Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 12:40 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times

Advertisements

Alabama has now issued warnings about these little rascals who have emigrated from Florida.

Health officials warn about bacteria in Alabama waters - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 07:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
I remember a Georgia girl that got it from a gash in a accident. They pretty much hacked off all her limbs. Aimee Copeland. Some people would wallow in bs and self pity. Not that one.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:58 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
There is an antibiotic on the market that can lick this stuff, however it is prohibitively expensive. It is however widely covered through most insurance plans, even Medicaid. It's called Zyvox. I have two bottles of it in my medical stores. Unfortunately I have problems taking it. However if I had no choice but to take it or die, I suppose I could be chained to a wall and run a course of it.

Medical supplies are something that should not be overlooked in a preparedness plan. Learning to start IVs, gaining some diagnostic skills, having certain drugs on hand, bandaging, etc are a must have repatoire. Resistant strains of bacteria are a serious issue. MRSA, C Diff/VRE are getting to be a widespread problem and treating them is problematic. There's more to it than just administering the drugs.You HAVE to hang fluids, keep patients in isolation in a CLEAN environment, and if you happen to have the needed medicines , supplies and facilities it's still touch and go. Them little bugs are the most dangerous enemy we have.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:37 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Alabama has now issued warnings about these little rascals who have emigrated from Florida.

Health officials warn about bacteria in Alabama waters - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.
Being pedantic, they haven't "emigrated," which would mean that they left Florida. Migrated and immigrated don't work either. "Extended their range" is more accurate, but even that is suspect. The bacteria may have already been in the waters, but only in low numbers. The warmer environment and ample food causes a population boom.

Bacteria are ubiquitous. What a lot of people don't understand is that our immune systems need to be exposed to low levels of various bacteria to be able to fend off larger attacks. Ever wonder why tourists come down with Montezuma's Revenge, while the people native to the area drink the same water and are perfectly healthy? Their immune systems are up to the challenge.

People with weak immune systems, or who have compromised themselves with open wounds, exhaustion, or other diseases are more at risk. It is all simply part of nature.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:06 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Flesh-eating bacteria? How about flesh-eating black flies? They take a chunk of your flesh right out when they bite, and leave a bloody pit that can take a couple weeks to heal over!

Between those and their mosquito 'wingmen', it can be hazardous walking around outside in the Maine springtime and early summer. When I start chores at 5 AM, I'm wearing long sleeves. The big deck we planned on the back of the house is now screened in. Only way to survive!

Old 07-11-2017, 05:54 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Flesh-eating bacteria? How about flesh-eating black flies? They take a chunk of your flesh right out when they bite, and leave a bloody pit that can take a couple weeks to heal over!

Between those and their mosquito 'wingmen', it can be hazardous walking around outside in the Maine springtime and early summer. When I start chores at 5 AM, I'm wearing long sleeves. The big deck we planned on the back of the house is now screened in. Only way to survive!
Horsefly season here, good thing it only lasts a couple weeks. Dang thing get a grip and try to fly you back to their nest. So you carry a hammer to hit them with, and hope it stuns them long enough so you can get an ax to finish them off!

Dang things take about a pound of meat every time the bite you. Then they have their sniper allies, the deer flies, that are a lot faster and smaller, but will get inside your shirt or pants, then latch on to something you'd really prefer they didn't chew on.

Just waiting for the frosts to come so it isn't a battle for survival just going out of the cabin.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:02 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Horsefly season here, good thing it only lasts a couple weeks. Dang thing get a grip and try to fly you back to their nest. So you carry a hammer to hit them with, and hope it stuns them long enough so you can get an ax to finish them off!

Dang things take about a pound of meat every time the bite you. Then they have their sniper allies, the deer flies, that are a lot faster and smaller, but will get inside your shirt or pants, then latch on to something you'd really prefer they didn't chew on.

Just waiting for the frosts to come so it isn't a battle for survival just going out of the cabin.

Don't let this yokel hoodwink y'all. There ain't no bugs in Montana.

I know this, not because I have been there every chance I ever got and will be there again, but I know this because I live in the Ozarks, and we have all the bugs here! Horseflies, stable flies, mosquitoes, cow ants, hornets, wasps of every variety ever made, yellowjackets(both ground-dwelling and nesting), assassin bugs, brown recluse spiders, and more. And first frost won't be here for at least three months, maybe four. I get more done in the winter. The blasted sun is more reasonable, the humidity makes it feel colder instead of hotter, and I can pick things up, run the bush hog, or take a walk without being attacked either out of anger or hunger by every damn thing smaller than me. Oh yeah, I forgot. the ticks and chiggers are in fine form right now, passing out lyme disease and other goodies to those silly enough to venture into a tall patch of grass or walk under a tree. Which the Ozarks is pretty much covered with...

Guys run into the woods down here to escape arrest, they generally get found a few days later, having shot themselves in the head. I doubt it was jail they feared. I think it was simply being driven out of their minds by the heat, humidity, and myriad insect bites. I would want out, too!

Old 07-11-2017, 08:07 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
... and then there are those friendly fire ants that mass attack your feet, shod in cool sandals, and wholly vulnerable ...

Old 07-12-2017, 03:41 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
... and then there are those friendly fire ants that mass attack your feet, shod in cool sandals, and wholly vulnerable ...
Only city slickers can afford to wear sandals.

When I'm doing chores with the chickens or pigs, I wear knee-high rubber boots. Even then, the damn pigs start chewing on the boots. If my toes were sticking out, I'd lose one or more! The rest of the time, I wear 8" leather boots, with wool socks. Keeps my tooties cool and attached!

Old 07-12-2017, 04:53 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Medical supplies & SHTF situation: don't kid yourself. In a real SHTF situation, you don't need any treatment for minor illnesses & injuries, and for major ones, nothing you could do in the field will ultimately help unless you can also get to a well equipped medical facility quickly. Boy Scouts first aid is the only knowledge that is needed and a tube of Krazy Glue to close moderate skin wounds.

Bugs: rancid bear grease coating-- nothing will come close to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness