Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:46 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,629 times

Advertisements

^ This is why I like you so much Noreastah . Be creative and you can "beat" the system by working within its parameters. Beat them at their own game. The LLC is a good idea as well. Nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 11:52 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,484,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
^ This is why I like you so much Noreastah . Be creative and you can "beat" the system by working within its parameters. Beat them at their own game. The LLC is a good idea as well. Nice.
"You must spread some love around before giving it to 6.7traveler again".

Old 03-19-2017, 12:25 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
"You must spread some love around before giving it to 6.7traveler again".
There are only two problems I can see with that line of thinking:

1) It's still only "quasi-legal". If, somehow, news of what the operation REALLY was ever leaked out to anyone who had authority to do something about it, we could be in trouble. I wouldn't want even the slightest risk of that. I wouldn't want to be walking around constantly having to monitor what is said, who comes to visit, etc, etc, just to keep everything operational.

2) I'm not looking to establish a commune just to get away from the rest of the world. If I wanted to do that, I could do it much more efficiently and easily by going the route with just my wife. Rather, the point of the commune is to establish a starting point for the eventual transformation of human society as we know it - a transformation which is ultimately inevitable, and therefore if started now will be substantially less painful than it will be when resource depletion and/or propaganda-fueled human depravity force it upon us when we are ill-prepared to handle it. Therefore, I want the commune to be visible, its operations publicly knowable, and entirely legal even if scrutinized by the most grasping governmental tendrils.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:37 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,484,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
There are only two problems I can see with that line of thinking:

1) It's still only "quasi-legal". If, somehow, news of what the operation REALLY was ever leaked out to anyone who had authority to do something about it, we could be in trouble. I wouldn't want even the slightest risk of that. I wouldn't want to be walking around constantly having to monitor what is said, who comes to visit, etc, etc, just to keep everything operational.

2) I'm not looking to establish a commune just to get away from the rest of the world. If I wanted to do that, I could do it much more efficiently and easily by going the route with just my wife. Rather, the point of the commune is to establish a starting point for the eventual transformation of human society as we know it - a transformation which is ultimately inevitable, and therefore if started now will be substantially less painful than it will be when resource depletion and/or propaganda-fueled human depravity force it upon us when we are ill-prepared to handle it. Therefore, I want the commune to be visible, its operations publicly knowable, and entirely legal even if scrutinized by the most grasping governmental tendrils.
Well, then you will have to do things according to Hoyle.

My scenario is entirely legal. If you cannot trust your "shareholders" to keep company policies confidential, why would you wish to associate with such people? (You don't need to answer this to me).

Old 03-19-2017, 12:52 PM

I think it would be fully legal. Just call it a farm business. Your employees are all part owners and sometimes work strange hours. Or you're starting an experimental building center, where you hold workshops and experiments on strawbale/earthbag/whatever construction.

If you're wanting it to be a visible public example of a commune, I'd still say Alaska for least amount of hassle/restrictions though.

Here's a religious commune by me. At Whitestone Farms in Delta, raising livestock is the Lord
I'm not really into the religious thing, but these people own lots of local business, work together and have a community of some 200+ people that live/work/grow their own together on a piece of property only accessible by boat/ or ice road in winter. There's several other communes in my area, all with religious ideals though. I still like what they are trying to do though, AND that they have the freedom to do it unencumbered. Supposedly no one person is in charge. And they all get a monthly living stipend from the cash that the local businesses bring in. They have a quad/snowmobile sales and service center, hardware store, construction company and their own gas station that they own all in town, not on their commune.

Check out dancing rabbit ecovillage in southern MO. Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage | A Feminist Ecovillage in Missouri. No building codes there, and you could probably grow year round with a heated greenhouse. Beautiful, cheap land with water. I used to like what these people were doing, but now on their main google link they call themselves a "feminist" ecovillage, what's up with that? Feminist is a non inclusive term, not cool. But they do build cool cob houses and try to live together.

The problem with communes is there's either some psycho in charge who becomes a worshipped demigod type figure who has all these crazy rules (that of course don't apply to him), or they get overrun with weirdos and hippies . Good luck.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 03-19-2017 at 01:01 PM..

Old 03-19-2017, 01:23 PM

The whole religious thing gave me an idea. Start your own religion. There's lots of religious protected freedoms in this country, probably the best in the world. People start the church of cannabis in non legal states to smoke cannabis safely. I think there's even some churches that are able to use psychedelic drugs legally such as peyote this way. It's protected because it's a legit written tenet of their religious faith. Your religion is registered with the IRS and your main tenet/belief is that you and the members build their own earthen homes that you live in and commune with nature in. It's against your religious beliefs to live in wooden code built boxes. It sounds crazy, but if you registered your church, had a website and some members you may very well be able to get away with it. Worth a try and you could set a precedent for alternative building for others looking to do the same thing.

It's surprisingly easy to start your own official religion. Complete with full tax exempt status . It's Surprisingly Easy To Start Your Own Church | The Huffington Post You're protected and above board legit. I actually think this would work. If you're ever hassled by the county you could lawyer up and win, setting a new precedent.

If you actually ever do this, I'll come visit, but not to live .

Old 03-19-2017, 01:53 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,677 times
Why would you want to live like that though? A lot of the building codes are not costly and out of line to achieve. The only code i don't like is the minimum sq. footage required in certain areas of the country. The other codes i have no problem with when building a house.

There is a guy on youtube he lives in in a prefab large shed and supposedly it's legal he pulled permits and everything. There are a lot of people on youtube that buy buildings like that and live in them search "derksen building house"

Old 03-19-2017, 02:05 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,226 times
Before I would even think of starting a commune I would wonder what would be different about mine since nearly every other one has failed.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:10 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
The whole religious thing gave me an idea. Start your own religion. There's lots of religious protected freedoms in this country, probably the best in the world. People start the church of cannabis in non legal states to smoke cannabis safely. I think there's even some churches that are able to use psychedelic drugs legally such as peyote this way. It's protected because it's a legit written tenet of their religious faith. Your religion is registered with the IRS and your main tenet/belief is that you and the members build their own earthen homes that you live in and commune with nature in. It's against your religious beliefs to live in wooden code built boxes. It sounds crazy, but if you registered your church, had a website and some members you may very well be able to get away with it. Worth a try and you could set a precedent for alternative building for others looking to do the same thing.

It's surprisingly easy to start your own official religion. Complete with full tax exempt status . It's Surprisingly Easy To Start Your Own Church | The Huffington Post You're protected and above board legit. I actually think this would work. If you're ever hassled by the county you could lawyer up and win, setting a new precedent.

If you actually ever do this, I'll come visit, but not to live .
I couldn't care less what Huffington Post says but my tax protesting neighbors went that route ( officially calling their farms churches) and the IRS auctioned off two of the farms and the other farmers in that church group folded like an accordion .

Talk is cheap and everything you read on the internet is not true.
( despite some dumb blonde on a State Farm TV commercial thinking otherwise )

Old 03-19-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Why would you want to live like that though? A lot of the building codes are not costly and out of line to achieve. The only code i don't like is the minimum sq. footage required in certain areas of the country. The other codes i have no problem with when building a house.

There is a guy on youtube he lives in in a prefab large shed and supposedly it's legal he pulled permits and everything. There are a lot of people on youtube that buy buildings like that and live in them search "derksen building house"
Building codes are great, in town and cities. The problem I have with them is when they are enforced in areas where they don't make much sense. When you have 40 very rural acres and want to build a cob house in the middle of it and don't have neighbors, why is that illegal? It limits some very creative and energy efficient construction ideas and makes homeownership harder and more expensive for people who could otherwise build their own home on their own land out of natural materials without going into debt. Building codes should be used as a minimal guide, but you shouldn't have your rural house torn down if you choose a different way.

Building codes are great for rectangular wooden boxes. If I was to build a conventionally framed wooden house, I'd meet and exceed building code. The problem comes when you want to do something different like earthbag, strawbale, cordwood, cob whatever. So much bureaucracy, red tape and restrictions making it near impossible in many areas, so people are forced to be perpetual renters or are forced to take out huge mortgages just to have basic shelter. Many jurisdictions are coming around to alternative ideas if you have a structural engineer stamp the plans. Some will also let you use alternative products for the non bearing wall in fill for a post and beam structure which is a nice compromise.

A lot of building codes are restrictive and designed to enrich the contractors and building supply industry. I'd be happy with an owner exemption permit, where if you have a certain amount of rural acreage, you'd be able to opt out of inspections, providing you signed a paper saying you could never sell the building to anyone else, it had to be torn down if you were ever to move and if anyone was hurt or killed in it, you'd be fully liable.

I think that is a very fair compromise for some rural areas. Or we can kick people off their land, bulldoze their house down, fine them and eventually lock them in cages for not complying with the building code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness