Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 09:52 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,969,317 times

Advertisements

Of course the answer will vary from region to region due to regional risks. Lets keep it simple though. What is a good realistic time frame for the average urbanite to prep for - in your opinion.

Rural areas? As long as one has the storage capacity, I see little reason for country folks not to do long term preps of materials that are convenient for them.

Yes - I am saying that long term prepping is more realistic for country folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Best estimates are that no crisis would last more than 3 to 4 months.

Anything you can put aside would be a benefit. It would also put you ahead of 99% of the rest of the population. Ignore that man behind the curtain, who says there will be a long term SHTF.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:08 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Depends on what you're prepping for. If you're worried about a weather event, 7 days would be a good place to start. If you want insurance against unexpected medical or unemployment, 6 months to a year of food and savings should see you through all but the most severe situations.

Preps aren't just food and water. Being able to pay your rent and bills for an extended period of time can be just as important. Being able to access those funds is important, so having some cash on hand could save your bacon if the electricity is down.

You can stock enough food to last several months in a small space in a closet if you choose wisely. A camp stove with fuel and a heater that runs on propane in a small space can get you through quite some time of power outages.
If you had to evacuate for a flood or earthquake, a good 3 day pack sold by many stores would take care of you getting clear of the danger zone, but I would add some cash and copies of important papers to you pack so you could resupply, get a room, and have insurance information.

If you're planning on bugging in for a period of time, getting one of those bladders you put in your bathtub and fill will handle water needs for quite a while. Having a camp toilet with extra bags and kitty litter will reduce your daily requirements for water.

Prepping needs are a direct reflection on what you perceive as threats.

If I had to live in a city, self defense including a weapon would definitely be part of my strategy.

I live very rural and store what I grow and harvest, and that has to last until the next harvest, so I usually have a year to 18 months of food stores.

If you want specifics, give us the scenario you're thinking of. If you just want a period of time, arbitrarily, 6 months is a good place to shoot for. Most emergencies will be over in that time or less.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 04-01-2019 at 11:16 AM..

Old 04-01-2019, 11:56 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,277,779 times
I would plan on 6 months worth of everything. Six months worth of money to pay bills, six months worth of food, clothing, even prescriptions. Prescriptions are the hardest. I managed to do that by refilling my prescriptions as soon as I could, usually about a week before I ran out. Took a while, but I was able to finally have a 6 month supply.

A considerable amount of necessities can be stored under beds. There are actually container for storing guns under beds.

Good luck and God bless.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:48 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,744 times
Note: none of this accounts for budget.

6 months of supplies is doable even in an urban / apartment setting. It's possible to stash 1 year of stuff but, space will be tight.

More than a year's stuff has some of the following potential drawbacks:

Spoliage.
Cost.
Space.

...and even in the some of the worst long-term SHTF scenarios, most of the competition will quite literally have died off within a year. That would indicate 1 of 3 things (more that I might not have accounted for):

1. Population reduced to a level that competition for resources is far less likely.
2. Society has become feudal.
3. The world has been rendered uninhabitable.

Less than 3 months of preparatory supplies is not wise even if you believe modern society will not permanently fail because, lots of regular incidents can cause damage and disruption for 8 to 10 weeks.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:55 AM

264 posts, read 200,715 times
Couple weeks. If something lasts longer than that, odds are pretty good someone bigger and badder than you is simply going to take your stuff from you.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:46 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,531,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Of course the answer will vary from region to region due to regional risks. Lets keep it simple though. What is a good realistic time frame for the average urbanite to prep for - in your opinion.
3 months for the "average" city folk. 25 years for the best ones.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:35 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,913,377 times
In any urban situation the prep plan should be to leave the city.

Figure out where your bug-out location is going to be and have enough resources to get you there.

Of course, every urbanite "should" have things on hand to get through temporary weather and electrical problems, etc, but those are common-sense items, things a "prepper" probably trips over on their way to the coffee every morning.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:45 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,085,230 times
1 gallon of water per person per day for 30 days.

30 days worth of food.

All this is when you are hunkering down in place. If you are being forced out, whatever you can carry works.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:14 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,123,382 times
For the urban hipster:

3 months supply:

Beard oil
Mustaache wax
Assorted pairs lenseless glasses
1 pair skinny jeans
Assorted pairs ironic suspenders
Ironic Vintage t-shirt

Ironic Vest
Messenger bag or Backpack
Converse High tops
Bicycle lock
Pipe or vape pen
Assorted bow ties
Scrunchies for hair knot
Lace up Doc Martens
Vintage film camera
Starbucks Gift card
Microbrewery gift card
Headphones
Assortment of beanies

Unnecessary items:

Hygiene related products
Socks
Money

Last edited by USMC1984; 04-19-2019 at 10:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness