moved back to the country and realized how I almost gave up prepping. I no longer wait for the market to crash or EMP, etc but it's the small emergencies that can get u hurt. We had a drought in NC and my water quit running. Luckily there was more water down there but I didn't have much fresh water to spare. I would have had to tote it from a lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness