Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 05:36 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
the knowledge that owning a gun for safety often backfires and you are the one who ends up getting shot or worse.
Yes, that's possible. But the overwhelming majority of gun use for self defense ends in success for the intended victim.

Besides, wouldn't you rather have a fighting chance at survival than no chance of survival?

Here's one example of why women with children should have a gun in the house:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/okla-woman...ry?id=15285605

And here's the tragic story of a woman who did not have her gun with her when it could have changed everything:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanna_Hupp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 05:43 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
The thing about guns that makes them more than your average weapon is the reason they are called The Great Equalizer.

A small female is at a disadvantage in a home invasion or other violent situation. The best chance at stopping the criminal is something that can DISABLE him (up to and including killing) before he gets really, really close. I’d rather learn to use a gun than try to throw knives or hit with a big stick.

Yes, it it possible that the criminal also has a gun, possibly one that fires more rounds faster etc. But in that situation you are screwed anyway...unless you have a better gun and the skills to beat him to the punch.

Fact is, someone high on certain drugs can overpower two strong men, even. Meth has raised the bar on what a person must be willing to use to stop someone like that.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:02 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times
I am not a big fan of guns but respect our Constitution. My husband use to hunt so has hunting rifles with scopes. He also has a9mm and a .38. He brings those with us when we travel in our truck camper (not to Canada, though). He had them before we were married. We can target practice on our land (despite neighbors’ objections) It is just something that he does. Our daughter has one for when she caretakes our place. It is not an issue. Besides, I feel safer.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:16 PM

58 posts, read 76,924 times
If your spouse doesn't like guns in the house, kick her or him out. If they continue to lurk around unarmed like pathetic******* snowflakes get your local militia to help you hunt them down.

#LockHerUp!

Old 01-06-2019, 02:25 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The thing about guns that makes them more than your average weapon is the reason they are called The Great Equalizer.
A small female is at a disadvantage in a home invasion or other violent situation. The best chance at stopping the criminal is something that can DISABLE him (up to and including killing) before he gets really, really close. I’d rather learn to use a gun than try to throw knives or hit with a big stick.
Yes, it it possible that the criminal also has a gun, possibly one that fires more rounds faster etc. But in that situation you are screwed anyway...unless you have a better gun and the skills to beat him to the punch.
Fact is, someone high on certain drugs can overpower two strong men, even. Meth has raised the bar on what a person must be willing to use to stop someone like that.
Yep, this. But it is only part of the solution, one should have doors/windows that are not easily breach-able, such that they buy you time to orient yourself, lock, load and locate to a concealed position. Also, an alarm of some kind (dogs do a good job), to wake you up, are essential. In my sister's small town, a local resident was wakened by someone standing over her bed in a ski mask. We believe it was an "inside job", because the intruder knew they had a safe in the house. Dirty Harry will be a victim if he's a deep sleeper. The world is full of Good People, but there are enough Bad People such that you are smart to be able to defend yourself against them. The Gub'mint sure isn't up to the task. 12 ga. with pistol backup is my recommendation, with lots of practice, so you are as comfortable handling them as a carpenter with a nail gun.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:40 AM

88 posts, read 86,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon_foonman View Post
If your spouse doesn't like guns in the house, kick her or him out. If they continue to lurk around unarmed like pathetic******* snowflakes get your local militia to help you hunt them down.

#LockHerUp!
I like the cut of your jibes!

Old 01-06-2019, 04:57 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon_foonman View Post

#LockHerUp!
This kind of extremism, hatred and intolerance REALLY bothers me.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:00 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times
AlaskaAma's post was very helpful.
I probably won't be back to this thread as I'm not hearing from any divided households. It would be nice to hear from people who understand both sides. I have no use for extremists.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:37 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
The gent whom I've dated ...has a gun collection and an enthusiasm for outdoor sports. I admire his zest for living life and boldness for enduring some horrendous conditions in weather.
He knows without a doubt that I will not bend ...yield...or miraculously decide guns are my friend and savior. We had our open discussion and came to terms with where we both stand on guns. To this very day....Neither of us had to use a gun to protect property or life. I just didn't invest in a weapon to get this far. Penny wise

Even he has told me I'm not the killing type. Which gives him a sense of relief that I won't harm him...so there is that
So OP, when your both staunch on the subject...hear each other out. Don't let an object get in the way of your relationship....and a gun is an object ...not near as loving as the person who you made a vow to.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:59 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
When I traded in a small handgun for one with more firepower (after we got burglarized), my husband insisted I buy a lock for the trigger. To shut him up, I bought it (waste of my money, since we did not have kids). I do not actually use the lock, of course. The gun is for self-defense, so the lock would be a time-wasting obstacle for me in an emergency.

I thought he was totally illogical, since he kept his rifle loaded and standing propped up in plain sight in a room. Idiotic.

I had done a little target practice and taken an NRA basic pistol class. His training: whatever big bro had shown him, and big bro did a VERY dangerous thing when looking at my gun inside our house. I will never, ever let that guy near it again, nor tell either of them where the gun is. Fed up with the mindset that just because they are men they are automatically more competent.

So, even though this is not a divided house the way the OP is asking, there a definite split in mindset regarding what constitutes real safety. BTW, I intend to take more training because it has been wayyyy too long since then. Also, it could take a long time before sheriffs respond to a call; can’t count on getting help soon enough.

What state do you live in? Would the laws there have anything to do with why he asked you to buy a gun lock, instead of just male chauvanism?

To me, neither one of you are big proponents of gun safety. You should have bought yourself a lock and bought HIM a wall rack for his rifle. And a gun lock if required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness