Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:02 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times

Advertisements

Virtually every job these days relies on electricity. If an EMP were to occur and take out the electric grid - what is likely to happen from a work-earnings standpoint ? If you can't work then you don't get paid -- and if you don't get paid you can't pay the bills. And if companies don't make money because their entire business relies on "tech"... where does that lead us ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 08:50 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Virtually every job these days relies on electricity. If an EMP were to occur and take out the electric grid - what is likely to happen from a work-earnings standpoint ? If you can't work then you don't get paid -- and if you don't get paid you can't pay the bills. And if companies don't make money because their entire business relies on "tech"... where does that lead us ?
I can work with hand tools, although it would limit me somewhat. But honestly, in the event of a national EMP disaster, being well armed and competent, I would likely make more wampum providing security for any one of the several ranchers around me. None of them have large families nearby, and all it would take is losing a few head to rustlers or hungry townies, and they will be wanting to work out a deal with those who can offer some security. I am a good neighbor, I do work for and socialize with some of them, and thus am a known quantity in the area. Being able to fix fence, shoot, move and communicate, and being a trusted neighbor are all good qualities for such a time. As far as money, it behooves one to have savings in cash and PM's, as well as no debt. A combination of no necessary bills and some savings will help a lot in weathering the financial aspect of any crisis. If you have no debt, there is no electric, and you are not driving anywhere, there is no power bill, no car insurance or gas bill, no house payment or insurance, no grocery bill(better have a plan for feeding yourself and your animals without the store), no tv bill, no phone bill... All you need to pay for at that point is taxes, because you can bet the county will still demand them if there is government at all. Everything else you will either make, catch, kill, grow, or do without.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:28 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
If there is no electricity, does it matter that you can't pay your bills? The businesses you owe money to aren't going to know anything because they will not be able to access their files. For a long term outage, certain aspect of society will collapse.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:35 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
This is exactly why we call an EMP attack, SHTF or TEOTWAWKI.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:00 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,870,211 times
If an EMP hits the the last thing you need to worry about is being paid.

Read the book one second after to get a more detailed explanation of what daily life will be.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:49 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
EMP is wonderful. It's the first 100% effective weapon ever devised by the human race. The first test in the 1950s wiped out human civilization. It also burned out some street lights in Hawaii.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:44 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
If there was an EMP I wouldn't worry about paying bills or your creditors. I imagine those who are not killed by rioting mobs, would work for barter, trade. Farmers, carpenters, people with survival skills, and folks heavily armed would be in demand and would survive. I'll trade you an egg for that Mockingkay pin, or I'll help you build that barb wire fence for a chicken, something like that.

Anyway, most people will be sitting on their roofs with a HELP ME sign.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:04 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,870,211 times
If you don't want to read about emps, here is a sugar coated look at what would happen. Its probably about 90% accurate there are a few minor things wrong but that's ok, just semantics.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9z4EnE9baU

It doesn't tell you how bad everyday life would suck but you can draw your own conclusions based on everything that would be down and not working.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:34 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
thank you for providing the link to that video. I'm glad it is by Nat Geo because most people who hear this stuff shrug it off as conspiracy theory - and they add some credibility to it.

we are primed to fall either by circumstance or design - nature or man-made. makes me want to get more serious about preparations beyond what I have done so already. i had purchased a large amount of emergency food awhile back and sold half of it to an ex-marine recently. i asked him why he was buying it and he said that he viewed it as "insurance" and by being "in the system" and "learning things" had come to see where things were headed. gave me the name of a video to watch on "Stuxnet" - something else that can take large portions of the grid down.

i also would not be surprised if a false flag linked to this happened.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:04 PM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times
It just might lead society to question its complete reliance and addiction to a house of cards. Maybe.

I'm sure many bad things would happen along the way because most people go into cardiac arrest if their cell reception goes south for more than ten seconds. The withdrawal symptoms would be horrendously barbaric, but it might not be a bad thing for folks to learn how to wipe their own fannies again. Gadgetry and electronics are great, but 100% reliance upon them is very unwise, not to mention that in some cases, I'm convinced it actually decreases quality of life and society even when functional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness