Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:37 PM

70 posts, read 149,532 times

Advertisements

My family had reservations for Siesta Key but after seeing the news report we canceled. Don't want to pay all the money to be near the beach and not be able to go into the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 05:02 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,374,769 times
From what I have read and seen on the news it's a naturally occurring bacteria that grows in the warm waters. People with compromised immune systems need to be extra careful. The bacteria can enter the body through any open wound so anyone with a cut shouldn't go In the water. They are also warning against eating raw oysters and such as they can also carry the bacteria. I believe this is something that occurs frequently when the waters get as warm as they are now.

There is also a very large red tide bloom that hasn't affected the beaches yet, it's unrelated to the bacteria.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:20 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
The article in today's Herald Tribune quotes the epidemiologist for Sarasota County as saying that the bacteria levels are no higher than normal.

Of the 11 cases reported state wide in 2014, there were 2 individuals from Sarasota who had medically compromising conditions.

Healthy people have no special risk. You should not get in the water if you have an open wound, or a medical condition that causes your immune system to be compromised like liver disease, diabetes, cancer, etc.

You are only at risk if you have those compromising factors. If you don't have those issues, you may get a sore that heals, especially if you take antibiotics early.

You don't get it from swallowing water either. Stay away from raw oysters though.

Anyway, that is what the paper says.

The waters here seem much healthier than in CA. And the water in CA is really cold. Surfers in San Diego have rashes all the time that they get from the bacteria from the waste run off. Nasty.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:22 PM

70 posts, read 149,532 times
I am disabled with a low immune system so I don't want to chance it. I explained it to the hotel and they told me they will refund my money.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:43 PM

597 posts, read 1,443,568 times
Well I hate to break it to you but you better plan your vacation in Arizona. Vibrio vulnificus is found in ALL coastal waters in the US and even in brackish water (part salt part fresh) and it is found world wide. So this is not exclusive to Florida at all. It's even found in Hawaii so scratch that off your vacay list as well.

People get sick from eating raw oysters (or other contaminated sea food) or have an open cut or scrape that and then go into the water

People who have a compromised immune system are the ones who are most at risk. So any auto-immune diseases or even if the person has had the flu, cold,etc. they should stay out of the water. Other than that it is OK to enjoy the water. So since you say you have a weak immune system, then it would not be a good idea for you. BUT with that said, that means ALL water anywhere in the world.

FYI all oceans have streptococcus, MRSA, enterococci,etc. If you knew what was in the ocean as well as lakes, you would be shocked. But then that will leave you vacationing in your bathtub. I guess you should plan your vacation in some great spot that has a pool.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:04 PM

390 posts, read 609,459 times
Not for nothing, I don't think anyone who knows/hears about this flesh eating bacteria will be going swimming at these Sarasota beaches. Especially if more people are getting infected or dying. Anyone on the Sarasota-Bradenton forum or surrounding areas willing to take the chance?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:18 PM

597 posts, read 1,443,568 times
We go to the beach all the time. Well, at least a couple times a week. The name "flesh eating bacteria" is a name the media came up with to sensationalize it. We are divers/boaters so we would never stay away. I've been in the ocean since I was a wee one and I sure wouldn't stop now.

I did stop eating raw oysters.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:33 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,708 times
Leave it to the media to create mass hysteria over two cases. It is infuriating to me. Yes, we are going to the beach this weekend, and yes we will be going swimming. This has been going on for years.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:07 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Agree...better chance to get hit by lightning, imo.
Or, a car crash, or...
GL, mD

Old 07-31-2014, 07:20 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I went to the beach twice last week and got in the water and I am fine. And I have Type 2 diabetes. Think I will go again to the beach tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area